Racist people Watch

Scipio
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by shinytoy)
i absolutely HATE it.
its one of the first things people ask you. they are like 'hello, where are you from?' even if they dont know you, like they have some right. im british, and if i say so, they ask 'no but ORIGINALLY where are you from' and 'where are your ancestors from'

all of my teachers at school did it. and random people do it anywhere all the time. or 'its chilly, i bet its nice and warm where you come from'

and dont say its not racist, as i bet not one of those caucasians would go up to a white persona and ask the same series of questions.
How is asking about your ancestral background racist? Enlighten me.
Creative02
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Guy01)
I'm black and I've never been asked where I'm from but what I found annoying was when at school, some people would talk to me in English really slowly like I do not know the language properly.
lol that happened to me when i was on holiday in turkey this guy came over and said to me in this really slow english accent "How ... much ... is.... this..?" (like i was stupid) so i just said back to him slowly in the same tone "i ... speak ... english... and...i ..dont...know!" Poor bloke was all embarassed his mates n all laufing. :p:
SaccerZD
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
did he not think you were turkish, and therefore might not speak english very well?
BlueRoses
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
They probably don't mean if offensively, it's just curiosity.

If I asked someone "where are you from [originally]?" i'd probably just mean what country do u have roots in, however many generations back. If that's offensive or irritating, how would u prefer to be asked? No way am I racist, sometimes just curious. I'd ask the same to someone with an accent. Hell, I ask everyone where they're from.
Higgy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Is anyone else on here, of colour, sick to death of people asking them where they were from, when they were born here?

I am.
Its a a normal thing people ask i thought surely? I dont think its racism at all, no matter how tolerant a society if a persons of a different colour to the majority population then people are bound to get asked stuff like that.
chrissay88
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Usually people ask where my parents are from, as my accent is a dead giveaway that i'm Bristish.

I don't mind if people ask me though, as it shows that they are taking an interest
speedstacker
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I sometimes get this kind of questions as well because i'm a chinese-looking Malaysian. I'm living in Uk now. People always ask me if i'm a chinese, i want to say yes (because my ancestors are from china) but i can't say yes because i'm a Malaysian ( i have Malaysian passport and ID card). But i don't know if i should classifice myself as Malaysian since i'm not a native. I'm more chinese looking.

I'm confused! but i always tell people that i'm not chinese but a Malaysian. And then i have to tell them my life history so that they will understand.
hitmanuk2k
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by shinytoy)
and dont say its not racist, as i bet not one of those caucasians would go up to a white persona and ask the same series of questions.
Of course it isn't racist, you are being ridiculous. If a white person came up to me and started talking in an accent other than that which I am used to hearing where I live, I would enquire as to the location of their upbringing. It's just a general conversation starter really. I don't see why it should be expected for the rules of conversation to be any different when it comes to a caucasian talking to a person of Indian (for example) decent. It is not racism, purely interest.
Agrippina
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Is anyone else on here, of colour, sick to death of people asking them where they were from, when they were born here?

I am.
I don't think that's being racist, I mean when chatting with someone you've just met it's natural to ask where they're from, regardless of skin colour etc. It's a way of establishing common ground or finding out interesting things about someone.
jakemittle
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
How is asking someone where they are from racist?..its not racist.
And i'm a black person myself, it almost seems like nowadays, any small thing has some sort of racial sting to it!
jon838
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Ana)
although I do seem to keep bumping into people who claim to have been born in Spain :rolleyes:
maybe you like spanish people?
diskohuelga
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by thats_my_poison)
im chinese but i wouldnt consider it at all racist if someone asked where i was from. im actually quite flattered - anyone chance to talk about myself lol
haha, saaaame!
perfectdenial
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
I think its absolutely ridiculus that people are irritated by people asking them where they are from. As another poster pointed out, what is the difference asking where you are from to asking what time of films you like or what music you listen to? The people who get offended are the ones that have the issue, not the people who are asking. Of course it's a different matter if somebody says something that is blatently racist, but a general conversation starter like that isn't.

I started uni this year and I asked probably most people I met for the first time where they came from. I never considered for a second that anybody would take offence from this but now I am wondering did they? To me it just seems like a natural question when people from all over the place come to uni, its just the obvious ice breaker.
mattydedon
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
yea, well, people think i am new to the country, some actually ask, 'do you like it here in ireland?'

But, the moment i speak, i think it becomes pretty clear that ive been here for a pretty long time

I think its more nice than racist, actually i dont think its racist at all, its people just trying to small talk you

dont sweat it
loveisjustasong
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I love when people ask me where I'm from, only because I love to see the look of disbelief on their faces
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (76)
27.64%
No (199)
72.36%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed