The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Flux
If you don't get EMA it means your parents have enough cash for you to sponge off them.

Haha yeah that's exactly how it feels!

I don't get EMA, so, I got a job. My sixth form frowns on part time employment as well but what's a girl to do?
Reply 41
Flux
If you don't get EMA it means your parents have enough cash for you to sponge off them.

i hope dats a joke!!:mad:

i think the rules of EMA are wrong. why should some people be excluded from get it only because their parent work or work hard for a living?
Reply 42
ayesha ray

i think the rules of EMA are wrong. why should some people be excluded from get it only because their parent work or work hard for a living?

I get a weekly allowance.

very true. my parents earn over the threshold, and they have both been in their current jobs for over 20 years, but worked up to management / director levels. Yet they still pay more tax.

In the interests off equality i think every student regardless should get some sort off financial aid.

Even millionaires automatically get child benefit for however many children they have, so why should 16-18 year olds be discriminated against. Its at that age when we really need it, as we're starting to become more independent.
it means you had a silver spoon at birth!!! LOL!!! (joke - in acse you were wondering)
ayesha ray

So the parents of students who get EMA are lazy and don't work hard as well?
NW8_SW1_EC3
So the parents of students who get EMA are lazy and don't work hard as well?

:ditto: That assumption is just as ignorant and, in the majority of cases, unfounded as saying that everyone who earns over 30k is a rich snob who gives their kids whatever they want. I got EMA for both years of sixth form and my parents both have jobs that they work very hard at, thank you very much :mad:
Reply 46
ayesha ray

I will be getting EMA, and my parents both work extremely hard. Idiot. :mad:
EMA does have good and bad points. For example I know someone whose parents fork out thousands a year for her to go to boarding school but she still gets EMA because they're retired (bad point). But then again, I know someone who has saved their EMA so that she can buy a car which she will need to commute to university everyday because her parents can't afford for her to live in and she wouldn't be going otherwise (good point).
Okay my parents earn well over the cut off point near 80k and can afford to give me £20 a week however

A) I don’t want to take their money even now so am looking for a job

B) Id love to be able to pay my own way through uni with loans etc but the loan i will get wont even cover my accommodation never mind living costs.:mad:

Everyone should get the same say £10 a week of EMA and the maximum loan this government needs to stop discriminating against the higher/middle earners in this society as although our parents may be able to afford to support us through sixth form uni etc it doesn’t necessarily mean we want them to.

We should be all given the same chance and that includes having access to the same benefits as at the end of the day we aren’t earning that much money on our own and some of us would like to be independent and isn’t that what the government should be encouraging anyway.
Rich kids (well, I say rich, people who don't get EMA, which I am one of) moan that it's not fair, but generally (and this is a big generally, it's not true in 100% of cases) if your parents are the kind of people who have the knowledge and skills to have a job with that kind of salary, then the chances are that they will, mostly subconsciously, pass these quialities on to you, enabling you to also get an at leat average paid job. If you don't learn good work ethics from your parents, where's the other big outlet for this? School. If people from poorer families have an incentive to stay on at school, the idea is that they will learn these skills that other people have been brought up to have, and so will be better workers, meaning the tax payer does not have to fork to give them unemployment benefits.

Of course, there are lots of flaws in this idea. For example, there are plenty of people on this website who get EMA, but I am sure that they are naturally hard workers and wouldn't require an incentive to stay on at college, but their family's personal circumstances have meant that they are eligible for EMA. It is probably also not a great idea to automatically assume that if young people spend an extra two years at school, they will magically become these hard working, conscientious people who will bring lots to the economy, because quite honestly, by the time you get to sixteen, if you haven't had work ethics instilled in you already, you probably won't learn them.

I apologise if I have offended anyone in this post, it was not my intention. It is purely my views on EMA.
Reply 50
NileDelta
I'm not sure if my sister can get EMA if she goes to college. My parents ask me but I didn't know.

I get money off my parents instead. Funness. :biggrin:
The only problem I have with EMA is that over half of the people who came back to school after GCSEs only did so that they could claim EMA whilst not doing any work and being able to mess around in the common room all day. They only take 2 AS levels and most didn't even get 5 A - C's at GCSE.

EDIT: ( ^ I forgot to mention, I am only talking about my own school in the above post )
Reply 52
I used to go to a private school and there were people there who had their own top spec cars with personalised licence plates and everything and they got EMA. The good old, our parents are self employed so we can fiddle the books for you to get EMA. Not only that, but you could have 2 doctors for parents, if they were seperated and lived in different houses you could be eligible for EMA.

<(+_+)>
The only problem I have with EMA is that over half of the people who came back to school after GCSEs only did so that they could claim EMA whilst not doing any work and being able to mess around in the common room all day. They only take 2 AS levels and most didn't even get 5 A - C's at GCSE.

Exactly the EMA is a complete joke.
ayesha ray

On the other hand, why should people whose parents work hard but can't get out of the 'working class' not get EMA? My parents worked bloody hard and earnt £7,000 a year between them. Why should you get money? All my EMA was spent on food. Yours would be spent on nights out. Certainly wouldn't be saved for university, because if you got EMA then you'd automatically get all sorts of bursaries and grants, which incidentally I'm also entitled to because I've spent all my EMA and savings on food for the family. And so on. :wink:

luckysmartie
Rich kids (well, I say rich, people who don't get EMA, which I am one of) moan that it's not fair, but generally (and this is a big generally, it's not true in 100% of cases) if your parents are the kind of people who have the knowledge and skills to have a job with that kind of salary, then the chances are that they will, mostly subconsciously, pass these quialities on to you, enabling you to also get an at leat average paid job. If you don't learn good work ethics from your parents, where's the other big outlet for this? School. If people from poorer families have an incentive to stay on at school, the idea is that they will learn these skills that other people have been brought up to have, and so will be better workers, meaning the tax payer does not have to fork to give them unemployment benefits.

Quite. And a point you seem to have tacitly skimmed over, but one I feel I have to mention - my parents didn't go to university and have three O-levels between them, and that's why they can't earn much. Nothing to do with being hard-working. I'm sure Bill Gates is, or was once, hard-working; but no more so than anyone else. He just got lucky. Most "rich" people's parents were lucky to be clever or be in the right place at the right time. Most poor people's parents aren't just lazy, they couldn't earn more money if they tried.
Square
Rich or your parents are self employed so they can fiddle the books to get you EMA.

EMA is a complete joke.

No, people who fiddle the books are a complete joke. Don't go insulting stuff that some people depend on because it's being abused by people who don't deserve or need it.
Reply 55
generalebriety
No, people who fiddle the books are a complete joke. Don't go insulting stuff that some people depend on because it's being abused by people who don't deserve or need it.

Why not? The system is a complete shambles, they need to stop giving it to those who clearly dont deserve it and then give more to those who actually depend on it.
Square
Not only that, but you could have 2 doctors for parents, if they were seperated and lived in different houses you could be eligible for EMA.

Not true as most doctors earn over 30k anyway
Square
Why not? The system is a complete shambles, they need to stop giving it to those who clearly dont deserve it and then give more to those who actually depend on it.

That's completely irrelevant. I got the money I needed. If EMA wasn't there, I wouldn't have done. So it's not a complete shambles.
if your that bothered about a maximum of 30quid a week...get a part time job...i gt ema..n i still got myself a job..tisnt exactly hard......
jh1988uk
if your that bothered about a maximum of 30quid a week...get a part time job...i gt ema..n i still got myself a job..tisnt exactly hard......

Well good on you! But, there are many EMA claimers who don't have part time jobs. I think the point people are trying to make here is the system is flaud.
I'm all for providing financial benifits to those of whom have a low family income. But, however, what i do resent is rewarding these people with bonuses for attendence and progress etc. Why should people work equaly as hard, but be treated differently? It's discrimination.
O.K. the goverment are providing incentives for students in an attempt to create a better workforce for future Britain; surely the weekly payments are enough, it's ludacris to actualy award bonuses for attendence! Unless of course those bonuses are available for everybody to access.
My parents earn way, way over the threshold and therfore, I do not recieve any money from EMA. However, i most certainly don't get £30 cash in hand from them on a weekly basis, let alone awards for attendence; they just provide me with a comfortable home to live in, rent free. I provide for myself in other aspects, wether it be clothing, stationary, books and money for a social life etc, with a part-time job.
Once again i'd like to state I am for EMA, it's a brilliant idea. I just feel certain aspects of it need to be re-addressed.

:eek: >>gasps for breath<<

Latest

Trending

Trending