If you don't get EMA what do you get? Watch

This discussion is closed.
jh_1988_england
Badges: 1
Report 11 years ago
cudnt agree more...im not complainin coz obviously i get it..but i agreewith you about the whole good attendence and stuff..especially when some people didnt have goodattendance and they still got the bonus
Pollypeptide
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by jh1988uk)
cudnt agree more...im not complainin coz obviously i get it..but i agreewith you about the whole good attendence and stuff..especially when some people didnt have goodattendance and they still got the bonus
Can I ask (feel free not to answer) - How much do you recieve a week, and do your parents give you any financial support?

Thanks, Jord
jh_1988_england
Report 11 years ago
got 20 a week...neva had any support..cept for obviously when i was a kid..and had a job since i was 13...im now 18
Bottledwater
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The Bonus bit in particular is really bad! At my school there were pupils who got several U's in their january modules, yet still were entitiled to hundred pound bonuses!
Pollypeptide
Report 11 years ago
got 20 a week...neva had any support..cept for obviously when i was a kid..and had a job since i was 13...im now 18
Did you do well in your exams my freind?
Pollypeptide
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Bottledwater)
The Bonus bit in particular is really bad! At my school there were pupils who got several U's in their january modules, yet still were entitiled to hundred pound bonuses!
Hmm, is it not down to the college/sixth form to inform EMA of attendence and progress?
jh_1988_england
Report 11 years ago
aint gt a2 results yet...but gt bbc in a.s...2marks of a b in the grade c...and 4marks of an a grade in english....dropped psychology half way through year 12 because it boooored me 2much...im aware by some people standards those grades are *****...but i think ive done allright...u?
Pollypeptide
Report 11 years ago
aint gt a2 results yet...but gt bbc in a.s...2marks of a b in the grade c...and 4marks of an a grade in english....dropped psychology half way through year 12 because it boooored me 2much...im aware by some people standards those grades are *****...but i think ive done allright...u?
Ahh, of course, A2 results still pending:P All good passes at AS, not **** at all; and you may get your A in English if your A2 modules went well:cool:
Ha ironicly, I havn't even started sixth form yet. I know, quite opinionated about EMA, when I know so little about it. You can see below what subjects I plan to take this september.
GCSE's pending at the moment, scary times.
jh_1988_england
Report 11 years ago
ahh yh..u seem so well cleva also lol...good luck...biology physics and chem :O..ur mad..but again good luck ...biology is quite good at a-level..hard but good.....i see you aint got a 4th one chosen yet...so il advise you not to do psychology
Mos Def
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Well i dont get zilch as my parents work, and they wont let me sponge off them either, so its a loss loss situation for me
Pollypeptide
Report 11 years ago
ahh yh..u seem so well cleva also lol...good luck...biology physics and chem :O..ur mad..but again good luck ...biology is quite good at a-level..hard but good.....i see you aint got a 4th one chosen yet...so il advise you not to do psychology
That's actualy very good advice, because I was considering Psycology:P
And, I'm not realy that clever, I wish I was:rolleyes: Inteligence is the best weapon!
Pollypeptide
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by T_Bag)
Well i dont get zilch as my parents work, and they wont let me sponge off them either, so its a loss loss situation for me
I think there's many people in your situation, including me!
Do you have a part time job?
Mos Def
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by JordanSHowarth)
I think there's many people in your situation, including me!
Do you have a part time job?
Nope, i find school and a job too demanding, i need to devote myself to one in order to succeed in one... so yeah, im pretty much a tramp. Heh ... im sometimes a removalist on call...thats about it.
generalebriety
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Well good on you! But, there are many EMA claimers who don't have part time jobs. I think the point people are trying to make here is the system is flaud.
I'm all for providing financial benifits to those of whom have a low family income. But, however, what i do resent is rewarding these people with bonuses for attendence and progress etc. Why should people work equaly as hard, but be treated differently? It's discrimination.
Some would say it was just as unfair that our parents get paid different amounts for working the same amount, just in different fields.

O.K. the goverment are providing incentives for students in an attempt to create a better workforce for future Britain; surely the weekly payments are enough, it's ludacris to actualy award bonuses for attendence! Unless of course those bonuses are available for everybody to access.
No, the bonuses are for people who do well, the £30 a week is for attendance.

My parents earn way, way over the threshold and therfore, I do not recieve any money from EMA. However, i most certainly don't get £30 cash in hand from them on a weekly basis, let alone awards for attendence; they just provide me with a comfortable home to live in, rent free. I provide for myself in other aspects, wether it be clothing, stationary, books and money for a social life etc, with a part-time job.
And again, stereotyping. All my EMA money was spent on food for the family. We never went hungry, but even with EMA it wasn't comfortable. Stop assuming all students keep their money. Maybe the ones you hear about are the ones who brag about getting £30 extra to spend on nights out, and the ones who use it sensibly just don't want to enter into huge debates over whether they "need" it or are spongers.
Pollypeptide
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by generalebriety)
Some would say it was just as unfair that our parents get paid different amounts for working the same amount, just in different fields.

No, the bonuses are for people who do well, the £30 a week is for attendance.

And again, stereotyping. All my EMA money was spent on food for the family. We never went hungry, but even with EMA it wasn't comfortable. Stop assuming all students keep their money. Maybe the ones you hear about are the ones who brag about getting £30 extra to spend on nights out, and the ones who use it sensibly just don't want to enter into huge debates over whether they "need" it or are spongers.

See what I mean, I knew somebody would criticise and attempt to construct an argument. So why should people be paid more for doing well, just because there familys are on low income? That just isn't fair. Where is the incentive students from higher income earning familys to do well? The £30 a week is however fair; this I am not debating. I'm afraid that's just how the world works, some people get paid more than others, its a fact of life which will never change. The initiative behind EMA, is to ensure you, yourself recieve a decent education, so that when your children are at college they will not require such financial aid. Did you have a part time job may I ask?
generalebriety
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
See what I mean, I knew somebody would criticise and attempt to construct an argument. So why should people be paid more for doing well, just because there familys are on low income?
Because if they do ****, the government's wasting their time paying them to go to school? It's an incentive, not a reward.

Where is the incentive students from higher income earning familys to do well?
There isn't one. The trend has always roughly been in the past, and still is now, that the more members of your family have gone to university, the more chance there is you'll go. If you're in a family of hard workers, you're more likely to become one yourself. Now while I'm not debating that poor families work hard (because mine does), there's no 'work ethic'. They got home from work, looked after me and my brother, and that's that. No homework, no academic encouragement whatsoever. It was always kind of tacitly expected that, if I did badly in school, I'd only be doing what my parents had done before me. People from richer families generally have further to fall; two doctors wouldn't be happy to see their kid become a manager at McDonald's, but I bet I'd be earning more than my two parents put together if I did.

The £30 a week is however fair; this I am not debating. I'm afraid that's just how the world works, some people get paid more than others, its a fact of life which will never change. The initiative behind EMA, is to ensure you, yourself recieve a decent education, so that when your children are at college they will not require such financial aid. Did you have a part time job may I ask?
I didn't. I was too busy filling all my time with ridiculous amounts of school work, I'm afraid. In hindsight, I should've (and easily could've) got one, I know that now; still, two years not "wasted" at all, so I'm happy.
Pollypeptide
Report 11 years ago
Because if they do ****, the government's wasting their time paying them to go to school? It's an incentive, not a reward.

There isn't one. The trend has always roughly been in the past, and still is now, that the more members of your family have gone to university, the more chance there is you'll go. If you're in a family of hard workers, you're more likely to become one yourself. Now while I'm not debating that poor families work hard (because mine does), there's no 'work ethic'. They got home from work, looked after me and my brother, and that's that. No homework, no academic encouragement whatsoever. It was always kind of tacitly expected that, if I did badly in school, I'd only be doing what my parents had done before me. People from richer families generally have further to fall; two doctors wouldn't be happy to see their kid become a manager at McDonald's, but I bet I'd be earning more than my two parents put together if I did.

I didn't. I was too busy filling all my time with ridiculous amounts of school work, I'm afraid. In hindsight, I should've (and easily could've) got one, I know that now; still, two years not "wasted" at all, so I'm happy.

In all fairness I think your talking complete and utter ****! Most parents of our generation didn't go to uni, but still have good jobs; it isn't the only route to success you no!
I don't see why your trying to create an argument, when i'm merley regergitating the FACTS. There's no way on earth people should be given incentives purely because they come from a poorer background, than another person who works just as hard. Just beacuse parents have money, what the **** makes you think they give it to us? Mine certainly don't, they tell me to get a part time job and work for some cash.
I'm not disputing some people need extra financial help, but I don't agree with discrimination! Which is effectivly what these EMA bonuses are.
By all means, have your £30, I think it's a brilliant scheme, I just feel there's room for improvement i.e. increasing the threshold for which people recieve financial help, so that people who just miss the barrier can also recieve such aid, rather than giving the selective few privaliges such as bonuses for progress.
generalebriety
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Just beacuse parents have money, what the **** makes you think they give it to us? Mine certainly don't, they tell me to get a part time job and work for some cash. [...] By all means, have your £30 [...] giving the selective few privaliges such as bonuses for progress.
You're the one talking ****. I didn't get this money. It came to my bank, sure, but I gave it straight to my mum. Bonuses and all. We needed it for food. We especially needed the bonuses for food, since both my parents work during the school term (school bus driver and dinnerlady), so there was no EMA coming in and no wages. Grow up, I got nothing out of EMA, we needed it or we'd have been thrown out of our house or starved. :rolleyes:

As for uni: a fair point, but most parents got more than 3 O-levels between them. My mum dropped out of school to work; my dad's never been able to get another job because he's just not qualified for anything. He's amazing at basic maths, better than most GCSE candidates I know, and yet he was forced to take a numeracy test last time he applied for a bus-driving job. My parents have nothing in the way of qualifications or experience.
louisedotcom
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by ayesha ray)
i hope dats a joke!!:mad:

i think the rules of EMA are wrong. why should some people be excluded from get it only because their parent work or work hard for a living?
I agree that the entitlement policy for EMA seriously needs looking at, but what you said implies that people who get EMA parents do not work hard which alot of the time is probably not the case.

My dad was in a serious accident a couple of years ago and unfortunatly as a result ended up being disabled. This means that he is unable to work and my family lost his wage. Up until this point he had never been out of a job since leaving school, he had never claimed benefits or anything of the sort. To suppliment the fact that my dad is no longer able to work my mum has had to take up more work. Sometimes working for 8 or 9 days straight without a day off, frequently doing 13 hours shifts with a 1 hour journey each way. She works a hell of alot harder than most peoples parents and I get EMA.
Just because you get EMA it does not necessarily mean your parents are lazy layabouts who dont want to work.

Im not sure if thats actually what you meant, but from that way its worded thats what it implies.
Pollypeptide
Report 11 years ago
You're the one talking ****. I didn't get this money. It came to my bank, sure, but I gave it straight to my mum. Bonuses and all. We needed it for food. We especially needed the bonuses for food, since both my parents work during the school term (school bus driver and dinnerlady), so there was no EMA coming in and no wages. Grow up, I got nothing out of EMA, we needed it or we'd have been thrown out of our house or starved. :rolleyes:

As for uni: a fair point, but most parents got more than 3 O-levels between them. My mum dropped out of school to work; my dad's never been able to get another job because he's just not qualified for anything. He's amazing at basic maths, better than most GCSE candidates I know, and yet he was forced to take a numeracy test last time he applied for a bus-driving job. My parents have nothing in the way of qualifications or experience.

Snap, but i don't get EMA bonuses, o.k. I get a comfortable home to live in, of which im very thankfull; Nothing more. I have a part time job which pays for everything else. EMA is there to subsidise your parents low income, which I totaly aprove of. However, can't you see you shouldn't be given bonuses for simply doing your work it's just stupid? Unless, it's fairly distributed between students from all all classes.

Surely they should give a larger weekly EMA allowence to the poorer such as £40 and scrap the bonuses? seems much fairer, than simply saying: "Hey, here's a wad of cash for doing your work"
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18

Do you like exams?