The Student Room Group

Man Arrested Over Offensive Twitter Comments Over Muamba

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
If this guy had assualted somebody in a pub it probably wouldn't make the courts. But a few words on Twitter and he's behind bars within a week. Ridiculous.
Reply 101
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
He did to begin with but all the evidence pointed towards him so he pleaded guilty in the end and he now faces getting kicked out of uni. It would teach him a lesson his tuition loan would never pay for anyhow. No sympathy whatsoever. Racism isn't okay, it shouldn't matter whether it's over the internet or to someone's face.

Would love to see this so called evidence. He was stupid to write it, but imprisoning him for it was just a joke. A little bit of discrimination never hurt anybody :lol: **Waits4NextBite**
Original post by Lamps08
Would love to see this so called evidence. He was stupid to write it, but imprisoning him for it was just a joke. A little bit of discrimination never hurt anybody :lol: **Waits4NextBite**

His account, he admitted to writing it eventually... why admit to something you didn't do?

As for discrimination not hurting anyone... well, evidently you're not brilliant at history.
Reply 103
His account, he admitted to writing it eventually... why admit to something you didn't do?

As for discrimination not hurting anyone... well, evidently you're not brilliant at history.

Why admit to something you did do, if you can get away with it?- Must have interrogated the poor lad or something :rolleyes:
Reply 104
Reading through some responses, It seems racism is taking quite lightly by some people. Anyone who has been racially abused(whether you are Black,White,Asian) would know the effects it can have emotionally.

I personally I'm happy with the decision, the guy was smart enough to plead guilty and accept his forthcomings. Although the decision seems harsh. It is nescessary and I hope him and others think before their actions in future.
Reply 105
Original post by Lamps08
Why admit to something you did do, if you can get away with it?- Must have interrogated the poor lad or something :rolleyes:

.. ye or not..

I assume he admitted it because it was probable he would have been found out and charged with it anyway thus pleading guilty to it lessens the sentence.
Reply 106
Original post by Tommyjw
.. ye or not..

I assume he admitted it because it was probable he would have been found out and charged with it anyway thus pleading guilty to it lessens the sentence.

That's my point Tommy- How the hell can anyone prove that he actually tweeted it though? Even he can't prove it himself....
Reply 107
Original post by Lamps08
That's my point Tommy- How the hell can anyone prove that he actually tweeted it though? Even he can't prove it himself....

Sure many things can go towards proving it. Look at his internet history.. if he was online at the same time, if it came from his IP etc.
Original post by Lamps08

I hardly think he's a "poor lad", he thought it was funny that someone he didn't even know was close to dying and made racist comments... if he really felt that way I don't see why he had to say it the way he did. There are ways of showing he wrote the messages by looking at his internet history and things like that. If he's dumb enough to write those messages publicly he's probably dumb enough to leave the history evidence on his computer.

Anyway, he's been charged now so that's the end of it really.
I hardly think he's a "poor lad", he thought it was funny that someone he didn't even know was close to dying and made racist comments... if he really felt that way I don't see why he had to say it the way he did. There are ways of showing he wrote the messages by looking at his internet history and things like that. If he's dumb enough to write those messages publicly he's probably dumb enough to leave the history evidence on his computer.

Anyway, he's been charged now so that's the end of it really.

- Apart from tickling him too !! (while all the others are taking their finals) :cry:
.....I would :smile:

I presume he'll still have his full load of student debt to pay off even though they won't let him complete his degree? :eek3:

x
Reply 110
Original post by Tommyjw
Sure many things can go towards proving it. Look at his internet history.. if he was online at the same time, if it came from his IP etc.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-17576745

Welcome to Airstrip One. You want people to be arrested for saying things, this is what is going to happen.
Reply 111
Original post by Kiss
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-17576745

Welcome to Airstrip One. You want people to be arrested for saying things, this is what is going to happen.

Ye lets talk about proposals that havent even been touched by HoL or HoC as if they are definitely happening, very clever =]
Original post by Heather11
- Apart from tickling him too !! (while all the others are taking their finals) :cry:
.....I would :smile:

I presume he'll still have his full load of student debt to pay off even though they won't let him complete his degree? :eek3:

x

Yeah, he'll still be liable to pay off all the debt he's accumulated over the 3 years and won't even get his degree in the end (if he gets kicked out). If he wants to become a forensic scientist he's hard pushed as it is because there are no jobs in it and they are making redundancies, but with a criminal record for racism and no degree... he's got no chance :P
Yeah, he'll still be liable to pay off all the debt he's accumulated over the 3 years and won't even get his degree in the end (if he gets kicked out). If he wants to become a forensic scientist he's hard pushed as it is because there are no jobs in it and they are making redundancies, but with a criminal record for racism and no degree... he's got no chance :P

WOW!! How many thousands upon thousands of ££££££ is that wasted with nothing to show for it?? :eek: I thought they should let another student fill the gap he will be leaving behind as he's sacked from Uni prematurely..... A keen, young person from an ethnic minority could take up his place using the prosecuted man's already paid up fees!!? :tongue:

Nice also to think this racist is also missing all this beautiful summer weather for the next three months or so!! How depressing to be out of prison having missed all the summer degree success and post-exams student frolicks, and having to be off down the job centre in time for the cold winter.

As you rightly say, he's no chance of getting anywhere near Police/forensic work now! Also, doesn't a serious criminal record like that prevent him ever travelling abroad much without special permissions etc?!!
:smile:

x
Reply 114
What's he actually going to do with his life now?
I haven't seen any of his comments but it sounds as if he certainly is deserving of some discipline. He doesn't have freedom of speech on twitter to air his views, twitter is a private site that has a terms of use that gives them the right to dictate what can and can't be posted. Racist or not, saying horrible things about someone who was on the verge of death is an incredibly tasteless and immoral thing to do.

But for some reason I still feel a prison sentence is excessive for this. This is going to leave an enormous burden on him for the rest of his life, certainly messing up his current plans and studies. Partly serves him right for being dumb enough to post such comments in the first place but it seems like they're being especially harsh on him just to set an example and I'm not comfortable with that.
Domestic violence goes on in private homes, and if the abuser has no previous history and just a bit tipsy, does that mean it's not a crime?

:rolleyes:

Domestic Violence involves more than one person so its not private. There is a difference between grievous bodily harm and just saying something , who ever hears it hears it. One is a crime with lasting damage and possibly death the other is a victimless crime.

You can beat someone, say sorry but the scars wont go away
or you can write something, then rub it out and its gone
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 117
Original post by James10000
Domestic Violence involves more than one person so its not private. There is a difference between grievous bodily harm and just saying something , who ever hears it hears it. One is a crime with lasting damage and possibly death the other is a victimless crime.

What?
Libel and slander, with examples, are written and spoken words but don't just 'go away' and neither are victimless
Original post by James10000

If it occurs in a private home it's private but it's in the public interest for the abuser to be punished for it, so I see what you're saying but I meant the environment from which the abuse is taking place i.e. someone's home, that's not open to the public.

Quick Reply