Courses and universities that accept maths studies?? Watch

co2014
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi, For those who've been following up on my other thread, you'd notice that I am going to be doing maths studies next year for IB.

All over the internet, All the comments about the course are negative, with some going to the extent of "did that come with a free McDonald's application?"

I checked many courses in engineering and commerce in several universities, and they all seem to want HL maths, some want SL, and some don't specify,but do mention A-level grade B, which I'm guessing is equivalent to maths standard.

Is it all true? that taking IB maths studies would completely screw you, and you'll end up with a very basic job, not worth doing the IB??? (No offense intended)

I was told by my teacher that I can only do maths studies because I do maths core now at gcse level. Do schools have the ability to decide that?

Other than medicine, are there any other courses or universities that would accept maths studies???
Heeck
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
There are plenty of courses in the UK that accept maths studies (basically any course that doesn't require a high level of maths knowledge) such as History, Geography, politics, law, criminology and I believe you can get away with math studies for courses such as business and finance (not sure though).
co2014
Rep:
?
You actually need very high levels of maths for commercial subjects such as business and economics. I do not really want to specialize in history or language?? :
Heeck
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
There's only so much one can help you with but basically maths studies is fine for International relations or law.

It can allow you to study accounting/finance/business studies just not in top UK unis.

eg:

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/...anagement.aspx

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/c...e-requirements

Those are just two examples that I found in about 5 minutes, so really do some more research.

Also I have a friend in my maths studies university who got an unconditional offer for NYU (New York University) for economics, though not sure how good the university is supposed to be but it just goes to show maths studies I believe is good enough to study economics in some countries (such as the USA).
KetchupSandwich
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by co2014)
Hi, For those who've been following up on my other thread, you'd notice that I am going to be doing maths studies next year for IB.

All over the internet, All the comments about the course are negative, with some going to the extent of "did that come with a free McDonald's application?"

I checked many courses in engineering and commerce in several universities, and they all seem to want HL maths, some want SL, and some don't specify,but do mention A-level grade B, which I'm guessing is equivalent to maths standard.

Is it all true? that taking IB maths studies would completely screw you, and you'll end up with a very basic job, not worth doing the IB??? (No offense intended)

I was told by my teacher that I can only do maths studies because I do maths core now at gcse level. Do schools have the ability to decide that?

Other than medicine, are there any other courses or universities that would accept maths studies???
If you want to do anything sciency, do SL Maths minimum. If you want to do an arts/humanities course however, do whichever you find more convenient. I started off doing Standard Maths but dropped to Studies after a year because a) I found it to hard and b) Maths doesn't interest me and is irrelevant to the degree which I want to do (languages). Before making the switch, I contacted various unis (including Oxford, Edinburgh and Sheffield) and asked if dropping to Studies would be a problem for applying to do languages. None of them minded, except for Edinburgh asking for a 5 rather than a 4. For me, doing Studies rather than Standard has been a blessing: it is SO much easier and I'm confident that I'll get a good grade (hopefully a 6/7). It's an exam that I don't need to do too much work for, so I can focus on my other subjects. I also know someone who took both Maths Studies and Environmental Systems and Societies and is now studying History and Politics at Oxford.

All in all, if you want to do anything that might potentially involve maths, take Standard. If you don't, take Studies. It'll make things easier in the long run.
chasingdream
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you want to study natural sciences, economics/business, psychology (considered a science), medicine, take Maths SL minimum. Actually, most good unis require Maths HL for economics (Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, etc.). Although Law may not seem to have much to do with Maths, universities usually want students who do at least Maths SL because it shows your logical ability, which is vital to the study of Law. Of course, Math Studies should be fine for history, languages, and arts.
co2014
Rep:
?
Is there any economics/business/commerce-oriented university willing to accept me with maths studies? how about medicine or something?

My official choices are as follows:

Hl economics, physics, chemistry
SL english, language 2, math studies

Do schools have the power to chose your subjects? can I move up to sl maths instead?

One last thing, is there much of a difference between studies and SL?? Would a transition be smooth, or would it be like stepping into another world?

Oh and, do you need a graphic calculator for SL/Studies?
username460525
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Even Oxbridge accept Maths Studies as long as maths isn't needed for the course. I have an offer from Cambridge to do languages, and I do Maths Studies.

You are certainly NOT going to end up with a basic job because of maths studies! I would try emailing Universities to ask them about their entry requirements - you're in the same boat as A-Levelers who don't have a maths A-Level/only did AS.
saachi
Badges: 13
Report 7 years ago
Whoever says you can't get into a good uni or course with Math Studies is lying.

I take Studies and applied for English Literature and got all 5 offers from Durham, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Exeter, and Aberdeen. They didn't have a problem with it.

I got an A in IGCSE math, and I don't know how, I suck so bad I can barely get a 5 at Studies, but maybe that's because I never ever study and despise the subject.

Just to clarify, when I was deciding which university to apply to back in October, I found that the only ones who didn't accept Math Studies for a humanities course were York and Strathclyde. Just 2. Like the person above me said, Even Oxbridge accept Studies when it isn't required for the course.

And for all those people calling Studies students stupid or useless, remember that in A-levels those same students wouldn't even have to take math, and could get AAA while taking their strengths, just like I'm getting 776 at my HLs. Everybody has their strengths and weaknesses, don't be ashamed of taking Studies
WLDL3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I take studies and applied for English lit, too. Got accepted to Durham, Nottingham, King's London and waiting for a reply from Warwick. Oxford had no problem with me taking Studies, but I messed up my ELATs. But, if you want to study engineering or a science, they will probably ask for a higher maths level. I know a few people who got accepted to Econ at a uni with math studies, but generally prestigious unis ask for Math HL (why, I have no idea) to study econ...
KetchupSandwich
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

My official choices are as follows:

Hl economics, physics, chemistry
SL english, language 2, math studies
If you're considering Physics Higher then I really don't recommend Maths Studies. Physics is basically applied maths and if maths isn't a particular strength of yours then you're going to find it very very hard. I got A*s in each separate science for GCSE and an A in Maths and I seriously struggled with Standard Level Maths and Physics. I took Maths at Standard for a year and then dropped to Studies and I really think my Physics would have suffered if I hadn't done at least some of the Standard course. You need vectors and logs for Physics which aren't covered in Studies. I'm now much happier doing Studies, but I still really struggle with Physics. I can't stress how confident you have to be with Maths to really get to grips with it.
Chemit
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Actually I'm not even sure that you can take medicine with SL maths studies.

I'm applying for Medicine and most unis (at least the one's I am looking at) require you to take HL Chemistry, another science at HL, and SL Maths with at least a grade of 5.

But to say that taking Maths Studies will get you a job in McDonalds is just a tad ridiculous. xD Don't listen to them :P
ninetydegrees
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by saachi)
Whoever says you can't get into a good uni or course with Math Studies is lying.

I take Studies and applied for English Literature and got all 5 offers from Durham, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Exeter, and Aberdeen. They didn't have a problem with it.

I got an A in IGCSE math, and I don't know how, I suck so bad I can barely get a 5 at Studies, but maybe that's because I never ever study and despise the subject.

Just to clarify, when I was deciding which university to apply to back in October, I found that the only ones who didn't accept Math Studies for a humanities course were York and Strathclyde. Just 2. Like the person above me said, Even Oxbridge accept Studies when it isn't required for the course.

And for all those people calling Studies students stupid or useless, remember that in A-levels those same students wouldn't even have to take math, and could get AAA while taking their strengths, just like I'm getting 776 at my HLs. Everybody has their strengths and weaknesses, don't be ashamed of taking Studies
Hi just wondering what were your IGCSE grades like? and how much emphasis does durham, edinburgh and glasgow place on IGCSE grades? Do they contextualise them as well?
saachi
Badges: 13
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ninetydegrees)
Hi just wondering what were your IGCSE grades like? and how much emphasis does durham, edinburgh and glasgow place on IGCSE grades? Do they contextualise them as well?
I got all A's and 1 B (in geography), but I don't think IGCSE are very important at all- they'll be looking at your IB/ A-level grades more. Edinburgh do say that they want people with a string of A* GCSE's but those are a bit different to IGCSE's, and in any case your IB/ equivalent grades and personal statement are far more important. Seriously don't worry if you've got B's and C', as long as you're predicted 37 points or more you stand a good chance.
thelittlerag
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It depends on what course you'd want to do in uni - obviously taking Studies won't fare well in Engineering studies and the like. It's not completely the end of the world though, a guy in my school got a law offer from LSE while doing Studies... so yeah, quite dependent on what your future subject is (:
clairey31
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you look at the other million threads on this topic you will see that maths studies is completely fine as long as you don't want to do maths, physics, chemistry or economics type things in the future. I do maths studies and I have offers for politics, and I have friends with offers for psychology and computer science, all of whom do maths studies!

Posted from TSR Mobile
username1082314
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm doing math studies and I've got 5 offers I guess it all depends on subject you want to study later though.
ninetydegrees
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by saachi)
I got all A's and 1 B (in geography), but I don't think IGCSE are very important at all- they'll be looking at your IB/ A-level grades more. Edinburgh do say that they want people with a string of A* GCSE's but those are a bit different to IGCSE's, and in any case your IB/ equivalent grades and personal statement are far more important. Seriously don't worry if you've got B's and C', as long as you're predicted 37 points or more you stand a good chance.
I see, thanks!
Runner210
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hello, i was wanting to contact Oxford university too and was wondering who you contacted?

Thank you
mlyhrs
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

There are many (worthwhile) courses which will accept Maths Studies. Obviously, more advanced degrees like engineering which require a high standard of maths are less likely to accept maths studies. If you are unsure, or the level of maths required is not specified, email the course director to clarify this issue.
Maths Studies is there for a reason; so that students who wouldn't usually take maths to the next level butr are prepared to in order to be more competitive candidates.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (416)
67.31%
No (202)
32.69%

Watched Threads