Uni of Dundee accommodation 2012/13

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Heathfield flat 16 room 3 checking in! Any flatmates out there? =D
Campus Green, University of Dundee
University of Dundee
Reply 201
Original post by harisdr
Hahaa I get teased for it too! 'Goodluck in Scumdee' is a popular one.. I hope the rumours of it being scummy arnt true!

Well apparently the east end is pretty dodgy... But every city has an area like that. And everyone who I've asked has said that you don't really ever need to leave the west end during your whole time at uni :smile: x
Reply 202
Original post by :Sarah
I'm going to be in DixD, so might see you quite a bit in first year! :smile:

Ahh! There's tons of people here from DixD! Really exciting =D Where are you from? :smile: x
Reply 203
Original post by invisiblegal
Hello! I'm in Belmont Flats, Flat 43. Anyone in the same flat as me?
Btw I'm an international student doing Dentistry:smile:

Flat 44! Doing Geography
Just thought I'd list the links to the various halls' Facebook groups.

Belmont Flats: https://www.facebook.com/groups/234592503308411/

Heathfield: https://www.facebook.com/groups/401575166530161/ (77 members already!)

Does anyone know of any others? Or want to create one?
Reply 205
Original post by richarrrdo
I am indeed! I remember talking with you via YouGo last year. I deferred my place and now i'm starting in September.

Can I just say your portfolio site is astounding! Gave me the kick up the backside to finally get started on putting something together for myself!

Would you have any advice about preparing for the course? Anything I can do before September which might help?

I'm going to be in DixD, so might see you quite a bit in first year! :smile:

Yeah remember you from YouGo as well :smile: thanks for the portfolio but remember I've been doing a long graphic design course before coming here so don't put pressure on yourself with this kind of work.
I don't really know what you can do before the course, if you can get it somewhere, read Designing Interactions by Bill Moggridge, it's an invaluable reference, but I think it's quite expensive and you can read it for free at the library once you get here so no hurry if you can't buy it.
Apart from that you can just play around with graphic packages (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign) if you're not familiar with it, and start learning HTML/CSS as well. You'll be taught the basics of it, but it's really helpful to have a good grip of it beforehand because it won't be covered in much detail. If you're not familiar with computing at all I suggest you start tinkering with PHP, Javascript or even Processing (you'll normally have a semester of a module called "People-Centred Computing" where you'll learn Processing, it's a simple language but if you never heard of variables, functions, classes or other programming concepts it'll be helpful to start teaching yourself before starting).

Original post by Lannie447
I'm going to be doing that course! Except technically I'm a Product Designer... But it's a joint first year anyway :smile: Sorry... Just thought I'd throw that in there... :wink:

Original post by richarrrdo
O_o. Never knew DIxD shared a 1st year with Product Design.
This course gets better and better.

Technically it's not a joint first year, but you usually have a shared module (Design Studies). I'm not sure about next year cause the programme is constantly changing so you may have something different, but usually they do their best to help PD and DIxD students know each other, it's always helpful :wink:

Original post by niamh_sweeney
Hiya, just wondering on how you find belmont towers :smile:? got allocated there lol

It's quite good. A bit disappointing because it's older and not as comfy as Belmont Flats or Heathfield, but other than that it's still really nice to live in :smile:

Original post by sdillon590
G6.06. So I'm assuming that means 6th floor, flat 6?! Or something... :/ :colondollar:

Indeed. If needed (it might be useful posting that on your FB group):

flat GB is the basement (Basement) with 4 rooms

flats GG (Ground Floor) and G1 to G9 (level 1 to 9) have 8 rooms

flats BL and BU (Belmont Lower and Upper) are in the stilts, just next to the tower/union, and if I'm not mistaken they have 10 rooms each.

Reply 206
Ahh! There's tons of people here from DixD! Really exciting =D Where are you from? :smile: x

Really?! I always thought it can't be that popular because I could never see anybody talking about it! I'm from Falkirk :smile: SO excited to get away to Dundee though haha, yourself? :biggrin: x
Reply 207
Original post by DeadPixel

Technically it's not a joint first year, but you usually have a shared module (Design Studies). I'm not sure about next year cause the programme is constantly changing so you may have something different, but usually they do their best to help PD and DIxD students know each other, it's always helpful :wink:

Yeh, at the product interview it was mentioned that there would be parts that are more focused on one course or the other, but that generally this year they're bringing them 'closer together'. I think they might have said in DixD that it was going to be shared... Or that the first module was shared... I can't remember. I don't really mind. :rolleyes:
Reply 208
Yeh, at the product interview it was mentioned that there would be parts that are more focused on one course or the other, but that generally this year they're bringing them 'closer together'. I think they might have said in DixD that it was going to be shared... Or that the first module was shared... I can't remember. I don't really mind. :rolleyes:

Yeah as I said there are massive changes to the course next year so I'm not entirely sure of what's happening for you guys.
I just checked and the last course restructure draft I could find included, for first years, "2D sketching", "3D sketching" and "Picture/Symbol/Icon" modules for the first semester, and "Insight Gathering, Idea Generation & Research Skills" and "Introduction to Social Digital" for the second.

These are all these design modules and are usually shared between DIxD and Product Design so it might indeed be much closer to PD than what I've known, but I'm pretty sure these have changed since though, you should have some computing modules in first year instead of only design ones.

Also, Lannie447 just said there are tons of people in the course: to give you an idea, there are usually around 20 people in the course each year, so it's rather small (but very friendly).
Reply 209
Original post by Camppu
Is there anyone who's going to stay at West Park, flats or villas?? :smile:

Yep! West park flat 6! Have you gotten your accomodations yet?

Original post by alrichardson
Hi I'm in West Park flats, flat 6 too!! I'm in room 3 and my friend is in room 4!!

Oh Yes!! Finally someone in west park and in the same flat! :biggrin:

Anyway what course are you taking?
Reply 210
Original post by Student-S
Yep! West park flat 6! Have you gotten your accomodations yet?

Oh Yes!! Finally someone in west park and in the same flat! :biggrin:

Anyway what course are you taking?

Nice, someone in west park! I'm in the villas and now it seems that i should've gone for the west park flats...:biggrin: But anyway, I think the villas are okay too haha.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 211
Original post by Camppu
Nice, someone in west park! I'm in the villas (villa 24) and now it seems that i should've gone for the west park flats...:biggrin: But anyway, I think the villas are okay too haha.

Haha oh darn, I wanted to choose the villas but decided there's not much difference between the two anyway.

Hmm, no Facebook group for the west park peeps? :/
Well apparently the east end is pretty dodgy... But every city has an area like that. And everyone who I've asked has said that you don't really ever need to leave the west end during your whole time at uni :smile: x

I was up in Dundee visiting a friend once and we were approached at a bank machine in the city centre by a guy who was trying to sell us stolen goods. He had a VCR, a spice rack and a ring which he was modelling (fantastic selection...). If you just tell them you're not interested they leave :smile:

Indeed. If needed (it might be useful posting that on your FB group):

flat GB is the basement (Basement) with 4 rooms

flats GG (Ground Floor) and G1 to G9 (level 1 to 9) have 8 rooms

flats BL and BU (Belmont Lower and Upper) are in the stilts, just next to the tower/union, and if I'm not mistaken they have 10 rooms each.

Oh thank you so much!! :biggrin: I must go try and locate this Belmont Towers facebook group then so!! :')
Reply 214
Original post by harisdr
Yes! Just got my offer Heathfield Flat 66 :biggrin:

I live in Flat 67 atm, which is opposite 66, 1st floor. If block 9 is anything like it has been this year, you'll enjoy it :')
Belmont Flats, Flat 28, room 4 :biggrin:
Reply 216
Original post by Sarky.
I live in Flat 67 atm, which is opposite 66, 1st floor. If block 9 is anything like it has been this year, you'll enjoy it :')

Do you know what floor flat 5 is on? Thought it was on the ground floor but some people have been telling me otherwise :confused:
Reply 217
Yeah as I said there are massive changes to the course next year so I'm not entirely sure of what's happening for you guys.
I just checked and the last course restructure draft I could find included, for first years, "2D sketching", "3D sketching" and "Picture/Symbol/Icon" modules for the first semester, and "Insight Gathering, Idea Generation & Research Skills" and "Introduction to Social Digital" for the second.

These are all these design modules and are usually shared between DIxD and Product Design so it might indeed be much closer to PD than what I've known, but I'm pretty sure these have changed since though, you should have some computing modules in first year instead of only design ones.

Also, Lannie447 just said there are tons of people in the course: to give you an idea, there are usually around 20 people in the course each year, so it's rather small (but very friendly).

Sounds good to me :smile: Thanks for all this info!
Reply 218
Original post by Sarky.

Hahaha looking forward to it now! First floor? Great! Not too many stairs yet not on the ground floor to hear all the party animals stumble in at 4am! :wink: what course are you doing? x
Reply 219
Do you know what floor flat 5 is on? Thought it was on the ground floor but some people have been telling me otherwise :confused:

In heathfield right? You're next to the Santuary office, so there's flats 1-7 in the first block, so you'll be second floor. :smile:

Original post by harisdr
Hahaha looking forward to it now! First floor? Great! Not too many stairs yet not on the ground floor to hear all the party animals stumble in at 4am! :wink: what course are you doing? x

Haha exactly, I have a mate in 64 (ground floor) who gets knocks on his window at 4am, along with other things you'll find out when you get here lol. I'm doing geography.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending