Taking own cast off

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Megaross
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Anyone know if they get funny about you taking your own cast off?
I broke my hand saturday and got it sorted today, but 2 weeks time when this comes off my mate wont be able to give me a lift to the hospital and it'd be like £30 in taxis.

I've got some tin snips in me toolbox, they'll cut plaster like butter.

verdict?
thompsonic7
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Sounds like the beginning of a story in which someone cuts their own hand off..
username600675
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
get the bus?
tehforum
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
OFF OFF OFF.

Must be a relief when you get it off.
Billton
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Megaross)
Anyone know if they get funny about you taking your own cast off?
I broke my hand saturday and got it sorted today, but 2 weeks time when this comes off my mate wont be able to give me a lift to the hospital and it'd be like £30 in taxis.

I've got some tin snips in me toolbox, they'll cut plaster like butter.

verdict?
Do it!
Megaross
Rep:
?
(Original post by thompsonic7)
Sounds like the beginning of a story in which someone cuts their own hand off..
I left my angle grinder back home
ihearthomos
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Don't be a douche, man up and get the bus - that's about £3, not exactly breaking the bank.
Madprof
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The appointment in a couple of weeks' time won't just be about taking the cast off - they'll also want to check how your hand is healing - by examining you and maybe taking X-rays. So it's important that you go back to hospital.

Can you use public transport? Re-arrange the appointment to a time your mate is around? Find someone else to give you a lift?
Megaross
Rep:
?
(Original post by ihearthomos)
Don't be a douche, man up and get the bus - that's about £3, not exactly breaking the bank.
Time is money, we dont all spend our days playing hackey sack and discussing twilight.

Plus busses are full of janners.
jeh_jeh
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Don't do it, seriously! They use special circular saws at the plaster clinic, and I've been cut by one before - so DEFINITELY don't DIY!
kidoo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Time is money, we dont all spend our days playing hackey sack and discussing twilight.

Was gonna suggest some good advice until you said this.

If you don't have the mental will to take public transport to the hospital then you should just go ahead and possibly cut your arm off.
minimarshmallow
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

I'm sure you'll have plenty of time for 'playing hackey sack and discussing twilight' when you end up back in hospital because either cut yourself trying to remove it and/or you ****ed up your hand by removing your cast early and not having the healing checked by a medical professional.
Get the bus you idiot.
ihearthomos
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
"Time is money, we dont all spend our days playing hackey sack and discussing twilight.

Plus busses are full of janners."

Time is money? Who on earth do you think you are? I think you need a reality check.
Plymouth is full of "janners" you arrogant moron. You clearly are lacking in self esteem if you need to post on a forum to get some form of approval. You could have just as easily made the decision yourself or phoned a doctor.

You obviously are more intelligent than the doctors and the internet clearly provides you with excellent medical advice so what do you need our advice for?
JoeK
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
There's more to it than just having the cast taken off. They have to check that it's healed well etc.

I agree with everyone else about the bus part, too.
Clare~Bear
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You'll probably end up doign more harm than damage and they might want to assess it to see if you need any further treatment which could be damaging if you don't have it.

Can't you rearrange the appointment for a day or two later, when you can get a lift?
Riderz
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
In 2 weeks? Must be a small bone, not sure Ive heard of any cast coming off after only 2 weeks. You sure its not just a checkup?

Erm, otherwise yeah why not? Cant be hard. But be aware that if you slice yourself then you'll have to go to hospital anyway, it'll kinda defy the point.
Megaross
Rep:
?
I was just wondering if the doctors get all funny about it, like calling you up etc.

I know how to assess a hand. Does it work, do all the fingers line up, if yes then no xray required it's healed good.
It was only 5th metacarpal fracture which had impacted on itself slightly, it's not the end of the world.

I'm not taking a bus. Simple as. Waste of a couple of hours I could be doing something productive.

Plus you dont need a saw, these snips can cut through sheet steel like butter and theyre rounded at the ends. Last time I had a cast they used similar things to take it off and that was a full arm cast.
buchanan700
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I was just wondering if the doctors get all funny about it, like calling you up etc.

I know how to assess a hand. Does it work, do all the fingers line up, if yes then no xray required it's healed good.
It was only 5th metacarpal fracture which had impacted on itself slightly, it's not the end of the world.

I'm not taking a bus. Simple as. Waste of a couple of hours I could be doing something productive.

Plus you dont need a saw, these snips can cut through sheet steel like butter and theyre rounded at the ends. Last time I had a cast they used similar things to take it off and that was a full arm cast.
If you're too arrogant to catch the bus (which, if you really do live in Swindon, is non-stop to the hospital therefore won't take that long), then go for it. just do it. There's no sensible suggestion that anyone could post to convince you otherwise so just do it. You'll probably cut yourself and it might not even be healed probably, but just go.
InArduisFouette
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
once again Megaross proves that a better use for his tin snips might be a castration to prevent him from reproducing ...

Yeah, take the cast off if you want, just don't come crying to us when you have problems for being such an utter utter twunt...
minimarshmallow
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

And what happens if you self-assess your hand and it isn't fine and you have to go to the hospital anyway?
Yeah, they'll probably phone you up.
Last time I had to go to the hospital I took my uni reading with me for on the bus and for when I was in the waiting room (I am always early for appointments).

But whatever, you clearly know better. Why bother asking us for advice and then ignore it?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (62)
12.94%
Virtual campus tours/open days (111)
23.17%
Live streaming events (44)
9.19%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (46)
9.6%
A uni comparison tool (109)
22.76%
An in-person event when available (107)
22.34%