The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by buchanan700
If you're too arrogant to catch the bus (which, if you really do live in Swindon, is non-stop to the hospital therefore won't take that long), then go for it. just do it. There's no sensible suggestion that anyone could post to convince you otherwise so just do it. You'll probably cut yourself and it might not even be healed probably, but just go.

I live in Plymouth for uni, hospitals miles away. If they'd kept freedom fields then it'd be fine but apparently putting it in arse end of nowhere and destroying a gorgeous building was sensible.

I dont get whats so bad about having a badly healed bone? If it works it works, if not go back to the doctors, simple isnt it.

The point is, I wanted to know if the doctors get all pissed off about you taking your own cast off. Not, should I do it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Megaross
I live in Plymouth for uni, hospitals miles away. If they'd kept freedom fields then it'd be fine but apparently putting it in arse end of nowhere and destroying a gorgeous building was sensible.

I dont get whats so bad about having a badly healed bone? If it works it works, if not go back to the doctors, simple isnt it.

Why gamble when you could just go to the doctors and get it over with, instead of risking it?

It's stupid, but whatever.

The point is, I wanted to know if the doctors get all pissed off about you taking your own cast off. Not, should I do it.

I also go to Plymouth uni, and have had to get the bus and taxi to the hospital before when I dislocated my shoulder and needed physio. If it's Derriford you are after, you can get a bus just outside of the uni (along the road opposite Bac bar). Or I think the taxi cost me £10 each way.

Can't remember the number of the bus, but it wasn't difficult to find, just wonder over there and ask one of the drivers. Or look on the transport site.

I would just go, it would be stupid not to. There might be further complications...

Edit: quick google search found this: http://www.plymouthhospitals.nhs.uk/patients and visitors/Getting Here/Documents/Travelling to Derriford Hospital.pdf
You really have no excuse now, it's not a difficulty to get the bus.
(edited 12 years ago)

they won't get pissed off, they'll just think you're a monumental idiot.
If you do decide to DIY, please cancel the appointment; not turning up to the appointment will piss them off more.
Anyone know if they get funny about you taking your own cast off?
I broke my hand saturday and got it sorted today, but 2 weeks time when this comes off my mate wont be able to give me a lift to the hospital and it'd be like £30 in taxis.

I've got some tin snips in me toolbox, they'll cut plaster like butter.

verdict?

Go to the hospital the day before or after you are meant to - simply call them to rearrange the appointment.

If not then go back to the doctors and what?
Ask them to rebreak your bone and set it into a better position?
I have a solution. Cut it yourself, then injure yourself, then get an ambulance straight to A&E. Result!
Original post by umop apisdn
I have a solution. Cut it yourself, then injure yourself, then get an ambulance straight to A&E. Result!

It's meant to get taken off in 2 weeks. They won't take it off now just because he can get to the hospital.
Reply 28

If you have any sense you DO NOT want a bone resetting. It is more painful than you can imagine... Plus another 2 weeks back in plaster, and depending on how it has heeled the first time it might not go straight without surgery and opening your hand up to remove parts of the bone. Speaking from experience - Ive broken both bones in my arm and my nose 4 times - by far the most painful one was when my nose was reset. No anaesthetic or gas, just a big doctor and a loud crack. :cry:
Original post by RichyFrench
It's meant to get taken off in 2 weeks. They won't take it off now just because he can get to the hospital.

Think you misunderstood my post...
The hospital in Plymouth is a 30 min bus ride (at most) from the city center if you get the 42.

Megaross you clearly have "more productive" things to do, such as posting useless threads on this forum.
My brother broke his wrist on the 8/2/21 - had half a cast put on after x-rays etc and 11 days later took it off himself. He had a panic attack on day 11 and in the small hours he whipped it off with my help. Its day 14 and he has a hospital appointment today. He's bricking it. He said he'd only have half the length of cast put back on if at all. I'm worried re any future pain etc

Latest