YaaahSarah
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Here's the deal : I just did my mocks and i got a B in Business Studies. My Teacher is an Idiot. He honestly does not care about the students and does not teach us anything. I am hardworking and i've taught myself all year. I have no one to turn to since he is the ONLY business teacher. I WANT to get an A* and i am not gonna let him stand in my way.

I almost feel like he wants us to fail. Its Cruel , even i can't believe it. I try to ask on how i can improve my answers; he just ignores me.I don t know why he hates students so much. Time is closing in and i need to improve fast. I was wondering ,if those of you with good teachers/ got an A* before, might wanna give me tips generally on business past papers. It would be amazing if you could help me out with paper 2. I've through the curriculum, made flash cards, mind maps, notes and did exercises. I have tried my best but i believe i can do better.

Thank you for your help. I am so happy i found this site.
Advertisement
Azland
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If he is an idiot who marked your mock paper, for all you know you could actually be an A student or an E. Just a thought :P

For what its worth though business igcse is the most mickey mouse subject you can ever find. I did all my IGCSE's without ever looking at a single past paper or revising and it was the only subject which I got an A in. You do too much work for a subject which doesn't need any.
YaaahSarah
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Azland)
If he is an idiot who marked your mock paper, for all you know you could actually be an A student or an E. Just a thought :P

For what its worth though business igcse is the most mickey mouse subject you can ever find. I did all my IGCSE's without ever looking at a single past paper or revising and it was the only subject which I got an A in. You do too much work for a subject which doesn't need any.
Really? So you're saying i shouldn't worry? How much subjects did you take for IGCSE?
Advertisement
Azland
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by YaaahSarah)
Really? So you're saying i shouldn't worry? How much subjects did you take for IGCSE?
8, If I remember correctly. Was quite a whole back though. Got A/B's in almost all without ever looking at a past paper and all the past paper analysis that people usually do before exams. Anyway If I was as dedicated as you, I'm pretty sure all would have been A*'s. Though in my time, I do remember that business was the easiest subject of them all which I literally walked into the exam hall and wrote without thinking twice or any revision.

Save all your flash cards, mind maps etc for when you reach A Levels. You wil need it then as its quite a big jump. Business in particular at A Level is far more complex and needs a different way of thinking.

Also my personal advice, leave Cambridge IGCSE and go back to a UK exam board for A Levels. Cambridge A Levels are literally sent from hell and are harder then normal A Levels.

And yeah, dont worry about business. Almost impossible to get below an A. The only question is if you'll get A or A*.
KoushikKrishnan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
hey guys ( genius )
how to get prepared for business p2?
i have no idea as to how to answer the 12 mark question!!
plz reply asap!!!!!
Advertisement
Ahkie
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hello, Koushik Krishnan

I, myself was looking for some advice on techniques for answering paper 2.
I'm not certain if this would solve your problem, but here is some things you can try out.

1) Study the mark scheme very carefully. There will be rankings such as level 1, 2 and 3?. Level 1 is given if your answers are very general (something that even those not taking business can figure out) Level 2 is when you further explain your answer with something in depth, such as calculations and reasoning. If you can get 4 x level 2 = 8 and a few more level 1s, the maximum you could get is 10! The rest comes from application. The maximum I've scored is 11/12.

2) Always refer to the case study, if it is about car sales, be sure to relate to things concerning with cars.

3) You can structure your answers in such ways: > Talk about the advantages of: (whatever is given)
> Talk about the disadvantages of (whatever is given)
> Make calculations if you have to
> Give a strong conclusion and REASON for choosing what ever you chose
(Such as why you choose one over the other)
That's pretty much about it. Make sure to do your past years! (VERY IMPORTANT)
*Take time to practice on all paper 2s if that is your weakness.

I wish you all the best
A.T.
AccountingTutor
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Accounting / Management Studies / Finance / Banking Tutor with an Exceptional Ability to Transfer Knowledge

I tutor undergraduate Accounting students, specializing in Financial Accounting 1 and 2, and Intermediate Accounting 1 and 2. On a case-by-case basis, I tutor upper-level accounting courses. I also teach in group settings at discounted rates.For one-on-one sessions, I offer completely individualized tutoring - according to to my student's strengths and weaknesses. You'll find that I have a unique ability to assess your knowledge gaps and develop ways to close those gaps. Reach out for help. '

I often find that students are not afraid to talk to me, but they won’t talk to their instructors for help. But you should! Instructors are there to help not just with topics, but they can help you if you have questions about how to find information you need for the class (where’s it’s located in ANGEL or if you’re seeking additional information on the topic).

“I am willing to teach but you must be willing and ready to learn.” If you reach out to ask for help, it shows me (and other instructors) that you want to learn!
Advertisement
Chan2015
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hello
I'm struggling to study business studies ... My teacher is just boring that I fall asleep in class in stead of listening to her
Please help me
thebusinessman01
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hello. I'm a business teacher with 6 years of experience. Just wanted to share some tips with you guys
1- Solve as many past papers as you can. Helps you get an idea of how the pattern of the paper will be.
2- Look at mark schemes and examiner reports. Many candidates make mistakes in attempting the paper, as they are not clear about what they're supposed to write in order to gain marks. I'll give you a link to one of the examiner reports of year 2015
3- Make Flash cards. They really help with last minute revisions as well.
4- Watch Youtube tutorials. They explain a lot, and in a short time as well.
5- Go through all the key definitions, advantages and disadvantages as a last minute exercise.
6- DO NOT take stress. It kills you. Even if you're an A grade student, you can fall down to a C grade if you take stress, so complete the paper with a calm mind and read the text as if you're the examiner. Ask questions to yourself like what is the background of this question? And most importantly, keep your answer to the point.
Wish you all the best of luck, hope this helps
Advertisement
Lauren100701
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Our business teacher is exactly the same going to have to be self taught also
ping me
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
how do you make flashcards...Can u give an example
Advertisement
Anika678
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ping me)
how do you make flashcards...Can u give an example
Hey, flashcards are basically writing shorter, easier-to-understand notes on a piece of small card/paper. I usually do it myself as it helps me understand the topic better.
sahil200
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
just do many past papers and learn how to answer with application marks
Advertisement
G Cavailhes
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I got an A* in my business GCSE and my advice is to go see the director of the school and talk to him about this teacher But good luck in your GCSEs
thatweirdemogirl
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Well I am glad i found this site. We have a very good business teacher, however i am not an A grade student in business because it's hard for me to remember a lot of things. I will do my best to help you by telling you what examiners look for an answer.

As you probably know there are 2, 4, and 6 mark questions for 'case studies'. And there are 4 main points to prove that you know what the question is talking about, but depending on the marks that the question gives, you have to answer one way or another.

With 2 mark quiestions normally what the examiner is looking for is knowledge. Basically all you have to do is put the definition of whatever it is they are asking.

With 4 mark questions is for you to applay knowledge and application. Knowledge as i said before is the definition of a term. What i mean by application is that you have to refer back to the company. Lets say the question is about internal recruitment in a business called JR, your answer would be "Internal Recruitment is when a business hires a worker from inside the company. JR might use internal recruitment from one of their hardest working workers or one that has more experience in the company"

With 6 mark questions you are applying Knowledge, Application, Analisys and Evaluation. Analisys is the advantages and disadvatages of a business making a decison, so in adding to my previous example, the answer would contain "This might be good for JR beause because they already trust the worker and they would have an expectation of how the worker will do in the new job. Also the business would be saving money in a trainer for a new worker and the rest of the workers will be more confortable talking to a person they already know. However, the rest of stuff might be jealous or demotivated" Id say to put more disadvantages if you dont agree with the decision that the business is making.That way its easier for you to explain your evaluation wich is your personal response or an explanation of why they should make or not a decision. The end of the answer would be "i think JR should use internal recruitment because...."

I hope i helped and im happy to discuss any further questions.

Good Luck!
Fahmid8
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
i also have this teacher that is also very unhelpful , i receive good marks in all my other subjects but never got a better grade than B , this is purely due to her bias as she favors students that go and attend her coaching centers , so really don't stress about it study the mark scheme , try to relate to the case and as you are hardworking it all should pay off . Good Luck and all the best .
Aarushi Verma
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Can you please share the 2019 candidate responses as well. Both paper 1 and 2.
Last edited by Aarushi Verma; 2 months ago
Advertisement
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (75)
14.94%
1 (69)
13.75%
2 (65)
12.95%
20.52%
20.32%
5 (88)
17.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise