The Student Room Group

Cardiff Met. or Surrey??? I can't decide! (Dietetics)

Hey :smile:

So I've applied to do dietetics but now I'm stuck between Surrey and Cardiff Met. as my first choice!
I know Surrey has great employment records and the campus is nice (and it's a reasonably good distance from home for me as I live near London) but Cardiff has slightly easier entry requirements which I'm more likely to get, it's by the sea (!!) and it has kitchens for the course which Surrey doesn't (the only uni I've found without the kitchens for dietetics) and that was a part of the course I was looking forward to...

It would be so great if anyone from either uni (studying whatever) could let me know of the pros and cons of them! :biggrin: Or if anyone else applying for dietetics has any opinions on them!

Thank you!
Reply 1
Hi

I am also chosing between Surrey and Cardiff met. I am doing an access course and my offer for Surrey is 60 credits at distinction.

Cardiff was my last chaice when I applied but I really liked it when I went there. Loved the city and the uni. I've had a difficult time deciding. I'm not so bothered about kitchens as I already cook.

At the moment what I've decided to do is go to Surrey if I get the grades and reserve Cardiff. I think Surrey has a more in depth course content scientifically, and it's nearer home for me too as I'm in south London.
Reply 2
Yeah Cardiff does seem like a lovely place (:
I was planning on putting it as my insurance too, at first, but in a presentation I went to before my interview there, they said that because of the tight numbers due to the NHS funding, there was a very slim chance you'd get a place if you put them down as reserve.... I think they actually continued to say that they advise you not to put them down as a reserve at all as it would be a waste of a choice. So in my mind, Cardiff is either my first choice or no choice :s-smilie:
Reply 3
Yes, they said that at our presentation.

I'm not sure they can actually do that though- effectively withdraw an offer from you because you put them res and not 1st choice. An offer is an offer.

I'm going to look a little more into the rules on this one. Well I'm waiting on King's College reply, although I don't think I'll get in. When I know for sure, which should be any day, I'll decide then. I may well just risk it putting Cardiff as reserve. I really want Surrey or King's for the course content.
Reply 4
I think perhaps Cardiff say this because they are sick of being put as insurance by people! They are in the 3rd best in the south probably after King's and Surrey - who both have higher grade requirements. Therefore, what many applicants do who get offers do is to chose between King's and Surrey as 1st, and then put Cardiff as insurance; as the grade requirements are not quite as high but it's still a good uni, better than Herts or London Met.

Just a theory...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Hey,
So exciting seeing what offers people have for Dietetics with soooo much competition! I could only apply in London because of family stuff and have an offer for London Met but am waiting on King's. I've heard Cardiff is great - a friend of mine did another course there and loved it. How did you think your KCL interview went freebee? Was it the most recent one or have you been waiting for ages? Really felt tested by the interviewers who seemed to push my answers to the limit. Also said some pretty stupid things and left some essentials out - have been kicking myself. Don't really have anything else to go on as the London Met interview was completely different and I didn't apply to Surry or Notts, which I think are the other two really sciencey interviews.
Good luck to you two wherever you choose to go :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Beebe
Hey,
So exciting seeing what offers people have for Dietetics with soooo much competition! I could only apply in London because of family stuff and have an offer for London Met but am waiting on King's. I've heard Cardiff is great - a friend of mine did another course there and loved it. How did you think your KCL interview went freebee? Was it the most recent one or have you been waiting for ages? Really felt tested by the interviewers who seemed to push my answers to the limit. Also said some pretty stupid things and left some essentials out - have been kicking myself. Don't really have anything else to go on as the London Met interview was completely different and I didn't apply to Surry or Notts, which I think are the other two really sciencey interviews.
Good luck to you two wherever you choose to go :smile:

Hi Beebe

I haven't heared from King's yet.... I wish they'd put me out of my misery.
I don't think my interview went great. I struggled a bit with the case study and they asked me another question I couldn't answer. Some other stuff I think I answered quite well though. I'm not expecting to get in.

I was on Jan 19th so I have been waiting ages. Have you heared yet?
Reply 7
Original post by freebee
Hi Beebe

I haven't heared from King's yet.... I wish they'd put me out of my misery.
I don't think my interview went great. I struggled a bit with the case study and they asked me another question I couldn't answer. Some other stuff I think I answered quite well though. I'm not expecting to get in.

I was on Jan 19th so I have been waiting ages. Have you heared yet?

Wow, that's a really long time - I really feel for you. No, nothing yet. It would be nice to hear before Easter, but I'm not going to get my hopes up. I think the case study question was ok for me, but the nutrient one left me a bit stuck. I felt incredibly stupid at some points. Just want to know so I can plan my future a bit! Good luck - I hope it's not too much longer for you!
Reply 8
Original post by Beebe
Wow, that's a really long time - I really feel for you. No, nothing yet. It would be nice to hear before Easter, but I'm not going to get my hopes up. I think the case study question was ok for me, but the nutrient one left me a bit stuck. I felt incredibly stupid at some points. Just want to know so I can plan my future a bit! Good luck - I hope it's not too much longer for you!

Well I know another girl who went on the 14th March, and they told her two weeks. But another girl on here in the KCL dietetics thread said 3 weeks from then. Today it is 3 weeks since they went on that interview so I think if I haven't heard by friday I will chase it up. Take it you haven't heard yet either?

Like you I want to know, because if I'm u/s I will firm Surrey, which means I've got my work cut out to get 60 credits at distinction on my access course. I can do it I think.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending