Turn on thread page Beta

eye make up...again... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    hey, has anyone got any suggestions as to where i'm going wrong, or as to how eye make up should be done:

i line the bottom of my eye with a soft kohl pencil and then put some brown eyeshadow over the top to try and make it stay, but it smudges throughout the day so i look like a panda. some days i try with liquid eyeliner on the top, i don't want a thick line or anything, but it just looks dogey lol, other days i actually line the bit of my eye that touches the eye (in desperation). i know i should wear mascara, but i hate it cuz it gets on my glasses and i can never get it to make enough of a difference for it to be worth the effort. i just tried lining the top with the pencil i use on the bottom, is that a bad idea? although it will probably smudge.

thanks for any help if anyone could be bothered reading that, cheers x

ReputationRep:
    It probably depends what eyeliner you are using... some will smudge more for me than others. Some brands will smudge less than others and I also find that some colours seem to smudge more than others too.. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    mm.. depends on a lot of things.. like the weather. today, it has been dry, bright, cold and relatively windy and my eyeliner hasn't smudged at all...
    oh hot or rainy days, it is guarenteed that i will look like a panda at the end of the day.

mm as for me, i use the soft kohl stuff too... i put it on the part that touches the eye. i find that if you get any moisture off that part by just running your finger across, your eyeliner will stay on much longer. i also tend to put it at the tom and the bottom..

never tried it under my eyelashes though.. so eugh.. and i agree with the statement about mascara - more trouble than it is worth.

ReputationRep:
    wahey someone agrees about mascara! i thought everyone who wears make up wears it!

ReputationRep:
    Try dipping your kohl pencil in hot water and then putting it on; kina melting it and then it sets on your skin. Also what brand of pencil do you use?? Some are way better than others.

ReputationRep:
    you can get eyeliner tattooed onto your skin, so it won't smudge or go dogey,
    it lasts about a month i think!!

i saw it on telly and it looked really good, thats proberly how all the celebs have perfect makeup!!

my eyeliner pencil tip is if i won't write on your skin when you draw a line on your hand, it will be really light and wear off

whereas if you can draw a line with the pencil and it goes straight on your hand, then it will stay on but you have to touch it up every so often, as its not perminant so it needs altering as it may slip if as your eyes are moist,

i usaully touch mine up about every 3 hours, alway wipe away and stray liner, then it will be okies

i personally can't use any makeup, without, mascara it is my saviour i have to have it my eyes have to be big and bold and bright and stand out!!

ReputationRep:
    if you want your eye make-up to stay in place it's really worthwhile investing in Benefit's She Laq. It's a little bottle with clear liquid inside, a bit like nail polish, and you brush it over your eyeshadow/liner/whatever - it sets and voila like magic no more smudges, no more panda eyes. It's a life saver on a night out in a hot sweaty club - no need to for touch ups - it's incredible. I think it's around £18. :flutter: lol thought it was appropriate!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viciouscircle)
    if you want your eye make-up to stay in place it's really worthwhile investing in Benefit's She Laq. It's a little bottle with clear liquid inside, a bit like nail polish, and you brush it over your eyeshadow/liner/whatever - it sets and voila like magic no more smudges, no more panda eyes. It's a life saver on a night out in a hot sweaty club - no need to for touch ups - it's incredible. I think it's around £18. :flutter: lol thought it was appropriate!
    That sounds really good Thanks, I have a similar problem, I use maybeline Kohl eye pencil and its brill but rubs off quite easy

ReputationRep:
    If you don't want the eyeliner to smudge, then don't buy i kohl eye pencil. The whole purpose of a kohl eyeliner is to create a sexy smudged smokey look, and if you cant use a mascara, curling your eyelashes makes it easier to apply. The best mascara i have ever had is maybelline volume mascara in waterproof. I wear heavy make up with liquid liner, a kohl liner, and i don't often have a problem with it smudging if it is applied correctly.

ReputationRep:
    Max factor's kohl pencil is pretty damn brilliant.

ReputationRep:
    I just use rimmel kohl pencil, its easy to apply and it lasts quite well, I put it on my upper and lower lash line and also on my waterline (naughty i know). What brand are you using at the moment? And do your eyes water a lot? That usually doesnt help things

ReputationRep:
    mines rimmel. its still there at the end of the day it's just there's also some underneath and it looks baaaaaaaad. yeah my eyes sometimes water but not much recently, so...

thanks people

ReputationRep:
    you can get lots of different types of eyeliner pencils if the one you are using is smudging no matter what you do then its clearly the pencil. go out and experiment with different ones although remember if you run it across the back of your hand and there isnt much colour then its gonna be virtually impossible to put it on your eye.
    with mascara i dont like wearing it either, you can get your eyelashes tinted if they are light. or you can curl them, you can now buy heated curling ones that are like curlers for your hair but mini, dont know if they work though.
    have you tried clear mascara, it is soo much better than normal mascara and it doesnt go all lumpy or smudge i love it!!

ReputationRep:
    mascara does help make your eyes look better, you said you don't like wearing it because it gets on your glasses you should perhaps wait longer for it to dry before putting them back on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -x-buttercup-x-)
    I just use rimmel kohl pencil, its easy to apply and it lasts quite well, I put it on my upper and lower lash line and also on my waterline (naughty i know). What brand are you using at the moment? And do your eyes water a lot? That usually doesnt help things
    Why is it bad to put it on the waterline?? oops I always do that...

ReputationRep:
    i use rimmel eyeliner on my bottom eyelid,the bit that touches your eye,are you suppossed to put it on there or not?(i dont have much experience with make up,lol)

ReputationRep:
    I always used to put kohl liner on my waterline, then my friend told me that I should never do it, but she never told me why. But putting it on under the lash line just doesn't have the same effect (although it does stay put for much longer).
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I always think eyeliner on the bottom looks too much (on me anyway)...

ReputationRep:
    Once again I advocate the use of black eyeshadow and a brush. It's the only thing that I have used (which is a lot) that doesn't end up down my face. And if you slightly wet the tip of the brush it lasts longer (although for me it lasts all day anyway) and looks slightly more dramatic.

I don't wear mascara either. It's rubbish!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not an expert of eye-make up, but I'm sure the colour is depending on the owner...and I like better to have my own style...

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.