Turn on thread page Beta

Is the recommendation of 8 glasses of water a day just a myth? watch

Announcements
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Water is really good for you not only for your skin but also especially in the summer it replaces all the fluids lost during sweating, also good for easing coughs and dry throats. Fizzy drinks in the summer make you more thirsty.

ReputationRep:
    I agree - I've upped my intake recently because of the weather and have really noticed the difference; my skin is better, I can concentrate better when revising, I don't feel so knackered in the mornings and thats only with 3-4 large 330ml-ish glasses a day (I think the recommended amount is 1.5 - 2litres)

ReputationRep:
    I have a real problem with drinking enough water. I always forget and only drink about 2 a day! Definately makes you feel tired! Gonna try harder now though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    Its good for your kidneys and generally lets your body perform its functions correctly. I aim for about 3-4 ltrs a day usually.
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    I drink around three 1.5 ltr bottles a day, but then again, I live in nearer the equator then you lot..

ReputationRep:
    If you're drinking lots but peeing clear, then you can put some citric fruit slices in it, or mix it with a little squash. Alternatively, if you desperately need the water to prevent fainting from dehydration, just pour a teaspoon of salt in for every 500ml and shake before drinking.

Osmosis, kids. Do read up.

ReputationRep:
    ^ Well, recently i've found myself drinking a 1.5/2.0L bottle of water a day. Before, i'd never drink water. I found that tesco's "still spring water with a hint of lemon & lime" seems to suffice!

regards
    --marty

ReputationRep:
    For most healthy people there is no need to drink more often than when you are thirsty. If you get dehydrated you will normally feel thirsty anyway. Having said this, it is generally a good idea to have water available so that you actually do drink when you feel thirsty. This is especially true during hot summer days when you can easily get dehydrated if you forget to bring something to drink.

Other than that the body is actually rather good at controlling the amount of water it contains. Drinking more water than you need doesn't really do anything as the body will just reject excess water through the kidneys (unless you are talking vast quantities, which could actually be harmful, but there is no risk that you will do so unless you force yourself to drink when you are not thirsty. )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ron Stoppable)
    If you're drinking lots but peeing clear, then you can put some citric fruit slices in it, or mix it with a little squash
    :confused: What difference does that make...?

ReputationRep:
    ^ Read the line that's below the bit you've selectively quoted.

ReputationRep:
    I drink about 3.5L a day, force of habit not consciously, I love water! My skin is clear though apart from PMT induced falre-ups, I have a lot of energy and seem healthy. I think it helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JadedHippy)
    Is the recommendation of 8 glasses of water a day to stop you becoming dehydrated just a myth?

I keep hearing people recommend this, but I was under the impression that this was a strange myth with no scientific backing. I was just wondering if anyone could clear this up for me, as I have never even tried to come close to 8 glasses a day.

These link generally sum up my previous view:

http://dms.dartmouth.edu/news/2002_h...02_water.shtml
    http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp

However, even if 8 glasses are not needed to stop dehydration, do they have other health benefits?

Thanks for all your replies in advance!

*Jaded
    Its all a big conspiracy invented by the capitalist oppresors the water companies to keep us in our place.
    You prove them wrong, cut down on your water. Trust me, when u die, boy will their faces be red ( )

All power to the proletariat!

ReputationRep:
    ^ Unless you sing or exercise lots - in which case you'll obviously need more!

ReputationRep:
    i know, lets do an experiment! don't drink any water for a month and if you're not in hospital i'll give you a cookie

ReputationRep:
    I know that when I don't drink 8 glasses a day my skin gets all blotchy and wierd, my mood is down, I get headaches and my ED is more likely to flare up. But I also know that the actual amount is personal and you just have to be sensitive to your body's needs. If you feel fine with 5 glasses a day then go with that. You should always be wary of advice that tells you what the "average person" should be doing. The average person does not exist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ron Stoppable)
    ^ Read the line that's below the bit you've selectively quoted.
    I did, sorry, just didn't quite understand what benefit there is... :confused: :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I drink lots of water coz otherwise my skin goes dry and I get headaches. I think 8 glasses (or 1.5-2 litres) is a good amount. Plus, I work for Evian at the mo so they are always shoving it down our throats!

ReputationRep:
    what’s the harm even if you drink not 8 but 16 glasses of water a day, it will only help your kidneys to filter impure blood out of the system ,

ReputationRep:
    but usnt too much water harmful lol?

ReputationRep:
    well whatever it is be it a myth or not i dont pay attention
    i only have less than 2 glasses a day and i ONLY drink water nothing else atall

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 23, 2006
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.