Turn on thread page Beta

Is the recommendation of 8 glasses of water a day just a myth? watch

ReputationRep:
    less than 2 glasses?! Even when you exercise?!

I've probably had about a 1-1.5 litres today and I still feel dehydrated, need to go get a glass in a sec. I couldn't cope on so little water, I get really headachey and horrible.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    http://nutrition.about.com/library/b...calculator.htm

ReputationRep:
    74 ounces of water today, or 2.2 liters.
    If you eat a healthy diet, about 20 percent of your water need may come from the foods you eat. If you eat a healthy diet you can drink 59.2 ounces of water today, or 1.8 liters.

So that comes out about right at 8 glasses, a bit more maybe.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sticking with the food stanards agency's idea:

In climates such as the UK, we should drink approximately 1.2 litres (6 to 8 glasses) of fluid every day to stop us getting dehydrated. In hotter climates the body needs more than this. We also get some fluid from the food we eat.

I try and fill a 2 litre bottle in the morning and drink it throughout the day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladydeborah)
    thats pretty good too, water makes you a calmer person !!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squirly)
    less than 2 glasses?! Even when you exercise?!

I've probably had about a 1-1.5 litres today and I still feel dehydrated, need to go get a glass in a sec. I couldn't cope on so little water, I get really headachey and horrible.
    yep even when i excercise
    i can drink large amounts so i hardly drink ive done it all my life
    but apparently i have to start drinking more or ill get kidney faliure
    but i hardly ever need to drink

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn't wait until you need to drink, you should drink before you need to.

ReputationRep:
    thats just it though i cant even drink one whole glass in one go but im used to it so it dosnt bother me

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn't wait until you need to drink, you should drink before you need to.
    I know plenty of people who apply that philosophy. Their dogma is something along the lines of "why get sloshed there when you can get mashed before leaving home?"

ReputationRep:
    ahh.. see I was talking about water :p:

ReputationRep:
    ahh.. see I was talking about water :p:
    yes you are talking about water,
    i can see that, so then also try aromatic water flavours, mineral water drink
    and some great bottled water from the canadian water streams and french alps.!!!

http://www.evian.com/

ReputationRep:
    ^ What's yitEvian backwards...

ReputationRep:
    It really makes no difference at all. I drink when I'm thirsty, I have no idea what that works out to, but I'm just fine. Quite simply, if you are thirsty, have a drink (non-alcoholic, without caffeine ). Sure, if it is really hot or if you are going to do some heavy training then you may want to bring a water bottle to make sure you actually have something to drink, but to be completely honest there is little need to plan the amount of water you are going to aim for during a day. If you don't drink enough, you will get thirsty, and if you drink too much all that happens is that you need to go to the bathroom all the time. The body is very good at regulating the water-salt balance and will do so in the obvious manner if you drink too much.

Now, what you should watch out for is if you drink vast quantities of tap-water and nothing else. Tho the body is quite capable of maintain its nutritional balance, it does lose salt and acid when you urinate. Thus if you keep drinking vast quantities of water without replacing the salt, it could very well cause you trouble. Botled water is usually spiked with various salts to avoid this problem, but tapwater is not. Its not unheard of that people who freak out about getting enough water per day end up hospitalised due to water poisoning. Also, the kidneys do flush out various poisons, but they also flush out excess water, wether poisonous or not. Drinking far more water than you need does stress your kidneys, and could become a problem in the long run ( tho you would probably have to drink uncomfortably large amounts of water for this to be a concern).

All in all, you need to replace the water you lose, but there really isn't any need to "cleanse" the body with excess water. Unless you are doing something that really drains you of water ( outdoors sport when its really hot ) most people will spontaneously drink enough to replace the water they lose simply because they get thirsty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladydeborah)
    I'm sticking with the food stanards agency's idea:

In climates such as the UK, we should drink approximately 1.2 litres (6 to 8 glasses) of fluid every day to stop us getting dehydrated. In hotter climates the body needs more than this. We also get some fluid from the food we eat.

Just don't force it all down at once.

(Original post by Wikipedia)
    A person with two healthy kidneys can rid themselves of about 1.5 litres of water per hour at maximum filtration (other studies find the limit to be as little as 0.9L/hr [1]) . Consuming as little as 1.8 liters of water in a single sitting may prove fatal for a person adhering to a low-sodium diet, or 3 liters for a person on a normal diet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aurion)
    yep even when i excercise
    i can drink large amounts so i hardly drink ive done it all my life
    but apparently i have to start drinking more or ill get kidney faliure
    but i hardly ever need to drink
    I was told that as well - I used to drink hardly anything (I could go almost 2 days before realising I'd not had a drink). I found that filling 500ml bottles and adding squash really helped, because I've never been able to drink water on its own and having a smaller bottle makes it easier to just sip at it throughout the day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JadedHippy)
    Is the recommendation of 8 glasses of water a day to stop you becoming dehydrated just a myth?

I keep hearing people recommend this, but I was under the impression that this was a strange myth with no scientific backing. I was just wondering if anyone could clear this up for me, as I have never even tried to come close to 8 glasses a day.

These link generally sum up my previous view:

http://dms.dartmouth.edu/news/2002_h...02_water.shtml
    http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp

However, even if 8 glasses are not needed to stop dehydration, do they have other health benefits?

Thanks for all your replies in advance!

*Jaded
    Your body is made up mainly of water, so it is common sense to keep it topped up.

It cleans your system and improves your skin condition.

Just drink the damn water! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JadedHippy)
    Is the recommendation of 8 glasses of water a day to stop you becoming dehydrated just a myth?

I keep hearing people recommend this, but I was under the impression that this was a strange myth with no scientific backing. I was just wondering if anyone could clear this up for me, as I have never even tried to come close to 8 glasses a day.

These link generally sum up my previous view:

http://dms.dartmouth.edu/news/2002_h...02_water.shtml
    http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp

However, even if 8 glasses are not needed to stop dehydration, do they have other health benefits?

Thanks for all your replies in advance!

*Jaded
    Your body is made up mainly of water, so it is common sense to keep it topped up.

It cleans your system and improves your skin condition.

Just drink the damn water! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonatan)
    A person with two healthy kidneys can rid themselves of about 1.5 litres of water per hour at maximum filtration (other studies find the limit to be as little as 0.9L/hr [1]) . Consuming as little as 1.8 liters of water in a single sitting may prove fatal for a person adhering to a low-sodium diet, or 3 liters for a person on a normal diet.
    I hadn't realised the limit was that low!:eek:

ReputationRep:
    how big does the glass have to be???

ReputationRep:
    Well if the average recommended amount is 2litres or 8 glasses then I would guess 250ml :p:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 23, 2006
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.