Is the recommendation of 8 glasses of water a day just a myth? Watch

sig.fig.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Eight glasses a day is hardly a chore. I can quite easily drink four litres in a day. If you carry a big bottle of water around with you, even if you are at home, you'll find that you just get through it without even thinking about it.
Dutchess of Doncaster
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
"A person with two healthy kidneys can rid themselves of about 1.5 litres of water per hour at maximum filtration (other studies find the limit to be as little as 0.9L/hr [1]) . Consuming as little as 1.8 liters of water in a single sitting may prove fatal for a person adhering to a low-sodium diet, or 3 liters for a person on a normal diet."

Now THAT just scared the crap out of me...I think I drink too much water
la fille danse
  • CV Helper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Robin*Hood)
"A person with two healthy kidneys can rid themselves of about 1.5 litres of water per hour at maximum filtration (other studies find the limit to be as little as 0.9L/hr [1]) . Consuming as little as 1.8 liters of water in a single sitting may prove fatal for a person adhering to a low-sodium diet, or 3 liters for a person on a normal diet."

Now THAT just scared the crap out of me...I think I drink too much water
Why? I doubt you drink 12 glasses in one sitting...
Dutchess of Doncaster
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by more adventurous)
Why? I doubt you drink 12 glasses in one sitting...
I have on occasion consumed 2 litres of water within minutes
MayaIllusion
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
drinking loads of water def helps ur skin! My skin is really clear now!
looking_fr_SomeOne
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
what about fruits which have high water content !!
friendsfreak88
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yeah fruit and veggies with water in them count towards your daily amount which people usually forget. I think the recommendation on 2 litres per day allows for the fact that some food and drinks have water in. Obviously people eat different amounts of these foods and do different amounts of activity and are different sizes so we all need different amounts anyway.

I think it is best to generally go by thirst. It is best not to let yourself get too thristy as this means that you are already dehydrated but make sure you drink if you feel a bit thirsty.

Also it is best to spread water intake over the day rather than drinking lots in one go because this puts less strain on the body and means that the fluid is absorbed better.
Jitsu
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
im scared of drinking too much water, there was a kid who died because they drank too much water. drinking 8 litres of water a day isnt harmful i it?
Nutter
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by sweetie999)
im scared of drinking too much water, there was a kid who died because they drank too much water. drinking 8 litres of water a day isnt harmful i it?
There ARE medical conditions that can surface if you drink too much water, but why the heck would someone want to drink 8 litres of water a day? Do you really want to be peeing that much?!

And for goodness sake, don't be SCARED of drinking water - you'll know when you've had enough! There's no need to force it.
looking_fr_SomeOne
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
eat lots of cucumber!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (281)
27.6%
No (737)
72.4%

Watched Threads