The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Gnostic
Soho

lol :biggrin:
sisyphus
Where's the best place to study feminism? I've heard very good things about the Gender Institute at LSE. Can anyone tell me any more about feminism at the LSE?

Best place to study feminism is:the divorce courts, or the back seat of a car when you're cheating on your husband..
Reply 3
sisyphus
Where's the best place to study feminism? I've heard very good things about the Gender Institute at LSE. Can anyone tell me any more about feminism at the LSE?

I know that you can't do it at undergrad level, that would defo swing me to the LSE Hist course if i knew I could do outside options there.
Reply 4
claire1985
I know that you can't do it at undergrad level, that would defo swing me to the LSE Hist course if i knew I could do outside options there.

Does history not let you do outside options?!
Reply 5
Gnostic
Yes, it doesn't appear that there are any outside options to study feminism -

http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/government/degreeProgrammes/programmes/OutsideOptions_BSc.htm

Damn! I was just itching to study it! :smile:

But Soho is nearby...

Haha, you are so funny... It is a graduate school, so no u/g's can take options there
Reply 6
Mysticmin
Does history not let you do outside options?!

Yeah, it does-just not with the Women's Studies dept, i plan to do one in languages and one in I.T that is impossible to fail, when I go there if i go there :-)
Reply 7
sisyphus

Well if you are serious about studying feminism, im afraid you need to go to america. Both Harvard and Stanford offer feminist studies. e.g.

FEMST 103/203. Feminist Theories and Methods Across the Disciplines‹The interdisciplinary foundations of feminist thought, and the nature of disciplines and of interdisciplinary work. The effects of feminism on scholarship and research, taught by a Feminist Studies resource faculty member from the discipline in question.
4-5 units, Aut (Eckert)

FEMST 104. Practicum/Senior Seminar‹For Feminist Studies majors only. Students present oral reports on the relation of the practicum to their academic work, submit a draft and revised written analysis of the practicum, and discuss applications of feminist scholarship.
2-4 units, Aut (Harrison)

*FEMST 140A. Sex and the City: Art, Gender, and the Sexual Politics of Urban Space‹Sexuality and urban life through the lens of late 20th-century visual art and cultural production. The modern city as a haven for deviant sexualities and gender practices, and the site of normalizing and restrictive structures. Topics: democracy, community, and the public sphere; gendered division of private and public spaces; the flaneur and the prostitute; public sexual life for gay people. Emphasis is on politically oriented art works situated in public urban spaces from the late 60s to the present.
4-5 units, Aut (Dawsey)

FEMST 195. Directed Reading

1-15 units, Aut, Win, Spr, Sum (Staff)
Reply 8
Gnostic
Who on earth would pay £1000sss to study feminine conspiracy theories at grad level?

Because to further equality, women's history has to be given the same recognition as 'popular' male history, so by studying it alone you catch up the gap and get to a point where they can be studied together, instead of seperate entities.
Reply 9
claire1985
Because to further equality, women's history has to be given the same recognition as 'popular' male history, so by studying it alone you catch up the gap and get to a point where they can be studied together, instead of seperate entities.

not in america :wink:
Reply 10
Gnostic
Who on earth would pay £1000sss to study feminine conspiracy theories at grad level?
What on earth are you talking about?

Since when has feminism alleged any sort of "conspiracy"?
Reply 11
TheWolf
not in america :wink:

Indeed, but the gap of knowledge has to be caught up first
Reply 12
Gnostic
If Durham dont offer you a place, look on the bright side - Hewins will be there to show you the ropes - maybe you'll fall in love with him? I have every confidence that a date with him would eradicate that feminism of yours :smile:

Haha, yeah right... I bet he is a right loser with no friends, I'd rather eat my own faeces than go anywhere near him. Besides, i already have a boyfriend who is very understanding and supportive of all my political views, and shares most of them. I think i'll be sticking with him and teaching myself the ropes around LSE if I go there.
Reply 13
Gnostic
Feminism postulates that the past several thousand years of civilisation has been nothing but an attempt by men to dominate women. There's a phrase for that - 'FRIGGIN LOONIES'!
Doesn't make it a "conspiracy" though, does it?

That would be if all the men got together at the beginning (or at any point) and made a conscious decision to plan a society like that. And, as far as I know, no feminists allege that.
sisyphus

Two more good places to study feminism: an abortion clinic, or inside Jo Brand's trousers (turn left past the pile of stolen jokes, then go down the corridor and through the door marked 'crap pseudo-marxist ideologies'
Reply 15
Gnostic
According to the Hewins Thesis, feminists love to cheat on their man and do it 'doggy style'.

Haha, well if he's basing that on previous experience I can see why that would be true!
Reply 16
Gnostic
According to the Hewins Thesis, feminists love to cheat on their man and do it 'doggy style'.

hehe - maybe that is just what he likes!?!?!?
sisyphus

Try studying this:

Feminists-a User's Manual Part 1:

a) listen politely when she tells you about her deep principles;

b)listen even more politely when she talks about her loyalty to her (usually wimpy) boyfriend;

c) don't smile too broadly when, three hours later, with her knickers on the floor and her legs in the air, you explode into her face...
Reply 18
W.A.S Hewins
Two more good places to study feminism: an abortion clinic, or inside Jo Brand's trousers (turn left past the pile of stolen jokes, then go down the corridor and through the door marked 'crap pseudo-marxist ideologies'

Are you suggesting that women are not entitled to have an abortion..? Another thing we disagree on, why shouldn't she be allowed to have one? Do you think it is a good thing to bring a child into the world when you don't want one and wouldn't love it properly?
Reply 19
W.A.S Hewins
Try studying this:

Feminists-a User's Manual Part 1:

b)listen even more politely when she talks about her loyalty to her (usually wimpy) boyfriend;

c) don't smile too broadly when, three hours later, with her knickers on the floor and her legs in the air, you explode into her face...

If this part is aimed at me, to b) he most definately isn't a wimp c) dream on...

Latest

Trending

Trending