Lotte495
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
This is for anyone doing the Relationships cluster from Moon On The Tides. Wondering if any one had any thoughts about the poems? Possibly Brothers?
Student96
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hi! I'm doing the relationships cluster too - in class we have started trying to answer exam questions (the comparison one) but I just haven't got much idea what I'm doing

Unfortunately, I don't really have any thoughts about Brothers because I missed that lesson in class and haven't caught up yet. Just fyi though, if it is named in the exam paper it will only be in the foundation tier, meaning you won't necessarily have to use it at all in your exam if you do higher tier and don't want to write about that poem

You might find this helpful for 'Brothers' though http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebit...hersrev1.shtml

I'm doing an exam question comparing Nettles and Harmonium - Harmonium is a bit confusing isn't it?
Lotte495
Rep:
?
Sort of yes. It's really about family relationships and death I think...
Epic Flawless
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well, I'm doing Relationships as well. From my opinion, Brothers is about family relationships but unlike Nettles, there is a 'distance' between the siblings that ensures that a similar fatherly bond described in Nettles never occurs so it is never 'closed'.

For example, Forster mentions his younger brother in a separate clause to 'me and Paul' to emphasise how he does not value the younger brother as his companion or friend like Paul. Specifically, the use of 'with' as opposed to 'and' suggests that there is no unity or bond between brothers, almost that the younger brother is an add-on and does not belong with the two friends.
Lotte495
Rep:
?
Awesome thanks (:
skittlesaremydrugs
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
do you guys have any idea which are the main ones which should be studied? Teacher tried to make us learn all 15 first time round but apparently that isnt necessary?? confused to be honest
ArtisticFlair
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yeah, which poems can't come up on higher tier? Although I guess it could be a good poem to compare the named one to...
tanishapatel
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
brothers is about a typical sibling relationship, where the older brother deems his younger brother as a burden.

the older one and his friend believe themselves to be cooler and mature as they go into town, they also do not want to be seen with a little boy who 'windmills' about or dresses in a 'ridiculous tank top'
in the end they abondon the younger brother who was excited about going on a trip with his brother.

the narrator looks back at this memory probably with guilt as he has now been able to distinguish that it was wrong.

just a bit of an overview of brother
angela g
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
does anyone know where i can get the past paper from last year
mevidek
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
We did conflict. I'm re-sitting this year because I got a B last time.
FREYA2898
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
does anyone have any helpful website or notes for the relationship cluster?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (186)
43.66%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (49)
11.5%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (33)
7.75%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (89)
20.89%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (44)
10.33%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (25)
5.87%

Watched Threads