The Student Room Group

Any advantage of private education for S5/6?

Cringe at this now hahahaha
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
I would stay stick at the school your at, there is nothing worse than moving to a new school to start your highers, and have to make new friends, trust me I had to do it, and I found it really difficult as the highers needed a lot of group discussion to work some things out and help each other understand things, teachers only teach so much for highers they expect you and your classmates to go the extra mile, a bit like uni, you have to do more reading around the subject that you are studying you cant rely on the text books.

If you are predicted 8 1s your doing something right so i would suggest you stay where you are, you know their system and it obviously works for you, and at least then your parents dont have to spend the money on a private education for your last 2 years of high school, especially when your going to fork out a heck of a lot of money for uni.
Reply 2
Thanks a lot! I think i'm probably staying now, as i am just picking my options for s5 now. Again thanks a lot!
Reply 3
Original post by SneakyDoug
I am currently a 4th year student studying at a state school in Glasgow. I'm about to sit my standard grades (predicted eight 1's) and was wondering if when i was going to do my highers and advanced highers it would be easier to do them at a private school? I am hoping to go to Oxford once i leave school and was wondering if changing to a private school would be detrimental to my chances of getting in aswell as i hear that they are biased against people who swap from state to private education. If anyone could help me out that would be great. Thanks in advance.

Eight 1's won't mean anything when applying to Oxford, people at my school had eight 1's, fives A's and then advanced highers on top of that, and still didn't get in. Personal statement will be of the upmost importance!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending