The Student Room Group

Healthcare Assistant

Is anyone trying to or currently working as a HA? How different is it to being an actual nurse? How did you apply? Do you work on the bank? Any info would be awesome :smile:
Original post by Jacob :)
Is anyone trying to or currently working as a HA? How different is it to being an actual nurse? How did you apply? Do you work on the bank? Any info would be awesome :smile:

It's very different to being a staff nurse, you will be focused on mainly personal care, like washing and dressing, depending on where you work you may be trained to do some clinical skills like BM taking etc, but no the responsobility is less and your not as accountable as staff nurses, nor have to deal with medication and more complicated clinical skills.
Reply 2
Original post by Jacob :)

Think bed making, washing patients, cleaning commodes, measuring urine, doing observations etc
Original post by digitalis
Think bed making, washing patients, cleaning commodes, measuring urine, doing observations etc

Ah, so basically the things that nurses used to do before degrees came in then.
Original post by restoration
It's very different to being a staff nurse, you will be focused on mainly personal care, like washing and dressing, depending on where you work you may be trained to do some clinical skills like BM taking etc, but no the responsobility is less and your not as accountable as staff nurses, nor have to deal with medication and more complicated clinical skills.

Thanks :smile: that matches what I've seen on my volunteering
Original post by maturestudy

Is there anything wrong with nurses taking on more responsobility?
Original post by maturestudy

I still see Nurses do this where i am, and personally i will be doing all these things when possible when i qualify in 18 months time :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending