Reversing round the corner Watch

Trundle
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Hi,
I have my 2nd test next week, and find reversing round corners sooo difficult. I am alright at the beginning, but I never know when to turn, and particularly how much to turn. I usually end up in the middle of the road rather than on the kurb. I have no confidence in doing this manoeuvre, and don't want it to let me down on my test.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Make minor adjustments all the way round. If you see you're going too far out then correct it straight away.
Sweyn Forkbeard
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It helps to have a reference point. My instructor has a line on one of the rear side windows which, when it reaches the beginning of the curve of the kerb, marks the point at which you should begin your turn.
kookabura
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
In theroy I think the way I do it should work in any car.

The back seat in the car should be approx above the back wheels of the car. So imagine a laser beam projecting out of the back seat and out through the car. You need to imagine where this in when you are reversing round.

Pull up and start reversing back slowly, keep imagining the laser beam, when this reaches the kerb of the corner start turning the wheel, you should keep the laser beam on the kerb all the way round. If it is a sharp corner then you will need to turn the wheel alot quick (and more) to keep these in line than you would with a gradual sweeping corner. Don't know about your car, but in the car I was driving if the kerb disappeared out of the back window then I had oversteered and would end up bumping the kerb (unless you steer the other way quickly.)

Once your car has gone round the corner you need to straighten the wheel up and make sure that the car is fairly close to the kerb. If you are abit wide it doesnt matter at this stage, just try and turn the car into towards the kerb and straighten it up. You may find a reference point that you can reverse it along to make sure that it close to the kerb - I could line a part of the wiperblade up with it. Park close to the kerb and look back and see if there is anything you can pick to line up with the kerb.

Make sure whilst you are doing all of this that you do it slowly, and do observations all the time and stop to let any cars get through that need to.
xavier2k3
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
just use your left mirror to guide you. move it so that you can see the curb; you're allowed to do that on your test. take it slowly and only look back and around because you have to. move as little as you can while you're "checking mirros and blindspots"

regards
--marty
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (208)
18.55%
No (681)
60.75%
Not really bothered about them (232)
20.7%

Watched Threads