Best University freebies? Watch

This discussion is closed.
sidekick
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by zoea85)
Aber gave me a huge Calender and I took about 5 yellow Aber pens that are still working today and Exeter had lots and lots of borbon (spelling?) biscuits on their open day and free cofee/tea ... Open days are fun especially when borbon biscuits are involved!!!
It's true, Aber pens are the best! I got some when I was there with my bro and they've lasted for ages... quality stuffs
michaela_banana
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I got a pen from manchester, so not totally embarassing. At edinburgh we were given the stuff they sell to freshers for £13 free (alt prospectus and expired vouchers etc) but it was in a big cardboard box which was exciting (and heavy...)
Elusive Moose
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Best I've got is the drawstring bag from Birmingham... Tsch...
Kittennffc
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Wait til you get to uni, I always get free stuff from my union! Got a free 3 mobile drawstring bag and this pen which lit up, wow, so easily amused!
LFC_Girl
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by IainM)
My friend has been given £1000 free as a bribe to go to Northumbria!
Northumbria give all thier students money just depends what coruse you are doing. Unfortunately mine will only be £250.

I got a blow up chair for a cup from one uni that was cool!
Malik
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
:eek: None of my unis gave me a single thing, not even a pen. The food was excellent though except imperial, who give out worst lunch ever, but I suppose its better then no lunch(UCL).
e_clark
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i got well nice lunch on visit day from loughborough with loads of strawberries...well they won my heart lol
shyopstv
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Cambridge: Nothing
Imperial: Nothing
Manchester: Free mouse mat and keyring
Warwick: Nothing
Bristol: Nothing
Sheffield: Paid my train fare if that counts...

Of course another thing deciding how great a university is is how much random, unwanted stuff about them they send you. So here we go:

Cambridge: Nothing (well the rejection letter was unwanted I suppose...)
Imperial: Nothing
Manchester: Accommodation booklet, department brochure, cool fold out picture book thingy with pictures of Manchester, finance booklet, info about the IEE scholarship system and some info about bursaries - all this was before I got my offer!
Bristol: Nothing
Warwick: A letter with stuff about what they offer in terms of the interests I spoke about at the interview
Sheffield: Accommodation booklet - not so random seeing as it was after I got the offer

As you can see Manchester and Sheffield are my top 2 choices!
beanie
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Edinburgh- nothing.
Glasgow- welcome pack after I got my offer.
Lancaster- same as Glasgow. Plus tea, biscuits, free bus to the train station and a cool pen at the visit day.
Manchester- nothing.
UCL- sent me loads of pre-interview reading material, then loads of extra information once I got an offer. Nothing at the interview day though, it was hopeless.
Bangor- sent me a gigantic envolope full of little bits after I got an offer and keep sending me letters telling me they'll give me money if I come.

Oxford Brookes sent me loads of letters and free things before we applied, then recently sent me their union magazine as a 'taster' of what I'll get if I go there... even though I didn't apply there and didn't request a prospectus or show any form of desire to go to Oxford Brookes!
gianthead
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
oh yeah, I got loads of spam and junk, scholarship offers etc from all the unis apart from my real choice which had the sense to to only send me vital communications
sidekick
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yup, my bro had about twenty leaflets from Edge Hill, despite the fact that he's never shown any interest in them at all. Spamtastic.
Danny the Geezer
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I got nothing.
Ana
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by sidekick)
Yup, my bro had about twenty leaflets from Edge Hill, despite the fact that he's never shown any interest in them at all. Spamtastic.
I got loads of those last year. They don't even do physics courses, so no idea why they were spamming me! :rofl:
papad
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Sorry to cut in but I couldn't find the appropriate thread. I was wondering how much emphasis unis put on extra cirricular activities when applying?
I do Young Enterpsise, play Cricket, Badminton and Squash and teach myself Hindi in spare time. How will Unis see me?
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by papad)
Sorry to cut in but I couldn't find the appropriate thread. I was wondering how much emphasis unis put on extra cirricular activities when applying?
I do Young Enterpsise, play Cricket, Badminton and Squash and teach myself Hindi in spare time. How will Unis see me?
There's been quite a few threads on this, or you'd be better to start your own. Just click on "new thread" at the top!
bananas1234
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I got an offer from York, for free... Kind of... :confused:
Clarence
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I went to Sheffield and they gave me grapes.
Axiom
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Nothing of any real worth, just a load of documents from unis telling me stuff I already knew.

Hopefully, some of them will have biccies...
Princess_Emma
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
De Montfort University sent me a pen stick, and a fridge magnet guy and clothes to dress him.
Rather random
Sianne
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I got a cool water bottle from Wolverhampton and Birmingham's UCE had some nice sweets on offer in the student support tour.

I think it was Birmingham UCE who also had a really nice buffet spread for lunch when I went for the Sociology open day.

Go UCE!

Birmingham sucked. All they had on the general open day was a bag which I didn't even get. Pssh. *Shakes fist*
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18

Do you like exams?