Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Which one earn more in general? Solicitors or Barristers?

ReputationRep:
    A terrible question that I don't really think deserves an answer. FAR too many variables at stake such as area of law, how hard-working you are, etc. etc. If you were to take the average of every solicitor and compare it with the average of every barrister, then there probably would not be that much difference (solicitors might pip it). Bit of a daft question to ask though.

ReputationRep:
    You can't compare the two branches of the profession en masse. Even if you break it down into particular specialities (commercial/family etc) its an unfair comparison.

If you want an utterly unscientific gut feeling: solicitors earn more on average but the very top tiers of the bar are the highest earners.

ReputationRep:
    Unless you're a partner at Watchell Lipton eh chalks?

ReputationRep:
    Or Jonathan Sumption QC

ReputationRep:
    Granted the partners at WLRK aren't short of a few bob.

Needless to say, they spend the odd hour in the office here and there.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have any idea of the average earnings of solicitors ...?

ReputationRep:
    Well it depends at what scale solicitor. High street or big firm etc.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to know about City firms, go to rollonfriday.com

ReputationRep:
    From what I've heard, ON AVERAGE, solictors earn more, BUT there is higher potential to earn a lot more as a barrister if you are a really fantastic QC or something. But, of course, there will be differences, like which area you work in (Criminal/Human Rights being among the worst paid and Corporate being among the best) and where you work (London/regional), and that sort of thing, so there is no definitive answer. They are both highly varied, and I think barristers more so; being self-employed, you could hardly work at all, or else work non-stop.

A solicitor once told me the average earnings of a barrister are around £17,000, but I don't know how true this is, and it was a couple of years ago. She also warned me about city solicitors' firms where you're earning around £50,000 on qualification (and this isn't the average by the way - more like the absolute top), saying those jobs weren't all they were cracked up to be.

So really, it's a choice about which one you think you'd rather do and are best suited for, I reckon. Hope I've helped a little, and I'm sorry if any of these stats are way off the mark.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your reply and the info milly87

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milly87)
    From what I've heard, ON AVERAGE, solictors earn more, BUT there is higher potential to earn a lot more as a barrister if you are a really fantastic QC or something. But, of course, there will be differences, like which area you work in (Criminal/Human Rights being among the worst paid and Corporate being among the best) and where you work (London/regional), and that sort of thing, so there is no definitive answer. They are both highly varied, and I think barristers more so; being self-employed, you could hardly work at all, or else work non-stop.
    Then is it fair to say that solicitors' income is more secure than barristers' (with the exceptions of top QCs)?

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean by "more secure"? Solicitors jobs are more secure in the sense that we're employed and receive a salary whereas our colleagues at the bar are self-employed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chalks)
    What do you mean by "more secure"? Solicitors jobs are more secure in the sense that we're employed and receive a salary whereas our colleagues at the bar are self-employed.
    Do solicitors get commissions?

ReputationRep:
    Commissions for what?

ReputationRep:
    For more clients? Or do they get the same salary regardless of workload?

ReputationRep:
    I can only speak for City firms.

Generally associates are on a fixed salary but may be entitled to a bonus depending on whether you hit your annual billing targets - often around 1700 hours.

Partners remuneration is fixed in different ways. Often its a lockstep formula for the first number of years followed by the chance to become an equity partner and fully share in the profits of the business. Other firms have an "eat what you kill" policy where their partners pay is linked more directly to their own billings.

ReputationRep:
    when i did work experience, i got told that family law was the worst-paid area of law and was wondering whether this is true

ReputationRep:
    is corporate law quite interesting or is it just the money that drives people?

ReputationRep:
    I was always under the impression that, on average (speaking VERY generally) barristers earned more than solicitors. Certainly when I was on my gap year, the professional hourly rates of the barristers we used far exceeded those of the solicitors I worked for.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 16, 2008

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
Poll
Are you chained to your phone?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.