Which one earn more? Solicitors or Barristers? Watch

ElWilson
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
And so the general verdict is - Barristers earn more, but the average Solicitors salary is higher than the average Barristers - it is just that being a Barrister has more promotional and salary potential.
Onearmedbandit
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by ElWilson)
And so the general verdict is - Barristers earn more, but the average Solicitors salary is higher than the average Barristers - it is just that being a Barrister has more promotional and salary potential.
I'd contest that purely on my own experience, but I don't have any figures so I don't really know...
Ethereal
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It all depends on how good you are. A good barrister will earn more than a good solicitor. A crap barrister will earn however much the Department for Work and Pensions decides he or she is able to claim in jobseekers allowance
Phil.Murray
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Ethereal)
It all depends on how good you are. A good barrister will earn more than a good solicitor. A crap barrister will earn however much the Department for Work and Pensions decides he or she is able to claim in jobseekers allowance
LMAO- or go on strike!
Onearmedbandit
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Ethereal)
Well obviously, but as we're talking about the salary of the "average" barrister & solicitor, this point becomes pretty irrelevant
ElWilson
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The average salary - not an average barrister or solicitor.
poltroon
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by ElWilson)
The average salary - not an average barrister or solicitor.
What kind of salary does the average barrister or solicitor earn?
Onearmedbandit
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by pineapple_face)
What kind of salary does the average barrister or solicitor earn?
An average salary... :p:
ElWilson
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Any help : this could be helpfull
fat_boy
Report 10 years ago
in my limited experience barristers doing commercial work earn more than solicitors doing the equivalent work

so for example a new tenant (in barristers' chambers) should expect to earn say £100k, a proportion of which he has to pay to chambers

a newly qualified solicitor in a US firm might be on something similar, without the same deductions

however with each year the commercial barrister's income should shoot up quite quickly whereas the solicitor's income, if it starts at that sort of level, will increase but nothing like as dramatically

if a solicitor becomes an equity partner in a top commercial firm he probably does better than his barrister equivalent but then it is much harder to become an equity partner than it is to progress as barrister

the vast majority of newly qualified solicitors get nowhere near becoming equity partners whereas any barrister in the right chambers has a good expectation to get to half a million a year etc after a few years; an energetic silk would then expect to be making £1m or possibly more

these comments are based on commercial work in London

the main difference in practice is that a barrister is self-employed: so when he is asked to work at the weekend he is earning more money than if he was lying in bed; a solicitor works for others: when he is asked to work at the weekend he just has a rubbish weekend
fat_boy
Report 10 years ago
I have just had a look at the roll on Friday web site and realise that I have probably overstated the earnings for solicitors. Very few newly qualifieds will be on £100k but there may be some.

Also a first year tenant in chambers will have spent just one year doing pupillage, as contrasted with 2 years of a training contract.

The roll on Friday web site does confirm that year to year pay increases for solicitors after qualification are tiny. In contrast a successful barrister can expect to double his or her income 2 or 3 times (depending upon what they start with) within a few years of tenancy.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (75)
29.41%
No - I got the required grades (147)
57.65%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (33)
12.94%

Watched Threads