Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Could any of you tell me if there any way in which I can go to a University or College to study a degree in Business management with only GCSE qualifications?

any help would be greatly appreciated

Carl

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carl 1010101010)
    Hi all,

Could any of you tell me if there any way in which I can go to a University or College to study a degree in Business management with only GCSE qualifications?

any help would be greatly appreciated

Carl

no - and why would you want to do that

ReputationRep:
    Of course you can.. you'd just need to apply as a mature student and attempt to explain why you didn't feel the need to do any A Level's. But to be honest, you'd be looking at Higher Education Colleges rather than Universities.

ReputationRep:
    Only as a mature student and they may even still require A Levels then. You could look into doing it another way like through a college.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    no - and why would you want to do that
    I want to study Business management because it interests me alot, i don't want to spend 2 yrs studying A-levels if there is a course In Business Management which I can apply for with only GCSE'S...

So any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Carl

ReputationRep:
    I want to study Business management because it interests me alot, i don't want to spend 2 yrs studying A-levels if there is a course In Business Management which I can apply for with only GCSE'S...

So any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Carl
    D'you really think anyone would study A Levels if there was a loop hole like this??? And I'm not even sure they'd let a 16 year old go to University- thought you had to be 18?

ReputationRep:
    WOW- I must say, very quick reply's on this forum,
    thanks alot for the advice,
    If I have to study at a college - then I will, But I have looked around for recently and it seems that the only colleges/Uni I could apply for to do the course that I want will be Oxford Brookes and the Univeristy of East London....

so you think that if I were to have an interview at my chosen college?uni they might accept me based on how the interview went and my other skills?...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suz19)
    D'you really think anyone would study A Levels if there was a loop hole like this??? And I'm not even sure they'd let a 16 year old go to University- thought you had to be 18?
    I am 18 years old

ReputationRep:
    WOW- I must say, very quick reply's on this forum,
    thanks alot for the advice,
    If I have to study at a college - then I will, But I have looked around for recently and it seems that the only colleges/Uni I could apply for to do the course that I want will be Oxford Brookes and the Univeristy of East London....

so you think that if I were to have an interview at my chosen college?uni they might accept me based on how the interview went and my other skills?...

a-level is a very important link between gcses and university. unless you are a genius, the university knows that you are unlikely to do well and therefore is more reluctant to give you an offer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suz19)

After I finished my secondary education I decide that further education was not the right choice for me, so i gained experience in the working world, but now I want to go to Uni/collge to gain a Degree...But it seems there is not alot of chice out there for those of us with only standard qualifications.

ReputationRep:
    Gnostic

what is UCL please?

ReputationRep:
    I am 18 years old
    Oh sorry, it sounded as though you were at school and hoping to skip A Levels. Well I think you'd have a pretty hard time justifying to a university why you haven't done A Levels (bearing in mind your only contact with them initially will be through a UCAS form). But there's no harm in giving it a shot I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suz19)
    Oh sorry, it sounded as though you were at school and hoping to skip A Levels. Well I think you'd have a pretty hard time justifying to a university why you haven't done A Levels (bearing in mind your only contact with them initially will be through a UCAS form). But there's no harm in giving it a shot I guess.
    why dont you just email the admissions person - easiest way

ReputationRep:
    Most people recognise Alevels as being an awful lot harder than GCSEs, so you'd have quite a gap in knowledge/ability. And since you're still easily young enough to take alevels, I can't possibly imagine them allowing you straight onto the course.

ReputationRep:
    Time is running out for me as I want to start a course this september,
    I was told the UCAS deadline has already expired, so already I will have to bend the rules.
    Like you say: There is no halm in trying, if I don't get accepted then fiar enough I will have to take my A-levels (grrrh)

Anyways thanks alot for the advice :- anymore owuld be greatly appreciated 8-D

Thanks

Carl

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James_W)
    Of course you can.. you'd just need to apply as a mature student and attempt to explain why you didn't feel the need to do any A Level's. But to be honest, you'd be looking at Higher Education Colleges rather than Universities.
    thats not necesarily true as a mature student you can do an access course and go pretty much anywhere if you do well most unis are really good about taking mature entry students, even Oxford offer foundation courses for mature students

http://www.admissions.ox.ac.uk/mature/enc.shtml

ReputationRep:
    Time is running out for me as I want to start a course this september,
    I was told the UCAS deadline has already expired, so already I will have to bend the rules.
    Like you say: There is no halm in trying, if I don't get accepted then fiar enough I will have to take my A-levels (grrrh)

Anyways thanks alot for the advice :- anymore owuld be greatly appreciated 8-D

Thanks

Carl
    If it ends up that you have to do A Levels you could always do a fast track course in a year or study at home

ReputationRep:
    Please tell me more about a fast track study?

As for the home study- I have repeated GCSE's using the homestudy method, to be honest, it didn;t work at all for me, which was why I decided to give up on studying and op for working.

Thanks alot 8D

ReputationRep:
    Please tell me more about a fast track study?

As for the home study- I have repeated GCSE's using the homestudy method, to be honest, it didn;t work at all for me, which was why I decided to give up on studying and op for working.

Thanks alot 8D
    Well, I don't know about anywhere else in the country but at my local college they have fast track courses for all the main subjects (english lit, maths etc) which take 1 year. Give your local college a ring.

ReputationRep:
    which unis are you thinking of going to? I think the best thing would be to do an access course at your local college you can normally do them one year parttime or 2 yrs full time and then go straight to uni, they will run them at your local college.

You need to look at the unis specific requirements because they vary from uni to uni but here is an example
    http://www.undergraduate.bham.ac.uk/mature.htm

This would only apply though if you are over 21.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.