The Student Room Group

Scared of A levels :(

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Yumnaarrhhh
I actually think out of the a levels I have chosen that English lit. is my easiest subject..(I hope I dont regret saying that :tongue: )

We're doing AQA English lit. B,
so we study 2 novels (I've done The Great Gatsby & Small Island..but there's a whole list of other novels)..we also do 3 poems by John Keates..
The Rime of the Ancient Mariner by Samuel Coleridge..
(All these are for the exam only which is 60%)

For the coursework, you study 2 plays..I dont know if you have a choice but we studied, The Crucible and Othello..= 40%

So, make sure you do well in your coursework!! & also if your college/6th form give you a pre reading list for the summer, make sure you read atleast some of them!! Because in class we still havent finished doing some of the poems..!!
& also in class you might not practice a lot of essays..but at home in your spare time, make sure you practice answering past paper questions because it is quite difficult to analyse certain texts.

ALSO, do not pick it just because you have done well at GCSE, take it because you actually like it..because I know people that have A* at gcse but right now they're getting C/D's and I got an A and a B at GCSE and I'm happy that i'm on the A/B boderline so far :smile:
:smile:

Spoiler

Thanks for the info. It's helped a lot! I only chose English Lit because I want to get into journalism, and quite evidently, it's needed. And about people regretting it, I was also told that when I picked Maths for A-Level:cool:
Thanks a lot:smile:
Original post by estmick
I have heard some horror stories about the subjects I want to choose for A levels...now I am really scared I won't be able to cope.

I chose:
History
Biology
Chemistry
Psychology

My teachers think I will cope all right but I really don't want to fail. I know A-levels are difficult and I am willing to put in a lot of effort.

How difficult are these subjects?
What are your GCSE grades on the subjects? and what are your grades/predicted grades at AS/A2?
I also want to know the workload of each subjects?
I want to hear your personal experiences
Thanks in advance:smile:

It's really not that bad. Everything is pretty much the same I found, just more depth than breadth. Your subjects have a nice balance 50:50 essays:theory. The real step up comes at A2 for biology and chemistry. If you're doing well at GCSE it will just naturally go on for AS so don't worry about it!

Out of your list I only do History so here are my opinions:

workload: mostly learning information. more analysis/evaluation than GCSE but it's easy once you learn how to do it. Only hwk is either an essay/source questions or to do some reading/make notes. very manageable
Most of the people who fail A-levels are people who don't realise the jump between A-level and GCSE. The fact that you recognise this jump, and are willing to put in a lot of effort, means that you should cope just fine. Make sure you don't get complacent and make sure you understand everything from lessons.
They are certainly not the easiest subjects, but universities know this, so the rewards from doing well in them will be greater than if you had chosen easier subjects. I can only speak personally of Chemistry, which I found the hardest out of my subjects (Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry)- but that was probably because I've always been more of a Mathematician/Physicist than a Chemist. It was my worst AS in terms of grades but to be honest, I didn't really do much work for it due to lack of interest compared to Maths and Physics :smile:
Honestly? :lolwut:

Suck it up.
Reply 24
I would say your choices are okay, but are you good at maths ? if yes, do chemistry, if no, then think carefully and discuss with teachers

Quick Reply

Latest