Everyone looking the same.... Watch

beach surf babe
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Does anyone reckon that because some of the big fashion items this year so far have been so big it looks like everyone dresses the same? It seems like everyones become a topshop dresser!!! The thing is because the fashions have been so strong, they're gonna look really dated eventually...
black_mamba
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Because the majority of people follow fashion, more often than not, these folk always look the same. I remember back in the 90's when citrus colours were in (yuck, I know!) and everyone was walking around looking like giant lemons and limes.
tbm
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I think to be an individual its about the way you wear it and how you accessorise, not what you're wearing. But everytime I go to my local shopping centre all the girls seem to be wearing the same- skinny jeans, pumps, stripey tops.
DartsOfPleasure
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yeah, but I suppose it's always been like this. Most people prefer to conform to fashion at any time. I think that I have noticed it a lot more now though since I'm more in to clothes
Happy1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Ive noticed and yes i think that they wil become dated very quickly.

It annoys me because i really like teh skinny jeans and stripy tops etc, but i dont want to buy loads only to find them dated within a couple of months. It sucks being broke lol.
Ludivine
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
That's why I prefer 'classic' fashion, wearing things that aren't too of-the-moment. Trends can be tempting but often they're just not worth it considering how fast fashion moves. You still might look like others though, but I think it's not too hard to bring a little individuality into it.
black_mamba
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Ludivine)
That's why I prefer 'classic' fashion, wearing things that aren't too of-the-moment. Trends can be tempting but often they're just not worth it considering how fast fashion moves. You still might look like others though, but I think it's not too hard to bring a little individuality into it.
Thats my philosophy on fashion too! Yay.
Ludivine
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by black_mamba)
Thats my philosophy on fashion too! Yay.
Great minds... Yeah I learnt plenty about classic in Paris.
*Kates*
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I have friends who throw their clothes out as soon as they go out of fashion, i would never do that, i still have clothes from last winter. If i like them i will still wear them, regardless of wether or not there still in fashion, but i do know what you mean, alot of people do dress the same!
boho
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
yeah i have a cupboard in my bedroom and bags in the loft of clothes i used to have and love, but wouldn't wear at the moment, but just can't bring myself to throw them away. every now and then i go through them and find something that is actually quite cool....

i do agree with what you're saying, and for some people, it is a matter of going into topshop and realising what everyone in there is wearing, as well as what is on the mannequins and thinking oh that must be in fashion. but for quite a lot of people, me and my friends included, its a matter of what we like, what looks good, and how we can use it with what we already own to make it look original. i have this one friend who is so incredible at taking the latest fashions and just making it look like she was the one who came up with it. she can wear polkadots and stripes without looking samey. i feel a lot of people have lost their originality when it comes to dressing.

not really sure what my point was there.
Ludivine
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I suppose a difficulty is that stores today are very trend-oriented and it can sometimes to be hard to find a classic item when most of the items pertain to one trend or another. They are there though, you just have to know where to look for them.
beach surf babe
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
One thing I'm wearing right now that not a lot of people are is.....dungerees!!! They are the best thing and a complete bargain especially as since I've discovered that they are now being sold for more than I paid(bought 'em in a sale) so thats cool.
kinkajou
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I like the fashion, it's just getting sooo boring, but i agree that people can make themselves really individual with the same style if they just add a touch of their own accessories.
tululabelle
Report 12 years ago
Everyone seems to look a bit too fashionable these days. It's quite depressing really and impossible to keep up with. It's probably because places like Topshop make it relatively cheap and easy to wear fashionable stuff when they lay it all out for you in colour co-ordinating sections.
pixiepeep
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It kinda annoys me when I've found something in a back rail in a shop that looks really unique and then two months later everyone's wearing it, and I feel so sheep like!
evil groove
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It's not just this year, it's every year since fashion's beginning.
Environmentalist
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by beach_surf_babe)
Does anyone reckon that because some of the big fashion items this year so far have been so big it looks like everyone dresses the same? It seems like everyones become a topshop dresser!!! The thing is because the fashions have been so strong, they're gonna look really dated eventually...
That's always been the case though! All the fashion fanatics follow the current trend, everyone ends up looking the same, then a few months later anyone who dares to wear the same clothes is 'dated'. It may be more recently that everyone is following fashion more, though, but I really wouldn't know as I didn't used to pay much attention to these things. :p: The number of people last year wearing gypsy skirts was insane though!
phantom
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
the main reason people dress the same is because the majority of them are dreaded 'chavs' which are quickly taking over the world, at least around where i live. because they are so restricted in their dress code they end up wearing exactly the same thing just in varying colours of puke. as they hang around in huge groups it looks comical too.
rebelling against fashion is a lot easier than going with it especially because fashion goes out so quickly, whats in one week will go out by the next. by rebelling i dont mean wearing awful clothes that clash i mean decent clothes that not many people wear. but its also your attitude and the way you wear it...
=nuke=
Badges: 11
Report 12 years ago
Yeah, I look the same as every other girl in the street because I've been wearing polka dots and stripes a lot recently. But hey, it's good stuff and that's why we're wearing it. :p: And I'll still wear polka dots and stripes after they've gone out of fashion, so I really don't mind.
Dilute
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by nuclearbuddha)
Yeah, I look the same as every other girl in the street because I've been wearing polka dots and stripes a lot recently. But hey, it's good stuff and that's why we're wearing it. :p: And I'll still wear polka dots and stripes after they've gone out of fashion, so I really don't mind.
Same. However, I don't like how things we liked before they were trends become trends and suddenly we're trendfollowers? Like the polka dots thing. I got a polka dot dress last summer and now it's all in, soon it'll be out, and so will my dress.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (279)
27.51%
No (735)
72.49%

Watched Threads