Turn on thread page Beta
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I was just wondering if anyone has actually received an unconditional offer having not yet got their A Levels? I know its pretty rare but does happen....so anyone?

ReputationRep:
    yup it has happened to people, there have been topics on here and in the general discussion about it, very rare occurence though

ReputationRep:
    Yup, my friend has had 2 Unconditionals and 4 Conditionals.
    Its all a confussing state of affairs at the moment, as he doesn't do A-Levels, but a BTEC.
    He put down that his predicted grade was MMM, which in fact, universities thought it was his actual grades.
    But, in his personal statement and reference, they both said that he was finishing college THIS year, in July, and that the grades mentioned were predicted.
    Proves that some universities actually don't look at your personal statement/properly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dav')
    Proves that some universities actually don't look at your personal statement/etc properly.
    you're right, they certainly don't! Northumbria treated my real grades as predicted (I applied post Alevel) and gave me a conditional when everyone else gave me unconditionals! lucky I wasn't planning on going there anyway :p:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Thats not good, you'd think that they would deal with applications properly wouldn't you?

ReputationRep:
    In the past you had to do an entrance exam for Oxbridge for all subjects and had the interviews and if they gave you an offer it would be an EE offer.

ReputationRep:
    i think they do that a lot in scotland
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by KerriT)
    In the past you had to do an entrance exam for Oxbridge for all subjects and had the interviews and if they gave you an offer it would be an EE offer.
    Yeah my dad said that. Thing is you'd probably have to be predicted AAA anyway to be considered so its kinda stupid really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by indiechick2kuk)
    i think they do that a lot in scotland
    Yeah, I've had 3 unconditionals and a conditional IIRC.

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was because the exam system is different in Scotland to ours, since some Scottish students begin uni at 17?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Jingaling)
    I thought it was because the exam system is different in Scotland to ours, since some Scottish students begin uni at 17?
    It is because the exam system is different, but not because of the age thing. It's more because in Scotland we do Highers in place of AS-levels, which are actually more like something between AS and A2s and therefore are sufficient really to allow you to begin at university. Scottish universities therefore usually cover some stuff which you'd have done in an A2 (or an Advanced Higher if you're Scottish and stayed on to do them) in the first year, and will sometimes give out unconditional offers to people who have completed Highers, even if they've stayed on at school to do another year of more Highers and/or Advanced Highers.
    Jenn xx

ReputationRep:
    My friends last year got unconditional offers from Aberdeen, despite still doing their A levels. Weird.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    But cool though...did they still have to complete their a levels?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JennLlama)
    ...and will sometimes give out unconditional offers to people who have completed Highers, even if they've stayed on at school to do another year of more Highers and/or Advanced Highers.
    Scottish degree courses often last four years when the same kind of course in England or Wales would be three years. I've heard that people who complete advanced highers are sometimes let into the second year.

ReputationRep:
    Yes! Unconditional offers at KCL to read

either Classical Studies and French, or French and Portuguese...found out last night, am very very happy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gianthead)
    Scottish degree courses often last four years when the same kind of course in England or Wales would be three years. I've heard that people who complete advanced highers are sometimes let into the second year.
    Yes, that's certainly true for some subjects.

ReputationRep:
    My cousin has one for Bournemouth interactive media. Have no idea why they did it, maybe they just really liked him, or if I'm being more cynical, maybe cos hes deaf and they wanted to increase their number of handicapped students...

ReputationRep:
    One girl in my sixth form applied for Geography at Royal Holloway and received an unconditional.

She's terribly clever and really interested in Geography, so you can kinda understand that she'd be in demand. However, Cambridge turned her down. Just proves that one man's trash is another man's treasure...

ReputationRep:
    Someone at school got an unconditional for History at Bath Spa, and a family friend got one for graphic design (or something like that) at Portsmouth (I think?). Gits :P

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.