The Student Room Group

Higher Modern Studies, Physics, RE or Art?

(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
I do Politics at higher :smile:
erm, if you take Physics, it might look as though you are very sciency (4/5 subjects), to me Art would be a waste of time as it won't be very useful for any of your future prospects. For me, I would take Modern Studies as I don't like RE. That way, if you decide to do law or Journalism, you look like an essay-loving guy, but if you apply for medicine you still have 3 sciences (maths, chem, and HB). :smile:
Original post by carmen_
When I looked at the exam timetable I saw Politics and I was like omg! I wish my school would offer that! Thank you very much for your advice but what does 'HB' mean?:biggrin:

Human Biology, I can only presume.
Reply 4
Original post by carmen_
When I looked at the exam timetable I saw Politics and I was like omg! I wish my school would offer that! Thank you very much for your advice but what does 'HB' mean?:biggrin:

Human Biology haha. I got an A for Biology, but it takes a lot of work.
Reply 5
I do RMPS atm and it's brilliant :smile: Ask what units your school do because there's one on medical ethics which would obviously be ideal for medicine and I know a girl in 6th year who did it in S5 and she got asked about medical issues at an interview and she could use her knowledge from that to help her.
Plus if you want to do journalism or law it's very good as it is an essay subject and you learn how to form structured and balanced arguments. Plus the optional units (Crime&punishment,Medical Ethics, Globalization, War and Peace and Gender Issues) are all topics that are always being discussed in the legal and journalism worlds :smile:
I would take RMPS as it gives you an essay subject which is good to keep up should you go into medicine. And also the philosophical dimension will definitely help you with law, as part of the law degree will mean you study jurisprudence. And naturally, showing you have flair to communicate abstract ideological concepts succinctly will help with going into journalism.
Original post by aroy45
I do RMPS atm and it's brilliant :smile: Ask what units your school do because there's one on medical ethics which would obviously be ideal for medicine and I know a girl in 6th year who did it in S5 and she got asked about medical issues at an interview and she could use her knowledge from that to help her.
Plus if you want to do journalism or law it's very good as it is an essay subject and you learn how to form structured and balanced arguments. Plus the optional units (Crime&punishment,Medical Ethics, Globalization, War and Peace and Gender Issues) are all topics that are always being discussed in the legal and journalism worlds :smile:

My school do 'World Religions: Christianity' 'Morality in the Modern World' 'Christianity: Belief and Science' are these good? :biggrin: thanks for your very in-depth answer:smile:
Reply 8
In morality in the modern world there are they five units that your school can choose to do :smile: I do Buddhism but the religious stuff is all pretty easy, mostly just memorizing. CBS is the compulsory unit and it's brilliant. You look at how scientists investigate and understand the world and how Christians do it then compare opinions on things like the Big Bang, Evolution etc. It's a brilliant subject if you're opinionated and like to argue :P
Physics is the only proper subject out of that list and if you study it long enough and deep enough it will change your life. Difficult but immensely rewarding.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
Physics is the only proper subject out of that list and if you study it long enough and deep enough it will change your life. Difficult but immensely rewarding.

Proper subject? Yup, cause learning about medical ethics and morality is useless for a doctor and physics is obviously essential for law and journalism?
Original post by aroy45
Proper subject? Yup, cause learning about medical ethics and morality is useless for a doctor and physics is obviously essential for law and journalism?

Hey if this person is considering taking physics then I wanna encourage it, too many people never give it a chance and miss out something massive.
Hey if this person is considering taking physics then I wanna encourage it, too many people never give it a chance and miss out something massive.

It's Higher Physics, not a degree. She's going to spend his time talking about a ball being thrown through the air, electricity running about in circuits so simplistic the knowledge is useless, and plugging angles into a calculator to determine how well a material refracts visible light. Not to mention half the course is a blatant lie, not even a withholding of the whole truth, but a straight out lie.

You don't do anything 'massive' in Higher (Still) Physics.

This is coming from someone who thinks the field is fascinating.

Art is more trouble than it's worth, OP. So I'd recommend Modern Studies, RMPS or Physics. Pick whichever you enjoy most. You won't be at any disadvantage to anyone else vis-a-vis medicine.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
It's Higher Physics, not a degree. He's going to spend his time talking about a ball being thrown through the air, electricity running about in circuits so simplistic the knowledge is useless, and plugging angles into a calculator to determine how well a material refracts visible light. Not to mention half the course is a blatant lie, not even a withholding of the whole truth, but a straight out lie.

You don't do anything 'massive' in Higher (Still) Physics.

This is coming from someone who thinks the field is fascinating.

Art is more trouble than it's worth, OP. So I'd recommend Modern Studies, RMPS or Physics. Pick whichever you enjoy most. You won't be at any disadvantage to anyone else vis-a-vis medicine.

yeah but you don't get to do anything massive until you get the early stuff out of the way. What is to say this person won't take it and find they thoroughly enjoy it and want to take it further?
yeah but you don't get to do anything massive until you get the early stuff out of the way. What is to say this person won't take it and find they thoroughly enjoy it and want to take it further?

What's to say he won't take Drama in 6th year and find they thoroughly enjoy it and want to take it further?

What ifs aren't a valid argument. The OP is asking for advice regarding her mentioned fields of interests; coercion into a Physics degree has no place in this thread.
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
What's to say he won't take Drama in 6th year and find they thoroughly enjoy it and want to take it further?

What ifs aren't a valid argument. The OP is asking for advice regarding her mentioned fields of interests; coercion into a Physics degree has no place in this thread.

But physics is still a strong subject to have on any university application, especially medicine out of that list of possible degrees. As for the other subjects, modern studies is worthless if it's another name for general studies, art isn't exactly a sought-after subject these days, and RE is... well... about religion :banghead:. Anyway, coercion is such a strong word. I just wanted to put a word in for an epic subject that I feel extremely fortunate to have been turned on to.
Art is actually a really hard higher, there is loads of work to do both design research and your sketchbook as well as the academic stuff so I would only do it if you know you can keep up. A lot of people assume it's an easy option but it's not at all. Also is well respected but it will depend on what you want to study for what you want to do at uni I am not sure. I'm pretty sure that art or music are good to have for medicine as they show manual dexterity as wellas rounding you out as a person. Also I studied RE at higher and it was the most rewarding subject I studied. I involved a lot of independent research so it really set me up for uni.
Reply 17
and RE is... well... about religion :banghead:. .

You obviously haven't studied it? Fair enough you do a unit on religion but it isn't simply trying to convert you and most people find it really interesting.
A unit on morality such as capital punishment or medical ethics where you analyze views, learn about human rights, learn real issues.
A unit that evaluates Science and Religion. I've learned more about the Big Bang Theory and Evolution in RMPS than I have in physics or biology.

I just wanted to put a word in for an epic subject that I feel extremely fortunate to have been turned on to.

There is a difference between putting in a word and encouraging something and telling people subjects are worthless when they aren't. Do you not think learning about politics and how governments work would be helpful for law or journalism? More useful than calculating voltage over a Wheatstone bridge or knowing how a laser works?

Don't be dismissive of subjects you don't know or understand

Don't be dismissive of subjects until you've tried them.
(edited 12 years ago)
But physics is still a strong subject to have on any university application, especially medicine out of that list of possible degrees. As for the other subjects, modern studies is worthless if it's another name for general studies, art isn't exactly a sought-after subject these days, and RE is... well... about religion :banghead:. Anyway, coercion is such a strong word. I just wanted to put a word in for an epic subject that I feel extremely fortunate to have been turned on to.

You do realise that this is a Scottish Qualifications thread, right?
Modern Studies is absolutely nothing like General Studies and is a very well respected subject and is a great choice if you want to go on to study anything like law, journalism, politics, economics and any other similar subject.

RMPS has a unit dedicated to a plethora of world religions (knowledge of which I believe to be rather imperative in our society), a unit dedicated to moral and ethical philosophy, and a unit dedicated to Christianity and its conflicts with science; a unit which I believe could be rewritten to focus more on the philosophy of science rather than science vs. religion.

I have no problem with you suggesting Physics, I think it's a great choice too. I have a problem with you suggesting Physics for the wrong reasons and acting like it's the only respectable or sensible choice. There is nothing wrong with the other subjects.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending