A social group that influences scientific research. Stuck on coursework. Please help!

Watch
littleone271
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Ok basically I'm doing an assignment about pressure groups and for the merit question we have to describe a social group, a pressure group and a political group and describe how they affect scientific research in terms of their strategies.

Picking a political group is easy - Green party. Same with pressure group - Friends of the earth.

Picking a social group isn't so easy because by social group it means people who are brought together by something they have in common such as age, gender, religion, household income, where they live etc. Obviously there are examples such as vegetarians create a demand for meat substitutes to be invented but if a group of people use strategies then surely that makes them a pressure group? pressure groups seem to be considered a different category entirely..

If anybody can shed light on this seemingly impossible question and give me some ideas then I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks
The Phelps
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I see your point and it has confused me so I'm going to be of no use to you. Consider this thread a bump.

I'm an atheist so surely you can just moan about religion ruining society or something like that?
littleone271
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by The Phelps)
I see your point and it has confused me so I'm going to be of no use to you. Consider this thread a bump.

I'm an atheist so surely you can just moan about religion ruining society or something like that?
I swear it's just impossible.

Unfortunately we have to give examples of specific strategies with respect to funding and campaigning and have references and everything and say exactly how they've used the strategies to affect scientific research to their own advantage.

It's so annoying because this is the last assignment for the god awful unit that is perceptions of science and I really just want to knock it on the head!
YoDawg420
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Its not I'm doing the assignment now and have lots of information
Nadiiraahmed
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
could you guide me in how you did it please
bronnie98
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
i hate this unit like what even is a social group going to do to affect scientific research!
eashan97
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
if im not wrong you have to choose just one of them
JCF2002
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Political Group – Green Party“We believe that people are naturally curious about the world, and enjoy extending their knowledge by scientific study. This research is a worthwhile activity in its own right. Scientific study must not be restricted to that which is deemed likely to result in narrow short term economic benefit.”Agenda/ Policy“Scientific research requires proper funding. We value basic research and will ensure it is properly funded. We believe that it is important to have a wide body of research that is not funded or controlled by large corporations.”It is clear that The Green Party support scientific research and advancement and want to properly fund scientific research. From their policy we can see they want to encourage research that is carried out by smaller bodies of scientist and not large corporations. I.e. they want to influence science by increasing funding and having research carried out by smaller scientific communities. Pressure Group - Friends of Earth “Friends of the Earth stands with anyone who cares about the world we live in, whether you’re a first time supporter or a seasoned campaigner. We work with local groups, experts, business leaders and politicians. And we push for change on causes that matter to you.”Friends of Earth campaigns*are*non-violent, they use their being campaigns*to influence science*by campaigning*to*the public and those in government and others who*can make*a significant change. Their campaigns consist of; protesting, hosting events, and meetings. They create pressure to help positively influence environmental science and research, this includes pressure to create laws that protect the environment or helping allocate funding to research. Social Group - Veganism “Veganism is a way of living which seeks to exclude, as far as is possible and practicable, all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose.” – Vegan Society Veganism has created a massive surge in research and creation for animal free products. It has inspired research for the effects this type of lifestyle has on us as humans and how it can affect the environment.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university communicated any last minute changes?

Yes, and they were what I was expecting (4)
11.76%
Yes, and they were not what I was hoping for (10)
29.41%
Yes, and they don't change my view on attending uni (3)
8.82%
No, I haven't received any communication (17)
50%

Watched Threads