The Martial Arts Society Watch

dimexi
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
(Original post by leeboy105)
Can someone educate me on the main differences between Jujitsu and Brazilian Jujitsu please.
Both of them are self defence arts, but Brazillian ju jitsu is more about ground fighting (more judo stuff). I think anyway. See what you can find in the wikipedia
dimexi
Rep:
?
Edit - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazilian_jiu-jitsu

Exactly as I said
lolcano
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by leeboy105)
Can someone educate me on the main differences between Jujitsu and Brazilian Jujitsu please.
BJJ is 95% or so ground based. Some takedowns are drilled in classes though (Sport fights start on the feet)

JJ has more stand up involved with stricking and weapon defence (I dont do jujitsu, so im not certain. I do know though that JJ does not cover ground fighting as much as BJJ)

Another major difference are the lessons. JJ has some sort of scenario based training with set manouvres and basically one guy getting thrown about from what i saw.

In BJJ its full contact, full force sparring, where you can apply techniques spontaniously against someone resisting and applying their own game against you.

BJJ is also a key part in cage or MMA fighting (without the Gi it becomes submission wrestling), and has supposedly been shown to have beaten other Martial arts.
Toing
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by vir)
Its Emmanuel again.

Currently I am living near Camden located in NorthWest London. Does anyone know any good Karate, akido, ju jitsu, judo and kung fu clubs/dojos near to this location?

This would be really helpful

thanks,

Emmanuel
Check the 3run.co.uk forums. There are many topics that answer this question.
Toing
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Oh and people must remember that however good BJJ is in cage/MMA fights, in real life its just not practical to start grappling someone on the road/pavement (especially if he has friends who kick your spine while you're busy grappling).
dimexi
Rep:
?
(Original post by Toing)
Oh and people must remember that however good BJJ is in cage/MMA fights, in real life its just not practical to start grappling someone on the road/pavement (especially if he has friends who kick your spine while you're busy grappling).
What if you find yourself on the ground in a fight? Surely then, BJJ will come useful.. We do groundfighting, (but I'm a JJ person) and I think most of the ground fighting stuff is really useful
Hashshashin
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by dimexi)
What if you find yourself on the ground in a fight? Surely then, BJJ will come useful..
What if you don't find yourself on the ground in a fight? :rolleyes:
dimexi
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hashshashin)
then I carry out my normal skills . I said 'if' for a reason .i.e. condition. Like when one gets jumped, he might end up on the ground.
Anyways, I dont really have a concern/issue since I do ju jitsu and not brazillian ju jitsu. Ground fighting cannot be completely written off IMO
Hashshashin
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by dimexi)
then I carry out my normal skills . I said 'if' for a reason .i.e. condition. Like when one gets jumped, he might end up on the ground.
Anyways, I dont really have a concern/issue since I do ju jitsu and not brazillian ju jitsu. Ground fighting cannot be completely written off IMO
Sorry, I was just being pedantic. I'm actually very interested in trying some Jujitsu, I'm just not a fan of ground fighting at all.
leeboy105
Report 12 years ago
Most street fights i've seen have ended up on the ground, so i suppose BJJ does have its qualities.
dimexi
Rep:
?
Sorry, I was just being pedantic. I'm actually very interested in trying some Jujitsu, I'm just not a fan of ground fighting at all.
That's ok..
I don't like ground fighting much either, though I see how some of the techniques can be useful..

You SHOULD try jitsu (well, I would say that :p: ), it's great
Toing
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hmm I've watched lots of JuJitsu training sessions and after most of the techniques both attacker and defender end up on the ground.
dimexi
Rep:
?
(Original post by Toing)
Hmm I've watched lots of JuJitsu training sessions and after most of the techniques both attacker and defender end up on the ground.
No, most of the time, the attacker ends on the ground + it depends on the throw.. but im postive the attacker MOSTLY ends on the ground
NathanL
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hey everybody, 1st time poster on this soc-thread.

I've been doing shotokan karate for a few months now - tis great, and I'm loving it.

However, something I've been thinking about after hearing different opinions.

In a real fight, a normal street fight say with one or more thugs on a street at night, how useful is it?

Thanks,

Nathan
Toing
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Anything can be useful if you know how to use it well, and instinctively. Thats the key word, 'instinct'.
Hashshashin
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Toing)
Anything can be useful if you know how to use it well, and instinctively. Thats the key word, 'instinct'.
'Commitment' would be another one. Shotokan won't do much for you if your heart's not really in it 100%, or you don't put the effort in to pratise regularly. Then again, I imagine that this applies to most martial arts.
lolcano
Report 12 years ago
I think im going to take up TKD here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaSKdXq4Ii4
NathanL
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
That is why I never want to marry an American.
NathanL
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Oh and thanks for the answers people
Toing
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by lolcano)
I think im going to take up TKD here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaSKdXq4Ii4
insert middle finger emoticon here
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1111)
79.07%
Leave (294)
20.93%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed