The Martial Arts Society Watch

TSRXShogun
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hey guys can someone help me? Im looking for sites that give you info about weapon kata? For example if you have Bo (stick) you can do Shoshanikon, etc.So can anyoen help me finding any site that provide such info and by the way do any of yall trained with weapons yet? Ive trained with Sai and Bo and soon swords (kendo) perhaps...
Anth
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Trained with nunchaku, sai, katana (iaito)/bokken and done some stuff with staff (bo and jo), tonfa and had a quick play with kama (put them down when I couldnt work out how to block without getting me knuckles clouted/cut).

The only link I have for Bo kata is this. The book "Bo - Karate Weapon of Self Defense" by Fumio Demura has the kata Shushi No Kon Sho in.

If you have done any empty hand martial arts (particularly karate), then you should be able to convert the empty hand stuff to various weapons (nunchaku, tonfa, sai or bo) quite easily. The shotokan Heian and Wado ryu Pinan kata go very well with the weapons, with Kanku Dai and Bassai Dai being "interesting" with sai or nunchaku
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hi everyone,
It was the legend that is Bruce Lee that really made me fall in love with martial arts
Does anyone knoe anywhere in or around London where I can begin learning Jeet Kune Do. Is there any advice for someone inexperienced in the field of martial arts- which martial art should i begin with? is jeet kune do not a good idea?

Thanks you all
ForeverIsMyName
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Don't know how into MMA any of you guys are...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNUsmh8ll98

This is a great HL reel.
lolcano
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by ForeverIsMyName)
Don't know how into MMA any of you guys are...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNUsmh8ll98

This is a great HL reel.
My favourite is Furious Angels by Boondock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z7dw6UUiYk

Also the mayhem miller HL (just because its mayehem) but i cant find it
ForeverIsMyName
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If anyone has heard, the finest Light heavyweight from Pride and the UFC are having a fight. Chuck Liddell versus Wanderlei Silva is going to be an immense match. Predictions on the winner?
lolcano
Report 12 years ago
If anyone has heard, the finest Light heavyweight from Pride and the UFC are having a fight. Chuck Liddell versus Wanderlei Silva is going to be an immense match. Predictions on the winner?
I actually heard he wants to f*** chuck......

And i predict Wand wins. That is assuming Chuck beats Babalu first. I only wish the fight was under Pride rules. Seeing Wand without the soccer kicks and stomps wont be the same.

I dont think Chuck is a massive underdog, but i just cant see him beating Wanderlei.

Now we need to see Fedor in the UFC. Although this will probably result in Sylvia being killed.
Lady Narcissus
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hi again

Bascially, at trianing last Monday a girl really really injured my hand. I was holding a kick pad out and she missed, kicked my hand full pelt with trainers on. I thought I'd broken it. Afterwards, it went blue and started shaking. I have now been given the all clear. But the problem is that I am really worried about this happening again because it was so reckless, it was as good as deliberate. She also ripped the other girls skin on her hand and bruised it. She is really silly and I don't want to go to trianing now because I have paid for a ice hockey camp and if she does this again I won't be fit to go. I am not a wimp and I am prepared for injuries but this was really uneccessary and silly. Anyone can cause a lot of harm to a delicate part of the body by kicking without TKD trianing, nevermind with it. Accidents happen but you should respect the person helping you trian-fights are different

Also in free sparring she started to kick a kid half her size full contact. She is spoilin the sessions
redluc
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by LauraWalker)
Hi again

Bascially, at trianing last Monday a girl really really injured my hand. I was holding a kick pad out and she missed, kicked my hand full pelt with trainers on. I thought I'd broken it. Afterwards, it went blue and started shaking. I have now been given the all clear. But the problem is that I am really worried about this happening again because it was so reckless, it was as good as deliberate. She also ripped the other girls skin on her hand and bruised it. She is really silly and I don't want to go to trianing now because I have paid for a ice hockey camp and if she does this again I won't be fit to go. I am not a wimp and I am prepared for injuries but this was really uneccessary and silly. Anyone can cause a lot of harm to a delicate part of the body by kicking without TKD trianing, nevermind with it. Accidents happen but you should respect the person helping you trian-fights are different

Also in free sparring she started to kick a kid half her size full contact. She is spoilin the sessions

Raise your concerns with the person who leads your sessions.. don't need these kind of people in a training environment unless you want it. No-one likes to see the gung-ho antics described above.
Anth
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I agree with redluc. Theres no room for carelessness in MA as far as I'm concerned.
Lady Narcissus
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I agree, best just to mention it
Toing
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hi again

I've had experience with people like that. In my case, it was the teacher's assistant. You should definitely bring it up with the coach, but if she keeps trying to hurt you I'd suggest teaching her a lesson during sparring.
dimexi
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I suggest to raise the issue with the person before taking it to the club instructor.. Mistakes happen, but as you said it's probably deliberate. I have hurt a few people during training, but it's either because I didn't mean to or they were just not working together with me, which in turn leads to accidents..
Well, when I say hurt, I really mean, terribly winded them :p:
Lady Narcissus
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Its been raised with her numberous times, and she was told off by the instructor last week. She is younger than us anyway, still in early teen at Senior school.
dimexi
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Its been raised with her numberous times, and she was told off by the instructor last week. She is younger than us anyway, still in early teen at Senior school.
Hurt her back :p: /bad advice
redluc
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
She sounds fairly new to the whole exercise...
Perhaps take her aside and explain how important it is to be compassionate with your training partners - yes, we need to use force when sparring - but the aim should never be to harm your partner. One of the joys about martial arts for me is being aggressive with friends in a safe environment and we definitely hurt each other sometimes - but mostly accidentally. At the end of the day it's important to be able to go out once you leave the dojo and have a drink or a laugh with your partners. If the animosity is carried outside due to recklessness, you are losing out on a whole side of martial arts - mental conditioning.

Perhaps you could take her under your wing and teach her a few things maybe?

Just try and guide her towards acceptable levels of force..
Lady Narcissus
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Thanks for your advice, it was not as bad tonight
Solid_L
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
When we get people like that we normally let some of the more experienced people spar with them :p:
ForeverIsMyName
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by lolcano)
I actually heard he wants to f*** chuck......

And i predict Wand wins. That is assuming Chuck beats Babalu first. I only wish the fight was under Pride rules. Seeing Wand without the soccer kicks and stomps wont be the same.

I dont think Chuck is a massive underdog, but i just cant see him beating Wanderlei.

Now we need to see Fedor in the UFC. Although this will probably result in Sylvia being killed.
Hm I'm predicting a Chuck victory tbh, Wandy isn't unstoppable (Note Tito+Vitor)...

Plus, I like Tim. He's underated, especially if you look at what he did to Mcgee and Rogrigeuz...

But yeah, Fedor would mash him up and spit him out. As would cro-cop.
lolcano
Report 12 years ago
Hm I'm predicting a Chuck victory tbh, Wandy isn't unstoppable (Note Tito+Vitor)...

Plus, I like Tim. He's underated, especially if you look at what he did to Mcgee and Rogrigeuz...

But yeah, Fedor would mash him up and spit him out. As would cro-cop.
Hmmm is that MMAth i see? Wanderlei lost to Tito and Belfort like 7 years ago, i think he would destroy them both now. Chuck could quite easily win, but i just cant see Wand losing to Chuck, that is of course if the fight ever goes ahead which they are doubting now.

Tim underated? Dont you mean overated? Mcgee and Rodriguez, arent top heavyweights, what i saw of Rodriguez in WFA he didnt look great either.

UFC's lately arent looking good. Although UFN 6 tomorrow looks ok Diego vs Karo as main event, and Leben is always entertaining (especially when he gets knocked out by fighters from "Japan where it is easier"). Will be great or very boring i think. UFC 62 looks poor, i dont want to see Bonnar and Griffin again, only the Babalu and Chuck fight looks exciting.

Mayhem and Lawler though, which will be awesome. Anything with Mayhem in it is great, they need him in the UFC, he was too skinny against GSP (who will beat Hughes)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (108)
19.78%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (222)
40.66%
Nope, not that interesting (216)
39.56%

Watched Threads