The Martial Arts Society Watch

dimexi
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
(Original post by LauraWalker)
I think we've done Harai goshi and it was more of a leg drive.

Are accidents all that common when throwing people?
Yep, accidents are common when doing throws, if they fall badly, they can get winded or hurt their ankles or something + If you do the technique wrong, you could hurt your Uke as well, but that comes with the Art. Hopefully, the accidents aren't severe..

I have been doing crazy complicated throws lately :s:, today, I did sumeotoshi (corner drop) and kata guruma; wasn't loving it at all
Farrdango
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hey guys, good to be back...hope everyone is doing good.

well I was in Karate class few days ago and got into some real hardcore trainning. We did scenario trainning. Has anyone else done this? The military, public security services(police, fire, etc) does things like this too. The sensei that was there put us into groups, or even solo and ran a scenario that we were being attacked or some kind of problem was being created. it was fun! we didn't just figth...we had to use are heads, calm the situation. and if it lead to battle, it we went to battle.
Eltharodo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hey guys

I'm a 7th Kup Taekwondo student, coming up for my greenbelt grading this January. Been training for nearly a year now, and enjoy it immensely. Currently working on flexibility by shadow-sparring, both as exercise and technique drilling! Ill drop in on the discussion here from time to time

Dave
Lady Narcissus
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
cool, I would be heading for about 7th kup if I had not had to give up WTF at uni, I've been 'doing' TKD for nearly a year too but I cannot train much at the moment.

Judo:
When I mentioned accidents, I meant more like people hurting their neck and spine. I don't mind a bit of winding but serious injuries would worry me.
dimexi
Rep:
?
cool, I would be heading for about 7th kup if I had not had to give up WTF at uni, I've been 'doing' TKD for nearly a year too but I cannot train much at the moment.

Judo:
When I mentioned accidents, I meant more like people hurting their neck and spine. I don't mind a bit of winding but serious injuries would worry me.
Not come across such.. Judo is calmer than jitsu, the worst I've heard in Judo is dislocated shoulders, well that could put you out of the sport for life :s:
Lady Narcissus
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yer but I suppose its a risk worth taking, better than a broken neck
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hi guys... I need advice please.
Im willing to take up a martiial art and dedicate great time and effort into it. Im sure you'll all agree that picking the 'right' one is very very important.

a place near me does jeet kune do- any suggestions?
my friend, on the other hand, does judo, and recommends it wholeheartedly.
AJ-1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by 1361)
Hi guys... I need advice please.
Im willing to take up a martiial art and dedicate great time and effort into it. Im sure you'll all agree that picking the 'right' one is very very important.

a place near me does jeet kune do- any suggestions?
my friend, on the other hand, does judo, and recommends it wholeheartedly.
bruce lee is the main reason i took up kung fu, and why the master of my assocation started it, but i wouldnt do JKD, for the one main reason that the whole of bruces system was not taught to his students, and his best student, Dan Insotano i think its spelt, he doesnt teach in the UK. So basically any clubs teaching it in the UK will probably be a great variation of the original JKD system, i.e. its been passed down, got to england, and instructas changing it as its gone down, a bit like chinese whispers. Dan Insotano is one of the only people who can properly teach JKD. Other that that i would say give wing chun a go (being a bit bias here), muay thai, or boxing
Teebs
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Judo is a brilliant martial art with consistently high standards due to the competitive nature of gradings. If it's a choice between that and Jeet Kune Do I'd recommend judo. If you have Muay Thai or boxing I'd recommend those too.
Lady Narcissus
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I had to take on a jitsu blue belt in Judo, she was really good at throwing. Luckily I used my weight so she could only throw me 3 times but man. Her Judo whilte belt is deceptive. I noticed that she came in and unbalanced me when I was trying to throw her, experience and all that.
dimexi
Rep:
?
I had to take on a jitsu blue belt in Judo, she was really good at throwing. Luckily I used my weight so she could only throw me 3 times but man. Her Judo whilte belt is deceptive. I noticed that she came in and unbalanced me when I was trying to throw her, experience and all that.
Jitsuka kick Judoka arse anyday
Millie B
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by DrF)
I'd recommend Jiu-Jitsu over Judo.

Did TKD for about 5 years, got to 2nd Kup (Red Belt). Then I got bored of it and left haha. Looking to get back into it, though, purely because it's an aesthetically pleasing martial art...more for the sport aspect of it rather than anything else. Also have a couple of years of kickboxing experience, and I still participate in boxing fairly regularly (it helps that the club is about 30 seconds from my house).

But anyway, it depends what you're looking for in a martial art. If it's the combat/self defence side of things, you can't go wrong with MMA (just remembered Jeet Kune Do is a form of MMA). Might be hard to find a place that teaches it, though. Muay Thai, Boxing, Kickboxing, etc. are all good bets. Or, if you have the time/patience/funds/etc, you could try combining a striking art with a grappling art. Like Muay Thai and Jiu Jitsu, which is a highly effective combination often taught in MMA schools. Maybe even try to learn an art that deals with grappling, striking, joint locks and all that jazz, like Hapkido or Ninjutsu.

If the traditional/spiritual refinement aspect of a martial art is important to you as well, try one of the many forms of Kung-Fu (Wu-shu), or Karate.
i do these three styles at the MMA school that i go to, and your right they're the best. I've been doing it for 5 months now. And absolutely love it. Highly reccommend. My dad used to do Wing chun for just over 15 years but had to stop due to a knee injury. Now he's started mma with me so it's all good.
Lady Narcissus
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by dimexi)

A blue belt Jitsuka v. white JUdoka (I have only got yellow belt theory), hardly a fair contest *OUCH* Um missed training all last week, so busy with tutorials.
Teebs
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by dimexi)
Meh. We did stand up grappling at my karate class one session and had a ju jitsu black belt training with us at the time and I beat him at it and my only grappling experience is a bit of judo.
Millie B
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
oh last night i did some wing chun kung fu at my MMA class. It was so great. wish i could just do that.
johnduddy07
Report 11 years ago
heya dimexi

We have organised a coach to the SENI07 Martial Arts Show at the London Excel.

Making it easier, cheaper, safer and more accessible to get to, into and home from the show.

Not only is travelling by coach safer, more comfortable, easier and more relaxed than travelling by train or car; but by travelling with other people who share the similar interest, its a great way to meet, interact and network with new people.

Plus for one full coach, we take off between 12-50 cars off the road, so its great on fuel and better for the environment.

The day
The coach will be picking up at convenient times and locations and will stay for the entire duration of the day, right to the end of the show; plus with fully exec coaches, you can make full use of the huge storage capacity under the coach for any shopping or equipment you may buy on the day.

Where from?
The coaches will be picking up NATIONWIDE

Special offer
As a martial arts school, we are giving away one free seat and entry with each group booking of 12.

More info
For more info on the show visit: http://www.senishow.com

To book your tickets visit: http://www.ticketm8.co.uk/seni (you can also find the link via the official Seni website).
Or call us on 01903 243 489.

Please note that bookings must be made by 10 May.
adamstra
Report 11 years ago
iv done shotokan karate since i was 5, im a 2nd dan but havnt trained properly in a year or 2
ForeverIsMyName
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm starting judo soon - Any idea how close to modern Brazilian Jujitsu and sub-grappling it is?
Confectionary
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I want to start a martial art once I start university, any ideas which one?:p:
ForeverIsMyName
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Confectionary)
I want to start a martial art once I start university, any ideas which one?:p:
Depends exactly what you're looking for! I recommend Brazilian Jujitsu and Kickboxing, which will give you a nice mix!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think the internet has made political discussion more aggressive?

Yes (54)
98.18%
No (1)
1.82%

Watched Threads