Turn on thread page Beta

The Martial Arts Society watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForeverIsMyName)
    Why on earth would you try and spinning-anything anybody in a real fight? Showing someone the back of your head, not a very good idea.

That was if i was going to walk away but if i was going to fight them instead that's what I'd do. With the arm break there head isn't involved in that. When you have the arm in with the head lock it just re- stricks blood to the head so they'd be mentally not with it. It's hard to explain without being able to demonstrate.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone here agree that the western countries are too soft, when teaching martial arts? I don't have any experience myself but I have several friends that aren't allowed to experience martial arts 100%.
    Basically, I mean that we should have ancient fight schools like they have in asian countries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sephirona)
    Does anyone here agree that the western countries are too soft, when teaching martial arts? I don't have any experience myself but I have several friends that aren't allowed to experience martial arts 100%.
    Basically, I mean that we should have ancient fight schools like they have in asian countries.
    lol....nobody had the right to learn a system 100% in the old days. there was only to be one person to carry down the teachings. and not everyone saw the same thing...depending on what rank or experience you are, you'd focus on esrtain things. like excersice or just ONE kata.

Maybe not everything is told due to lost of history and the conection to the pass. perhaps its just not a good school. maybe the person teaching is still being taught themselves. But your statement isn't completely true. I am of western countries and have spent an amount of living time in western countries. My sensei will only hold back what isn't acceptable or neccesarry for a persons rank, and even then he doesn't hold back that much.

ReputationRep:
    okay, okay...another scenario time everyone. Your walking with a friend who happens to be a girl. Your leaviong the movies and on the way to your car. You have to give her a ride home, so shes with you too. A man is walking on the opposite side of the parking lot and you notice him staring and your friend. Its either he doesn't see you or really just doesn't give a ****. He's looking at her in a way that rather freaks you out. A small grin with eyes shortly shut. Half way towards the car he starts moving towards the same direction in which you are moving to, but not directly at you. He hasn't made in gestures or significant movements, hands in his coat and it appears that his eyes haven't really moved much....away from your friend. But shes non the wizer and is still talking to you.

What to do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by da_nolo)
    okay, okay...another scenario time everyone. Your walking with a friend who happens to be a girl. Your leaviong the movies and on the way to your car. You have to give her a ride home, so shes with you too. A man is walking on the opposite side of the parking lot and you notice him staring and your friend. Its either he doesn't see you or really just doesn't give a ****. He's looking at her in a way that rather freaks you out. A small grin with eyes shortly shut. Half way towards the car he starts moving towards the same direction in which you are moving to, but not directly at you. He hasn't made in gestures or significant movements, hands in his coat and it appears that his eyes haven't really moved much....away from your friend. But shes non the wizer and is still talking to you.

What to do?
    Keep a firm eye on the guy for sudden movements.. You will be ready for it and hope you act swiftly , well you'd also hope it isn't a gun in his pocket. Try not to cause any trouble though by asking "what the **** are you looking at you ****"

ReputationRep:
    any one do Karate? or Kung Fu etc??

i want to konw where is good for beignner to learn Karate,

i find that a club call London Docklands Karate Club, anyone konw that?

i live in Eltham London, so as close as possible, many thanks!:p:

ReputationRep:
    any one????????

ReputationRep:
    Any legitimate club under a legitimate federation is acceptable and should be welcoming for beginners.

www.martialartsplanet.com should be able to help you out a fair bit

ReputationRep:
    thanks a lot!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    It depends in what kind of form of self defence you are intrested in, there are many, like wushu,akido,krav maga,tai chi, normal karate.
    Some of these aim at real life situations on the street where you are usually outnumbered and weaponless, but others use their opponents strenghth against them, whilst other forms of karate consist of locks and throws. So first decide in which form you are intrested, i.e. what your aims and goals are ? is it to be able to protect yourself in a vulnerable situation or is it just to build up your confidence and stamina.:cool:

ReputationRep:
    Hello guyzz
    I have been wondering if any of you guys could tell me about "Krav Maga" ?
    I have heard that it is the most realistic form of defence, as it all based on quick and sharp reflexes! What do you guys think of it ?Do you agree or not?
    Is it good for the streets ? where you are usually outnumbered and without a weapon! What do you think of it? is it a good form of self defence or not ? and if not then which form do you think is the best and why ? keep yourr views coming.

sorry for making it sound all muddled up !!

ReputationRep:
    How do you defeat a person, who is also much larger than you in terms in weight?

ReputationRep:
    How do you defeat a person, who is also much larger than you in terms in weight?
    Well there are many ways, you can target his pressure points if uou know how to, or otherwise you use speed and agression.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hooligan)
    Well there are many ways, you can target his pressure points if uou know how to, or otherwise you use speed and agression.
    He's my cousin and he weighs around 80 kg, whilst I only weigh 58-60. His fists are just go through my defence for some reason. Well, close combat is in favor of him. Impossible to floor him :p:

ReputationRep:
    How about a nice kick to the groin? That you should do the trick,I've seen bigger men go down,80kg is normal weight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hooligan)
    How about a nice kick to the groin? That you should do the trick,I've seen bigger men go down,80kg is normal weight.
    Not an actual fight :ninja: He's 2 years younger than me, and he's on the same level as I am (in terms of strength). We always kinda wrestle.

ReputationRep:
    Not an actual fight :ninja: He's 2 years younger than me, and he's on the same level as I am (in terms of strength). We always kinda wrestle.
    Then stick to it; shoot for a single leg takedown and control him on the floor until he's so tired of trying to escape.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForeverIsMyName)
    Then stick to it; shoot for a single leg takedown and control him on the floor until he's so tired of trying to escape.
    O! what about the seat belt?? (well thats how my coach refered to it) your in a tie (well maybe you dont need to be) move him around a bit by using your hands...monkey paw my coach called it. thats how you hold on to the person. form of the hand. and then yank downward (though might not need be a yank) and wrap one arm around the head. By having the arm and head on the same side of your body (right or left) with preasure on the head and your free arm under the arm (left arm free? then it would be their right) and slide your arm all the way down across the back and down towrds the persons hips...then continue with the preasure on the head and the side of the body...brining the person down....leaving you in prime position of a T with opponent already in a hold.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else do this? Any opinions?

Would anyone recommend anything else?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, give it a go, they're usually great fun.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.