The Martial Arts Society Watch

Bugzy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
When I realise how to join the society, I will!

I do taekwondo, have only been doing it for roughly 3 months now but it's going strong.

I've noticed a lot of people take martial arts just for self defence and I think this is where so many go wrong.

There is much more to it.

Anywho, i'm only 9th Kup so very much a minor at the moment but I received highest marks last grading so I'm eager to move up the ranks quickly.
Mountain_Mike
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
Hey Folks, I study Wado Ryu with a club up in Cumbria and I love it. I also do Tai Chi and have done Aikido (though I'm on layoff from that because of a shoulder injury).
dimexi
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
(Original post by Mountain_Mike)
Hey Folks, I study Wado Ryu with a club up in Cumbria and I love it. I also do Tai Chi and have done Aikido (though I'm on layoff from that because of a shoulder injury).
Shoulder injuries suck dont they .. I had one straight after my final year so I have missed about a year's worth of sessions and need to get the motivation to return
Mountain_Mike
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by dimexi)
Shoulder injuries suck dont they .. I had one straight after my final year so I have missed about a year's worth of sessions and need to get the motivation to return
Aye, they do. It's stopped me climbing too which is a collossal pain in the ass! Fortunately, with karate and tai chi I can take it easy...with aikido I get thrown around like a ragdoll and it really doesn't do it any favours. Haha.
dh00001
Badges: 14
Report 11 years ago
i used to teach wado but had to stop due to health too :rofl: what a bunch we are
Tianbao
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I do 空手道 Karate
Hannah2411
Report 11 years ago
hey, i have done Wado Ryu karate for 7 years. Im a black belt i am national champion in womens weapons. I have shoulder injuries alot due to doing bo. I can sympathise with you
Tianbao
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
sorry, what does sympathize mean? support???
Sephirona
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
difference between jujustu and judo?
Kolya
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Sephirona)
difference between jujustu and judo?
Judo is a development, or sub-form, of the generic term "jujutsu" which refers to a wide variety of grappling martial arts.
Ghost Grey
  • CV Helper
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hey! New here, not knew to martial arts. Taekwon-do and various weapon training e.g bo staff, jo staff and swords.
Originally Posted by dimexi
I injured my shoulder as well haven't been in three months. Feels like a bloody year though sinces I've been. Tried to do a reverse backkick and strained my muscle yesterday :rolleyes: I was an assistant instructor too, plus missed two competitions :mad:

Anyway got my physio on thursday so I can go for a couple of lessons before I go travelling for 5 months... Hopefully when I'm at uni I'll get to do it there.

Anyone carry on their sport while at Uni? I would like to help run it as I'm a qualified instructor.
Sephirona
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I broke my collar bone when I tried judo for the first time.
Ghost Grey
  • CV Helper
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
W...T...F

Sorry to hear that Sephirona. Sounds a bit drastic. What did the sensei (sorry I don't know the 'official' term for judo instructors) say about the situation.

My injury was from deep diving (in the sea :rolleyes: ) and my arm getting twisted and then a dog attacking me and pulling it out of it's socket and then some muscle tissue was ripped or something. So, to pick up a pint of water hurt..
Sephirona
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It was an accident, so nothing much happened.
burningnun
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Who here does Judo? How easy is it to apply Judo techniques to fighting without a gi?
Sephirona
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I used to do Judo, I was a yellow belt newbie though. Not much help :p:
The Lyceum
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by burningnun)
Who here does Judo? How easy is it to apply Judo techniques to fighting without a gi?
I'm not a Judoka per se, However it may be worth looking at the variety of other grappling arts that do not use the gi.

The gi is largely to build a technical base in technique and to improve grip strength, an often overlooked factor.

It's quite a subjective question really, depends how one trains Judo.
C_B_C
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hey guys; new here!

Name's Matt, got a orange belt in taekwondo, and about to go to Ju Jitsu classes. I'm really good at self-defence tecniques, and have used them in a few fights I've been in (I live in quite a rough town).

Looking forwards to chating about it all...
C_B_C
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by burningnun)
If you're interested in griping, or throwing techniques, you might find self-defence techniques easier to apply, and in some ways more useful.

I could try to teach you some, but there are videos around that are better at it.
Guvnor
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by C_B_C)
If you're interested in griping, or throwing techniques, you might find self-defence techniques easier to apply, and in some ways more useful.

I could try to teach you some, but there are videos around that are better at it.
You got any links of any decent videos ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (140)
46.51%
Pro-humanity (161)
53.49%

Watched Threads