Turn on thread page Beta

The Martial Arts Society watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I finally joined up with a Capoeira class

Going to try out different classes to get an overall feel.

ReputationRep:
    Belt grading March 28th. Eeep!

ReputationRep:
    i havent read all the posts (there's so many!) so i dont really know what the conversation is about at the mo (sorry!) but anyway i've just joined this society woo! i do kickboxing and have been doing it for about a year now - got three belts and will soon be going for my fourth! although i've heard that some kickboxing clubs dont give belts out?
    i love it - its alot of fun and a top workout! unfortunately tho i'm titchy (5 foot 2 and about 6-7 stone!) so when i get a push kick done on me i tend to go careering across the room cos everyone is bigger and heavier than me! my instuctor has been teaching me how to stand my ground a bit more, cos she's also little!

in regards to your stance; get low. sit into it. it will ground you more

ReputationRep:
    aye i've been trying that also making sure both my feet are flat, cos i tend to not do that when holding the pad for someone to kick! but i dont like doing that cos i get a bit scared i might just topple over instead of running backwards in at least a half controlled way which i do when i'm standing on my toes a bit! ah well it will do me good in the long run i suppose!

yep you either need to be low and solid or high and light

ReputationRep:
    My kickboxing class doesn't do belts, mainly 'cos it's part of a club that is Tae Kwon Do based, and offers to KB classes for cardio fitness - just focusing on techniques, no contact sparring either, only shadow. Contact/point etc. sparring is just confined to the TKD classes.

ReputationRep:
    is tae kwon do good? im interested in trying other martial arts
    my kickboxing class does do sparring, although ive not really tried it yet! just practising on pads and stuff i wanna try sparring tho, although i'm smaller than everyone else so it may not be such a good idea ha ha!

ReputationRep:
    I do tae kwon do! I'm ITF Blue tag... It's awesome! Sparring is THE best - I won the last competition I was in and have a lovely gold medal to show for my conquests of beating red belts mwhahahaha

ReputationRep:
    -Agrees-

TKD is amazing, I'm ITF Blue belt, going for Blue Belt Red Tag in 2 weeks. I previously trained in WTF, but out of the 2 I would reccommend ITF.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys. I'm going for my first shukokai karate lesson next week, so I thought I'd stick my head round the door. This looks like a really diverse group, which is a good thing. At the moment I don't really know what to expect from karate - hopefully I'll have something more sensible to say after my class.

ReputationRep:
    Heya guys, thought i'd also pop my head in.

I'm a Thai boxer, just started some boxing too (I already fight Thai, I might have a go at some amateur boxing fights too).

I have done some sub grappling before too (basically a jujitsu club that practised -Gi) but i'm just striking at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    Veil, do you fight pro or amateur? I've been practicing Muay Thai on and off for a year, don't have anywhere to train in the summer but I'm hoping to change that. It's getting more and more addictive, I really want to immerse myself into the culture even if I don't end up competing.

ReputationRep:
    Just had my blue belt - red tag grading. Find out how I did on Tuesday. Didn't go horrifically, so fingers crossed.

ReputationRep:
    Hey.
    New to the society!

Just wondering about a couple of things. I'm going to Liverpool Uni soonish, and one of the clubs I want to join is Taekwondo (I'm Orange belt), but I've also been looking at JuJitsu.

See, I have no Ju-Jitsu experiance, but I guess I prefere the idea of it more than the idea of Taekwondo... I've only been able to do Taekwondo as there was no other Martial Arts club in my god-forgotten town, and I had to leave it when the instructor left town .

Would you recomend I carry on with Taekwondo, or start Ju-Jitsu as a white belt?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    They're two very different martial arts. I love Tae Kwon Do, so I'm biased.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C_B_C)
    Hey.
    New to the society!

Just wondering about a couple of things. I'm going to Liverpool Uni soonish, and one of the clubs I want to join is Taekwondo (I'm Orange belt), but I've also been looking at JuJitsu.

See, I have no Ju-Jitsu experiance, but I guess I prefere the idea of it more than the idea of Taekwondo... I've only been able to do Taekwondo as there was no other Martial Arts club in my god-forgotten town, and I had to leave it when the instructor left town .

Would you recomend I carry on with Taekwondo, or start Ju-Jitsu as a white belt?

Cheers
    Try both, see which you enjoy. In terms of practicality, jiujitsu is much better though... maybe my bias is creeping in.

ReputationRep:
    what does Tae-kwon-do involve? I'm going to uni in september and plan to carry on kickboxing and also wanted to try Judo, but Plymouth doesnt have a Judo club it does have a Tae-kwon-do club though, so i'm thinking of trying that, but i don't really know much about it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hanfromman)
    what does Tae-kwon-do involve? I'm going to uni in september and plan to carry on kickboxing and also wanted to try Judo, but Plymouth doesnt have a Judo club it does have a Tae-kwon-do club though, so i'm thinking of trying that, but i don't really know much about it!
    I do both Kickboxing and Tae Kwon Do!

What exactly would you like to know about TKD? It literally translates as 'the art of the hand and foot'. I practice ITF [International TKD Federation] Taekwondo, but before I moved clubs I was WTF [World.. etc]. WTF focus much more heavily on the sparring, and tend to rely pretty much only on leg work - and it is the style in the Olympics (My old club focused very heavily on the sparring and combat side of the martial art - obviously it will vary wherever you go, and different clubs will have different styles.) At the club I'm at currently we follow a certain syllabus - and this quarter we're focusing heavily on forms, combinations and self defence. If you find a very traditional TKD club you may have to learn terminology in Korean, compared to some clubs which never learn any at all. Some clubs will also incorporate weapons into their lessons, but again it depends.

A basic lesson for me consists of:

About 10/15 miuntes warm up and stretch
    10/15 minutes floor combinations and drills/pad work
    5/10 minutes working on current belt form
    10/15 minutes sparring
    5 minutes warm down/stretch

Although it varies each quarter and from lesson to lesson.

Quite a good summation:

Although each Taekwondo club or school will be different, a Taekwondo student can typically expect to take part in most or all of the following:

* Learning the techniques and curriculum of Taekwondo
    * Both anaerobic and aerobic workout, including stretching
    * Self-defense techniques (hosinsul 호신술)
    * Patterns (also called forms, poomsae 품새, teul 틀, hyeong 형)
    * Sparring (called kyeorugi 겨루기, or matseogi 맞서기 in the ITF), which may include 3-, 2- and 1-step sparring, free-style, arranged, and point sparring, and other types
    * Relaxation and meditation exercises
    * Throwing and/or Falling techniques (dunjigi and torojigi)
    * Breaking (also called destruction; gyokpa). Using techniques to break boards for testing, training and martial arts demonstrations. Demonstrations often also incorporate bricks, tiles, blocks of ice or other materials. Can be separated into two types:
    o Power breaking - using straightforward techniques to break as many boards etc as possible.
    o Special techniques - breaking fewer boards but using jumping or flying techniques to attain greater heights, distances, or to clear obstacles.
    * Exams to progress to the next rank
    * A focus on mental and ethical discipline, justice, etiquette, respect, and self-confidence

Some Taekwondo instructors also incorporate the use of pressure points, known as ji ap sul as well as grabbing self-defense techniques borrowed from other martial arts, such as Hapkido and Judo.

Hope this helps a little! And I would completely reccommend it as a hobby/sport, it's brilliant for flexibilty and fitness; not to mention thoroughly exciting/enjoyable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hanfromman)
    Well, Tae Kwon Do, compared to Ju Jitsu for example, is much less practicall. I think I once heard that Tae Kwon Do is one of the few martial arts that can't be used for self defence, which I understand; no grips, now throws, little technique. It's basically a series of punchs and kicks, and there's not much to it... This is basically why I'm interested in starting a new 'career' in Ju Jitsu than carrying on with Tae Kwon Do.

I guess I'm not the most experianced to talk about this, as apart from a couple of Ju Jitsu and Practical CQC classes I've got nothing to compare Tae Kwon Do to... but you get the idea.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.