The Martial Arts Society Watch

Veil of Maya
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Ivan888)
Well Im acctually a Kyokushin Karateka for almost a year now! You're right about no head shots in tournaments, but a fine kick in the face can be very deadly. Thats why you always have to keep your hands up at all times.

Our club has one of the best kyokushin standards in Africa (Im live seychelles, if you know where that is) and is acctaully No 2 in Africa. Our Shihan is Philip Moustache and has a 6th dan if im correct. :cool:

Hey ive heard that in Muay Thai, you kick banana trees to strenghten your shin...hehe..In the holidays im gonna try that!
Distinct lack of Banana trees round here unfortunately I just condition my shins by hitting the stupidly hard bags in the gym and padwork. I'm going to be going to Thailand for a year when I finish Uni, most of the gyms over there dont kick banana trees anymore either they just have bags. I think some of the more traditional camps in the poorer areas might still kick 'narna trees but i'm not too sure.

Good luck with the Kyokushin, 'tis a fine thing to be doing.
imnotapenguin
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Heylo!

Just found this thread and applied to join the soc a wee minute ago.

I do Japanese Ju-Jitsu and I absolutely love it! Going for my orange belt real soon

I'm hoping to continue it when I head off to uni in September. Most uni clubs are affiliated with The Jitsu Foundation though, which will be a new style for me. Should be interesting though!

Does anyone here practise under the TJF, or any other style of Ju-Jitsu for that matter?

If you are thinking of taking up Ju-Jitsu, I strongly recommend you go for it. If you have any questions about the art or anything, feel free to PM me and I'll help you out as best I can
Veil of Maya
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by imnotapenguin)
Heylo!

Just found this thread and applied to join the soc a wee minute ago.

I do Japanese Ju-Jitsu and I absolutely love it! Going for my orange belt real soon

I'm hoping to continue it when I head off to uni in September. Most uni clubs are affiliated with The Jitsu Foundation though, which will be a new style for me. Should be interesting though!

Does anyone here practise under the TJF, or any other style of Ju-Jitsu for that matter?

If you are thinking of taking up Ju-Jitsu, I strongly recommend you go for it. If you have any questions about the art or anything, feel free to PM me and I'll help you out as best I can
There is a post I made in another thread somewhere that gave my views on TJF. In short they are bloody aweful and a complete waste of your time.

Find a good BJJ school or some other form of traditional Jujitsu just do not join TJF. There is some good trad Jujitsu out there.
Guvnor
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
So what are your views on Akidio ?
da_nolo
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
http://video.google.com/videosearch?...n&sitesearch=#

cool vid I think.
S
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't really know much about Aikido but I thought "Angry White Pyjamas" was a very entertaining read.

I'm a bit annoyed that I have nowhere to train Muaythai when I go back home in the summer
Veil of Maya
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't have as much of an issue with Aikido as most fighters do, I think it's fine for what it is. Would I learn it for the purpose of defending myself or for fighting? No.

It's an incomplete art as it is anyway. Ueshiba fully expected his students to come from a striking background and they were usually much older than your typical beginner.

I think philosophically, spiritually (if you believe in that sort of thing), mentally etc. great.

TJF has none of these benefits. Nor does it have any of the benefits of any other type of grappling/groundfighting art (Judo, Bjj, Traditional Jujitsu). It's just completely subpar. Jujitsu's version of a Karate mcDojo.
C_B_C
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I would like to ask about the difficulty of Judo.
I've always been interested in Judo, and it's streetworthyness, but my Tae Kwon Do instructor, in spite of reccomending it, says that Judo is of great difficulty. He says that I will be hopeless at any of the throws for at least a year, but that after that I will be... well, he used the word "Unstoppable", but that's his way of being.

Anyone to confirm/deny this?
Veil of Maya
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
lol you won't be unstoppable, the best martial artists in the world arn't unstoppable.

I find Judo throws tricky (I never practised them enough to get good at them), I do however believe it to be of great worth and effectiveness. You need to practice for a long time to be good.

Youtube some of Karo Parisian's MMA fights, he's a great Judoka (of olympic level I think) and has had great success applying it in an MMA environment. He'd be a good guy to watch.
The Lyceum
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Veil of Maya)
lol you won't be unstoppable, the best martial artists in the world arn't unstoppable.

I find Judo throws tricky (I never practised them enough to get good at them), I do however believe it to be of great worth and effectiveness. You need to practice for a long time to be good.

Youtube some of Karo Parisian's MMA fights, he's a great Judoka (of olympic level I think) and has had great success applying it in an MMA environment. He'd be a good guy to watch.
I like Parisian actually, re: The Judo. I haven't done any Judo/Ju Jutsu for years yet executing the throws still feels second nature.

Ne Waza? Not so much..
Stevoo
Report 10 years ago
BJJ, Muay thai and MMA right here :cool:
The Crowing
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Anybody ever done any extreme martial arts? (XMA, the showy, useless, flippy stuff)
Veil of Maya
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
^^lol there is this guy at my gym who did something similar and is a very decent acrobat and its really weird because he lands some of the more 'useless flashy' kicks but no-one can remember ever being hit with a jab or cross he's thrown.

Then again he's weird, and if you boot him in the legs enough he cant throw them.
da_nolo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by C_B_C)
I would like to ask about the difficulty of Judo.
I've always been interested in Judo, and it's streetworthyness, but my Tae Kwon Do instructor, in spite of reccomending it, says that Judo is of great difficulty. He says that I will be hopeless at any of the throws for at least a year, but that after that I will be... well, he used the word "Unstoppable", but that's his way of being.

Anyone to confirm/deny this?
you would have to practice hard with any system or technique really. how long it would take is up to you.

Its 33 times and you'll get something down...you'll remember it I mean. muscle memory. so practice on something for 40 times a day and it will be remembered.
C_B_C
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by da_nolo)
Its 33 times and you'll get something down...you'll remember it I mean. muscle memory. so practice on something for 40 times a day and it will be remembered.
Sounds easier than I expected...
I guess I'll go for it!
da_nolo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by C_B_C)
Sounds easier than I expected...
I guess I'll go for it!
good, always nice to try things out (when dealing with martial arts that is).
WolfishSmile
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by The Crowing)
Anybody ever done any extreme martial arts? (XMA, the showy, useless, flippy stuff)
My instructor at my old WTF Tae Kwon Do club did XMA, was very impressive, but like you say was all for show. She was a 3rd dan world champion black belt so was still pretty scary.
Thrace
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Guvnor)
So what are your views on Akidio ?
After studying taekwondo for several years, last year I entered a folk high school (weird kind of Norwegian school, takes a lot of explaining :rolleyes: ) to study taekwondo and gyung dang, another Korean martial art/former military system.

Whilst I was there I started doing aikido, and I really loved it. I found that although it was quite different from anything I had done before, it complemented my other training very well. I like the way of moving, the focus on staying in and using your centre, and "going with the flow". It helped me understand better some things to do with taekwondo, and the other way round, my background and training in taekwondo helped me understand aikido better.

Also, it's nice to train a martial art where it isn't necessarily a disadvantage to be smaller and physically not as strong as your opponent
For me, the philosophy is an important part of training martial arts, so I find that aikido gives me a lot, perhaps more in some ways than taekwondo.

But of course, people have different opinions. There is no one art that does it for everyone. Me, I'm going to train some more aikido
kaisersalsek
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
it works the other way too, I know some people who have trained in aikido and have come to our tkd club and been excellent
kreation
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i do a really obscure style of tai chi called Li style which much like most yang and chen classes includes martial application, unfortunately im not graded because first grade (yellow sash) takes a two year minimum of dedicated training, im just over a year in and due to college haven't trained nearly as much as i should so gradings a while off for me.

on the upside the long grading time keeps me focused on improving overall technique as opposed to just developing the skills necessary to grade which i think is very important, as you may have guessed im not into the sport side of martial arts, especially since most martial aspects of Li style are designed to seriously injure opponents within the minimum amount of moves so its more suited to a Chinese battlefield (as my instructor always comments) as opposed to competitions.

personally i love it any other internal martial artists out there or anyone who's more of a "traditionalist".

just as a note i'm not detracting from sport based martial arts but tis my own personal preference towards more traditionally taught styles
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think the internet has made political discussion more aggressive?

Yes (34)
97.14%
No (1)
2.86%

Watched Threads