Turn on thread page Beta

The Martial Arts Society watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WolfishSmile)
    Got my red belt in ITF TKD. Was so stoked! Start at the York club next week. O_O
    do you live near drings houses in York, there's a cool judo club around there, £2.50 a session (+about that for a mixed martial arts after the judo).

Sorry for sounding ignorant but what's ITF? TKD I presume means tai kwun do (yeah yeah, I can't spell or use abriviations).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    do you live near drings houses in York, there's a cool judo club around there, £2.50 a session (+about that for a mixed martial arts after the judo).

Sorry for sounding ignorant but what's ITF? TKD I presume means tai kwun do (yeah yeah, I can't spell or use abriviations).
    Urm, gonna be living in Halifax College at the university, is that anywhere near?

And ITF is International TKD Federation different rules to WTF (World TKD Federation) TKD in sparring and the forms that they do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guvnor)
    :top: Congratulations:cool:
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    yeah I don't know York well enough to say where Halifac even is, erm, this might help:

http://www.touchlocal.com/nat/c-1253...s+Schools-York

Old Priory Judo Club 53 Green Lane, Acomb, YORK, YO24 3DJ view on map 5.13 miles 01904783283 Category: Martial Arts, Clubs & Schools in York

That one, it's got a lot of kids in but there are also two big strong lads (me being a tallish (skinny), weak scrawny bugger who couldn't throw either of them).

ReputationRep:
    Check this out, I thought I'd share it with you guys :rofl:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Wnjb8H...eature=related

ReputationRep:
    anyone do shotokan karate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guvnor)
    Check this out, I thought I'd share it with you guys :rofl:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Wnjb8H...eature=related

I'd laugh, but, I've seen some seriously bad kung fu ****:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=pM-MN_TA5vs

teachin any martial art, with stupidity, is fu*king scary.

and anyway, the video you put up is just **** to be honest, the worst kind of humor (in a bad way).

When you're going on a martial arts topic, judon't wanna mess with us:p:

(oh wait, that **** looking movie stole that line:rolleyes: )

ReputationRep:
    If I have a martial arts license, does that mean I can carry weapons.
    Such as nunchukas, or a kendo stick.

ReputationRep:
    I think it means you can teach it, but you'd need a different licence for weapons, I might be wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ocelotrevs)
    If I have a martial arts license, does that mean I can carry weapons.
    Such as nunchukas, or a kendo stick.
    Please find a copy of the 1988 Offensive Weapons Act, if you scroll down you will find a list of all the banned weapons along with a description of each. Information is copyright of the below and copied from the www.hmso.gov.uk

The Criminal Justice Act 1988 (Offensive Weapons) Order 1988

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    © Crown Copyright 1988

The legislation contained on this web site is subject to Crown Copyright protection. It may be reproduced free of charge provided that it is reproduced accurately and that the source and copyright status of the material is made evident to users.

It should be noted that the right to reproduce the text of Statutory Instruments does not extend to the Royal Arms and the Queen's Printer imprints.

The text of this Internet version of the Statutory Instrument has been prepared to reflect the text as it was Made. The authoritative version is the Queen's Printer copy published by The Stationery Office Limited as the The Criminal Justice Act 1988 (Offensive Weapons) Order 1988, ISBN 0110880196. Purchase this item. For details of how to obtain an official copy see How to obtain The Stationery Office Limited titles.
    To ensure fast access over slow connections, large documents have been segmented into "chunks". Where you see a "continue" button at the bottom of the page of text, this indicates that there is another chunk of text available.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    STATUTORY INSTRUMENTS
    1988 No. 2019
    CRIMINAL LAW, ENGLAND AND WALES CRIMINAL LAW, NORTHERN IRELAND CRIMINAL LAW, SCOTLAND
    The Criminal Justice Act 1988 (Offensive Weapons) Order 1988
    Made 17th November 1988
    Coming into force 18th January 1989

In exercise of the powers conferred upon me by section 141(2) of the Criminal Justice Act 1988[1] , a draft of this instrument having been laid before Parliament and having been approved by each House of Parliament, I hereby make the following Order:
    1. This Order may be cited as the Criminal Justice Act 1988 (Offensive Weapons) Order 1988 and shall come into force two months after the day on which it is made.
    2. The Schedule to this Order shall have effect.

Douglas Hurd
    One of Her Majesty's Principal Secretaries of State
    Home Office

17th November 1988

SCHEDULE
    Article 2

1. Section 141 of the Criminal Justice Act 1988 (offensive weapons) shall apply to the following descriptions of weapons, other than weapons of those descriptions which are antiques for the purposes of this Schedule:
    (a) a knuckleduster, that is, a band of metal or other hard material worn on one or more fingers, and designed to cause injury, and any weapon incorporating a knuckleduster;
    (b) a swordstick, that is, a hollow walking-stick or cane containing a blade which may be used as a sword;
    (c) the weapon sometimes known as a "handclaw" , being a band of metal or other hard material from which a number of sharp spikes protrude, and worn around the hand;
    (d) the weapon sometimes known as a "belt buckle knife" , being a buckle which incorporates or conceals a knife;
    (e) the weapon sometimes known as a "push dagger" , being a knife the handle of which fits within a clenched fist and the blade of which protrudes from between two fingers;

(f) the weapon sometimes known as a "hollow kubotan" , being a cylindrical container containing a number of sharp spikes;

(g) the weapon sometimes known as a "footclaw" , being a bar of metal or other hard material from which a number of sharp spikes protrude, and worn strapped to the foot;
    (h) the weapon sometimes known as a "shuriken" , "shaken" or "death star" , being a hard non-flexible plate having three or more sharp radiating points and designed to be thrown;
    (i) the weapon sometimes known as a "balisong" or "butterfly knife" , being a blade enclosed by its handle, which is designed to split down the middle, without the operation of a spring or other mechanical means, to reveal the blade;
    (j) the weapon sometimes known as a "telescopic truncheon" , being a truncheon which extends automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in or attached to its handle;
    (k) the weapon sometimes known as a "blowpipe" or "blow gun" , being a hollow tube out of which hard pellets or darts are shot by the use of breath;
    (l) the weapon sometimes known as a "kusari gama" , being a length of rope, cord, wire or chain fastened at one end to a sickle;
    (m) the weapon sometimes known as a "kyoketsu shoge" , being a length of rope, cord, wire or chain fastened at one end to a hooked knife;
    (n) the weapon sometimes known as a "manrikigusari" or "kusari" , being a length of rope, cord, wire or chain fastened at each end to a hard weight or hand grip;
    2. For the purposes of this Schedule, a weapon is an antique if it was manufactured more than 100 years before the date of any offence alleged to have been committed in respect of that weapon under subsection (1) of the said section 141 or section 50(2) or (3) of the Customs and Excise Management Act 1979[2] (improper importation).

Notes:

[2] 1979 c.

2002 Update

2. This Order extends to England, Wales and Northern Ireland only.

3. The Schedule to the Criminal Justice Act 1988 (Offensive Weapons) Order 1988[2], which specifies offensive weapons for the purposes of section 141 of the Criminal Justice Act 1988, shall be amended by the insertion into paragraph 1 of that Schedule after sub-paragraph (n) the words -
    " (o) a disguised knife, that is any knife which has a concealed blade or concealed sharp point and is designed to appear to be an everyday object of a kind commonly carried on the person or in a handbag, briefcase, or other hand luggage (such as a comb, brush, writing instrument, cigarette lighter, key, lipstick or telephone).".

John Denham
    Minister of State

Home Office
    22nd June 2002

Taken from http://www.blades-uk.com/1988ACT.php

ReputationRep:
    I do kickboxing and enter open tournaments. I've just got my fifth belt.

ReputationRep:
    Okay I've decided. Jiu-jitsu is the way forward for me I think. Gunna start it when i go to uni :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-E-N-O-V-A)
    Okay I've decided. Jiu-jitsu is the way forward for me I think. Gunna start it when i go to uni :awesome:
    what uni you at?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    what uni you at?
    I'm not at the moment, (still in U6) but Warwick if all goes to plan.

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying to ask where you'd be doing it

ReputationRep:
    Warwick has two clubs related to your interests: jitsu and kempo ju-jitsu, both of which seem pretty good. However, as a member of the muay thai (thai boxing) club, I feel obliged to promote it: it's without doubt the best martial arts club Warwick has to offer!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karatesam1990)
    anyone do shotokan karate
    Done it for the past 13 years, but have moved on to do thai boxing for the past 3 years. Big change from shotokan!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krush)
    Warwick has two clubs related to your interests: jitsu and kempo ju-jitsu, both of which seem pretty good. However, as a member of the muay thai (thai boxing) club, I feel obliged to promote it: it's without doubt the best martial arts club Warwick has to offer!
    :eek: I didn't know they would offer muay thai! Maybe I'll try that instead, what's the training like and how often do you train if you want to get good?

ReputationRep:
    :eek: I didn't know they would offer muay thai! Maybe I'll try that instead, what's the training like and how often do you train if you want to get good?
    Yep, we've got one of the best clubs in the UK. Training's great, suited for anyone may they be beginners or even profesionnal fighters. I train 2-3 times a week, the wednesday session is the so-called "advanced" session which are incredibly hard but worthwile: I've gained a lot of stamina, and power in both my kicks/punches through those sessions so if you want to get good fast I would recommend going to these even if you don't have prior martial arts experience. The other sessions are for everyone and obviously less hard but still quite demanding, all in all good fun!
    Each session is 2 hours long.

ReputationRep:
    Muay Thai is a very effective form of martial arts infact its an offensive one, where as others are defensive. I would highly recommend cross training it with either Judo/Ju-Jitsu to give you that slight edge. Both are very good and it will up your fitness, endurance and stamina by far. Its a pity I don't have much time on my hands to cross train.

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.