The Martial Arts Society Watch

ocelotrevs
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by dannicottell)
Hey, I'm nearly ready to test for my Black Belt in Kickboxing....I know not everyone classes it as a Martial Art but I thought I'd post anyway
I've heard that be said about Krav Maga as well.
Why wouldn't they be classed as Martial Arts?
Funpeddler
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hey there, Hung Ga kung fu, thai boxing and historical fencing practioner here. Didnt realise this society existed!
The Lyceum
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Funpeddler)
Hey there, Hung Ga kung fu, thai boxing and historical fencing practioner here. Didnt realise this society existed!
Elaborate good sir, what weapons/periods?
Funpeddler
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Singlestick, Backsword (16th cen), rapier and dagger but there are many options. It's interesting historically but also I find it gives good foundation for other martial arts.
There are few schools around but it's slowly coming back. Yourself?
The Lyceum
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Funpeddler)
Singlestick, Backsword (16th cen), rapier and dagger but there are many options. It's interesting historically but also I find it gives good foundation for other martial arts.
There are few schools around but it's slowly coming back. Yourself?
I say!

Do you train with the DDS then?

Mainly longsword, though I've some interest in some singlesword (primarily the kind you see in Fiore, single sword and unarmed rather than the German sword and buckler stuff) and some rapier work.

In truth I have an interest in pretty much anyweapon but those are the only ones I bout with rather regularly.
Funpeddler
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
No i did train at the Macdonald academy, cant afford to keep it going at the moment though which is a shame.
But yeh I have a general interest in weaponology and martial systems.
The Lyceum
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hoptology surely?

Haha for me that stuff is a common sense continuation of modern Fencing, i.e I liked the game and wanted to see how real weapons were really used, quite elucidating.
there's too much love
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ocelotrevs)
I've heard that be said about Krav Maga as well.
Why wouldn't they be classed as Martial Arts?
some would call them martial fitnesses. I wouldn't, I've never tried either (I only heard it about kick boxing). I was told that (not word for word, but basically this):
"we were on the mat, and watch them, as we wanted to try it, and we did as we were told, and then we went onto the mat as they wanted to see what we did, as soon as the first lock went on and someone was tapping out they looked at us horrified, they said: 'but, you hurt each other, there's no way we're stepping on the mat with you guys'."
ocelotrevs
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
First class as a yellow belt, and I felt like when I first started.
cousto
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
anyone training in the east london area
sonic23
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by dannicottell)
Hey, I'm nearly ready to test for my Black Belt in Kickboxing....I know not everyone classes it as a Martial Art but I thought I'd post anyway

I never knew kickboxing had belts?
Karatejacko
Report 9 years ago
First post on these forums I have done Shotokan Karate for almost 9 years now and should be taking my 3rd dan grading in May/August, most likely august because my exams will be over
Jonjitsu
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I did Karate for about 8 years, got 1st Dan. I've done quite a bit of judo, taekwondo and kickboxing but i'm now doing BJJ and MMA.. so yeah i've done quite a few martial arts..

From my experience BJJ is so far the best (imo). Too many rules in judo, its more of a sport than a martial art (turtle up on the ground... lol?). I admit the 360 kicks in taekwondo were fun, but the jumping punches and kicking knife disarms... i dont see that happening. Kata in karate - despite looking great (shotokan), might be useful when fighting robots.

IMO a 5 month whitebelt in BJJ could probably beat a seasoned kung fu/karate/whatever vet by a simple takedown - submission. And for those who think that a Blackbelt is hard to takedown.. go watch early ufc lol.

Some other good martial arts that i would love to try.. krav maga, sambo (leg locks!) and catch wrestling! Grappling > Striking
brokenangel
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
can anyone recommend where i can get some nunchucks
Jonjitsu
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
martial arts stores in chinatown in london sell some mean chukas
Barton1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Jonjitsu)
I did Karate for about 8 years, got 1st Dan. I've done quite a bit of judo, taekwondo and kickboxing but i'm now doing BJJ and MMA.. so yeah i've done quite a few martial arts..

From my experience BJJ is so far the best (imo). Too many rules in judo, its more of a sport than a martial art (turtle up on the ground... lol?). I admit the 360 kicks in taekwondo were fun, but the jumping punches and kicking knife disarms... i dont see that happening. Kata in karate - despite looking great (shotokan), might be useful when fighting robots.

IMO a 5 month whitebelt in BJJ could probably beat a seasoned kung fu/karate/whatever vet by a simple takedown - submission. And for those who think that a Blackbelt is hard to takedown.. go watch early ufc lol.

Some other good martial arts that i would love to try.. krav maga, sambo (leg locks!) and catch wrestling! Grappling > Striking
While im an avid supporter of all grappling arts (though mainly no gi submission wrestling), to say grappling > striking is quite silly. While early ufc events display the effective techinques in BJJ, its coming quite an occurance for some grapplers (mainly BJJ guys) having a hard time with strikers who have good Takedown D nowadays. I dont think it should be grappling > striking, as you see many grapplers who go for the takedown, cant get it and start getting jabbed like a fish out of water. Striking = Grappling

Both are as important as each other.
brokenangel
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
martial arts stores in chinatown in london sell some mean chukas
Thanks thats a bit far for me to travel tho was looking for some internet sites
Jonjitsu
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Barton1)
While im an avid supporter of all grappling arts (though mainly no gi submission wrestling), to say grappling > striking is quite silly. While early ufc events display the effective techinques in BJJ, its coming quite an occurance for some grapplers (mainly BJJ guys) having a hard time with strikers who have good Takedown D nowadays. I dont think it should be grappling > striking, as you see many grapplers who go for the takedown, cant get it and start getting jabbed like a fish out of water. Striking = Grappling

Both are as important as each other.
Takedown defence = grappling. You don't learn a sprawl in kickboxing.

The strikers you are talking about have backgrounds in grappling. Major takedown defenders like Liddell all have done wrestling and are solid groundfighters should they be taken down (which is an inevitability judging by how many top wrestlers there are now).

But my statement for grappling > striking is based on the fact that if you took a pure grappler i.e. a submission wrestler and pitted him against a pure striker i.e. Kickboxer.. the grappler is going to win. Even if they both crosstrained the likelihood is the fight will go to the ground due to the grappler's experience in taking down other trained grapplers (a lot harder than taking down someone who has learned primarily striking where no one is trying to throw you).. and when that happens, well you know..
Barton1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Takedown defence = grappling. You don't learn a sprawl in kickboxing.

The strikers you are talking about have backgrounds in grappling. Major takedown defenders like Liddell all have done wrestling and are solid groundfighters should they be taken down (which is an inevitability judging by how many top wrestlers there are now).

But my statement for grappling > striking is based on the fact that if you took a pure grappler i.e. a submission wrestler and pitted him against a pure striker i.e. Kickboxer.. the grappler is going to win. Even if they both crosstrained the likelihood is the fight will go to the ground due to the grappler's experience in taking down other trained grapplers (a lot harder than taking down someone who has learned primarily striking where no one is trying to throw you).. and when that happens, well you know..
I dont no, you see alot of BJJ guys whos takedowns mainly come from clinch, clinch up with muay thai guys which can be a big mistake. In real life circumstances, when people are in town and drinking, grappling goes out the window. In the world of MMA, grappling is more important but I think its less so in self defence ways. Now dont get me wrong, I love grappling and I do submission wrestling classes 3x a week and mma 1x a week. But if I was in a bar fight, i'd be more reluctant to be swinging for the fences rather than pulling guard or taking them down.

Grappling is certainly important but I personally believe its equally as important as striking rather than more important. Personally if I wanted real self defence IN DA STREETZ then I'd find something like boxing/muay thai to be more useful than grappling.

You may be right in the fact alot of grapplers might be able to take down people with no grappling experience down, but In real life your less reluctant to be taking people down, and in the world of MMA most strikers will still have aspects of grappling in their head.

Thats why I think grappling is as important as striking and its probably why MMA classes are becoming largely more popular as to say how they were 5 years ago.

I personally prefer rollin with people than doing some stand up sparring but you cant neglect either arts tbh, especially in todays MMA.
Guvnor
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by cousto)
anyone training in the east london area
Depends what you are looking for really, Yes I train in JJJ in the area.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (281)
27.5%
No (741)
72.5%

Watched Threads