The Martial Arts Society Watch

Alves888
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I wont lie, im unsure what 'art' I want to learn... I want to do it for self defence, you no in case I ever meet an idiot on a night out etc...
Guvnor
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Alves888)
I wont lie, im unsure what 'art' I want to learn... I want to do it for self defence, you no in case I ever meet an idiot on a night out etc...

Why are you reading this?

So you have always wanted to do Martial Arts right?

You have seen the movies with Jean Claude Van Damme, Jackie Chan, Bruce Lee and Steven Seagal.

You think to your self 'that looks cool', and put the thought on a shelf in the back of your mind.

You see an advert in a magazine about a new Martial Arts club near you, and off you trot to join.

Or do you?

I've met some people, who researched the subject of Martial Arts thoroughly before going anywhere near a club! More commonly people join a nearby club with some mates for moral support.

No two people think alike!
You say "Skateboard"; I say "broken leg".
You say "Coconut", I say "yuck".
You say "TV", I say, "Book".

This is one of the reasons for the diversity of the Martial Arts available. We are all individuals!

Before going onto the subject of 'choosing an art', I'd like to point something out!

While you may aspire to be one of the people spinning around, doing flashy techniques and looking cool, it can be very intimidating at first. You may think 'I'll never be able to do that'.

The trick to any difficulty in life is to ignore the boundaries that restrict other individuals. There is risk involved, and sometimes pain in failure, but the reward of inevitable success through persistence is the sweetest fruit of all.

When we say, "That's impossible!", we really mean;" 'I don't know if I could do that". The trouble is that we fear defeat, so we accept defeat without trying. Taking the easy way out!

Different people have different abilities!

Some people seem to be born with advantages!
We all know someone who is really strong, fast, flexible, intelligent, funny or good looking!
Something I have observed from experience though, is that the people at the forefront of Martial Arts today, are not the people with the 'natural gifts' of strength, speed, agility etc.
They are the people with an inner strength!
Something to prove, perhaps a physical or mental limitation.
Bloody-minded determination can overcome Mr or Mrs Lucky if you are persistent about it.
Learning a Martial Art is a 'War of Attrition' with yourself.
The people with 'natural gifts' tend to find things so easy, that they wander off and find something else to do that is easier still!

If someone ever says to you; "What you? Do that? You have no chance", just smile to yourself, and take steps to make them eat their words.

Choosing a Martial Art!

If you are looking at Martial Arts for the first time, you just opened the biggest box in the toy store! In fact you could spend your whole life just trying to decide what to start with!
I would personally recommend that you find a good instructor, rather than trying to choose an art.
All the arts have something to offer, if someone tells you otherwise, smile and walk away as this person has a lot to learn.

Please carry on... we are getting to the point now!

There are no bad Martial arts, only bad Instructors!

So you are now asking yourself 'how do I recognise a bad instructor?'

Most schools will let you watch a class before joining. If they don't, walk away as they may have something to hide.

When you watch the class, don't just watch the techniques, watch the Instructor! His/her eyes should be everywhere, ensuring the safety of his/her students and looking for ways of improving them!

If there is misunderstanding apparent on the face of a student, what does the Instructor do?

If there is negative emotion apparent on the face of a student, what does the Instructor do?

Do the students revere the Instructor?

Have you seen anything that would make you revere that Instructor?

Can you see yourself practicing that style, with that instructor for two to five year's minimum?

Has the club been established for a long time?

Has the instructor been involved in the arts for a long time?

You must ask questions, not just blindly accept what you read in an article or advert!

Once you have chosen your Art!

1/ Show respect and loyalty to your Instructor!

2/ Show respect and loyalty to your fellow students!

3/ Show respect and loyalty to your style!

4/ Show respect to practitioners of the other arts, as they have gone through everything that you have!

5/ Conduct yourself in a manner that others can respect!

Training in the Martial Arts, is like setting off on a journey!

As you travel to the mountain, there may be people ahead of you. You may pass some of these people on the way, and some of them may pass you. You are all going to the same place, so it is as well to be civil to each other on the journey!

Good luck on your journey, I hope that our paths cross, and we may travel together for a time!

This article was taken from another site and it is not my own work but I thought I would share it on here anyway.
slideyfoot
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Alves888)
My standard response when someone doesn't yet know what they want to train is this, which naturally reflects my own biases and interests:

First of all, I'd recommend you take a look at the FAQ (if that's broken, use this link) on finding a good martial arts school. In general, signs to look for are a competitive record, regular heavy contact sparring and 'aliveness' (if you're unfamiliar with the term, Matt Thornton has a long article on the topic describing what it is and why it's important: he is the man most associated with popularising the concept).

If your interest is mainly in striking, the safest option if you want decent training is muay thai (which you'll also see as 'thai boxing'), along with martial arts like boxing and kyokushin karate. That's not to say there aren't good schools within other striking styles, but they tend to vary widely in quality.

If you're more interested in grappling, then BJJ would be an excellent choice, as the strong competitive element and ability-based ranking system generally results in high quality training. A cheaper option is judo, which is also much easier to find - the two styles are closely related, the main difference being that judo normally focuses on throws whereas BJJ is mostly about the ground. For more on judo, read the Bullshido.com article - there is an article on BJJ too (you could also check my BJJ Beginner FAQ). SAMBO is another good choice, but even harder to find than BJJ. Then there's wrestling, which is also great training for grappling.

Alternately, you could combine grappling and striking by cross-training in several arts, or at an MMA gym (though technically 'MMA' is a ruleset rather than a specific style). Examples of well known MMA gyms would be Team Quest and Miletich Fighting Systems.

There are also several school databases you could try. For example, for BJJ:

TrainJiuJitsu.com
Gym Database (BJJ, MMA etc)
UK Club Map
Rich2cool4u
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Its a bit of a journey from where you are but I recommend London Shootfighters, it has recently moved to an amazing new gym in Park Royal, very close to Hangar lane. Its a great place, with great instructors.

www.londonshootfighters.com

Richard
slideyfoot
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Rich2cool4u)
www.londonshootfighters.com
Do you they teach BJJ there yet, or just MMA? I seem to remember hearing that at least of couple of the instructors had black belts, but wasn't sure if they ever taught in the gi.

Of course, its a very well respected club for MMA and submission wrestling, so its not like they need to teach BJJ. I only ask as then I could add it to the BJJ map.
Rich2cool4u
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
They do now teach a strictly BJJ class, thats with Gi. They have recently made changes to their program due to the fact they have moved to a bigger premises and can so hold more classes. I personally havent taken the class as I enjoy the MMA and freestyle wrestling classes more.

Richard.
slideyfoot
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
They do now teach a strictly BJJ class, thats with Gi. They have recently made changes to their program due to the fact they have moved to a bigger premises and can so hold more classes.
Cool - I'll stick that on the map, then. Do you happen to know who they got their belts from? I wasn't sure if they were with a particular organisation (e.g., Gracie Barra, Carlson Gracie, Alliance, BTT, Machado etc), but would assume so.
Rich2cool4u
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
To be honest I wouldn't like to say as I dont know the correct answer. Give them a call though, they are a friendly bunch and am sure would be more than happy to tell you!

Richard
slideyfoot
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
To be honest I wouldn't like to say as I dont know the correct answer. Give them a call though, they are a friendly bunch and am sure would be more than happy to tell you!
Heh - I'm not that bothered, I was just wondering out of interest. I think I did email Alexis years ago when I was looking for somewhere to train (I still had some vague interest in doing MMA then, which has long since fizzled out: BJJ all the way for me now), but eventually ended up at the Roger Gracie Academy.
Barton1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Slideyfoot add leicester shootfighters. It's an mma club club but 3 out of the 4 days its no-gi jujitsu. Coach is nathan leverton and very highly regarded in the east midlands particulary for mma. (coaches dan hardy, andre winner, jimmy wallhead etc)

Anyone from leicester, i strongly reccomend going here, especially considering there is no other high calibre mma/no gi clubs in leicester
slideyfoot
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Barton1)
Slideyfoot add leicester shootfighters. It's an mma club club but 3 out of the 4 days its no-gi jujitsu.
I know of Leicester Shoot, I've spoken to Levo on the internet before, and I very much respect what he's written and done in the past. Seems like an excellent instructor: I always tell people in Leicester to check him out if they want to learn how to grapple.

However, the map is purely for BJJ clubs, not nogi or MMA. In other words, places that give out rank in BJJ: as far as I'm aware, Leicester Shoot doesn't do that. Or have things changed since I last checked?
Rich2cool4u
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I know I have asked this here before but it was some time ago. Does anybody else here train at London Shootfighters?

Richard
ocelotrevs
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Did anyone else go to the Jiu Jitsu nationals this weekend?
RamocitoMorales
Badges: 21
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ocelotrevs)
Did anyone else go to the Jiu Jitsu nationals this weekend?
No.
YL_LDN
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Krav Maga. It's the best for the street fight situation and to the death fights, you can never be too safe these days. I've done a lot of martial arts (brown belt in Karate and i also do MMA) and needless to say these improved my striking skills to prepare me for krav maga massively.
Guvnor
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by YL_LDN)
Krav Maga. It's the best for the street fight situation and to the death fights, you can never be too safe these days. I've done a lot of martial arts (brown belt in Karate and MMA) and needless to say these improved my striking skills to prepare me for krav maga massively.
No doubt its a great art, but they are a lot of fakes out there claiming that they are something when they are clearly not. The problem with Krav Maga is that it can be quite expensive and they want you to pay for 10 lessons up front, where abouts do you train and for how long have you been training ?

P.s I didn't know that mma had a belt system as well ?
YL_LDN
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Guvnor)
No doubt its a great art, but they are a lot of fakes out there claiming that they are something when they are clearly not. The problem with Krav Maga is that it can be quite expensive and they want you to pay for 10 lessons up front, where abouts do you train and for how long have you been training ?

grammatical error.
RamocitoMorales
Badges: 21
Report 9 years ago
It doesn't.
YL_LDN
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

I have one on one training from an instructor in Spartans Newcastle.
Guvnor
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by RamocitoMorales)
It doesn't.
Thought as much.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (144)
18.44%
No (475)
60.82%
Not really bothered about them (162)
20.74%

Watched Threads