The Martial Arts Society Watch

basketofsnakes
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
why does everyone here do mickey mouse mcdojo crap, it's useless lmao

if you want to be able to fight then go train boxing, muay thai, bjj, wrestling etc
Xurvi
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by basketofsnakes)
why does everyone here do mickey mouse mcdojo crap, it's useless lmao

if you want to be able to fight then go train boxing, muay thai, bjj, wrestling etc
What part of "Martial arts" do you not understand? Did it occur to you people might not be learning these to get into fights?
Either way, the bit in italic just shows your ignorance of how efficient these "mickey mouse mcdojo crap" can be…
basketofsnakes
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Xurvi)
What part of "Martial arts" do you not understand? Did it occur to you people might not be learning these to get into fights?
Either way, the bit in italic just shows your ignorance of how efficient these "mickey mouse mcdojo crap" can be…
pretty sure martial arts were made to help you defend yourself

brb doing katas in my taekwondo class and thinking it will help me in real life
brb getting my black belt after 6 months
brb not even doing hard sparring

LOL
PurplePunk
Report 8 years ago
And now I'm sorry I said anything.
RamocitoMorales
Badges: 21
Report 8 years ago
Those Martial Arts are designed for Cage Fighting, as opposed to self defense on the street.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they're not useful for self defense, because they are. But real fighting is very different to cage fighting. A real fight is usually over after one good punch. Whereas cage fighting is more about stamina.
Guvnor
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by RamocitoMorales)
Those Martial Arts are designed for Cage Fighting, as opposed to self defense on the street.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they're not useful for self defense, because they are. But real fighting is very different to cage fighting. A real fight is usually over after one good punch. Whereas cage fighting is more about stamina.
Agreed.

Plus most real fights will not last more then 2 mins.

:yy:
basketofsnakes
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

ok firstly it's not called "cage fighting", it's called Mixed Martial Arts

secondly, none of them were designed for "cage fighting", they were around long before "cage fighting" was even invented, they were designed for self defence, it just so happens that they are the most effective styles in mma, which itself was designed to see which the most effective martial art style was. Only a complete ******* idiot would believe that for example a thai clinch + knee to the face or an armbar hyperextending the elbow is innefective on the street.

a thai boxer, boxer, wrestler or mma fighter would destroy 99% of these ******s doing this mcdojo crap in a real life fight, Your opinion is invalid.
RamocitoMorales
Report 8 years ago
secondly, none of them were designed for "cage fighting", they were around long before "cage fighting" was even invented.
Some of these martial arts, such as Muay Thai, were around a long time before modern cage fighting, you're right. But you forget that martial arts evolve. Muay Thai is now a sport. A competitive arena based sport like Boxing. There are rules in Muay Thai fights, but there are no rules in real life. If someone grabs you from behind and starts choking you, or grapples you to the floor, what are you going to do? And before you answer, I already know what you're going to say. You're going to go out of your way to learn Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, so you can add some ground work to your game. Because both of these Martial Arts are incomplete.

Just so you know, 'cage fighting', if we refer to the term as competitive fighting, has been around since the dawn of civilization.

See this, fighting with gloves:

Spoiler:
Show

That's a 7,000 year old tablet. :wink2:

they were designed for self defence, it just so happens that they are the most effective styles in mma, which itself was designed to see which the most effective martial art style was.
All MMA shows are which martial arts are the most effective for 'cage fighting', not for self defence. There is no way in hell that fighting someone in a ring is a modern day self defence situation. Even you should know that.

And regarding BJJ, you never, ever want to go down to the ground in a street fight. Because most attacks are made by at least two people.

Only a complete ******* idiot would believe that for example a thai clinch + knee to the face or an armbar hyperextending the elbow is innefective on the street.
I never said it wasn't effective. But the two moves you've described will probably be enough to deal with an attacker.

Just remember, a street fight (if there are no weapons, outside parties, or elements of surprise involved) is usually a hell of a lot easier than a cage fight. Because the chance are that the person attacking you hasn't been working out, conditioning, had years of experience in martial arts, etc.

If someone were to throw a wild punch at you, and you successfully evade it....BANG! Game over for them.

a thai boxer, boxer, wrestler or mma fighter would destroy 99% of these ******s doing this mcdojo crap in a real life fight, Your opinion is invalid.
I agree with you.

And do you know why I agree with you? Because Wrestlers and Boxers work out and condition themselves. They're human monsters. They would beat other martial artists in a fight due to their fitness, if nothing else, and most martial artists acknowledge this.
Xurvi
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
And do you know why I agree with you? Because Wrestlers and Boxers work out and condition themselves. They're human monsters. They would beat other martial artists in a fight due to their fitness, if nothing else, and most martial artists acknowledge this.
Are you actually saying that other martial arts don't include work out and conditioning? Don't you think it's quite illogical? How would these hundreds years old arts would have survived then? I'm also really interested by how you get your info that "most martial artists acknoledge this"; in my experience, most on the contrary think these martial arts are incomplete...
I see a lot of ignorance in this thread to be honest :/
Guvnor
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by RamocitoMorales

And do you know why I agree with you? Because Wrestlers and Boxers work out and condition themselves. They're human monsters. [B
)

They would beat other martial artists in a fight due to their fitness, if nothing else, and most martial artists acknowledge this[/B].

That is nonsense, can you name me a few martial arts that acknowledge this ?

A real martial artist has respect for another's art
Guvnor
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
ok firstly it's not called "cage fighting", it's called Mixed Martial Arts

secondly, none of them were designed for "cage fighting", they were around long before "cage fighting" was even invented, they were designed for self defence, it just so happens that they are the most effective styles in mma, which itself was designed to see which the most effective martial art style was. Only a complete ******* idiot would believe that for example a thai clinch + knee to the face or an armbar hyperextending the elbow is innefective on the street.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but MMA is good and effective but only in the ring/cage/mats its ******* useless on the street the reason being in a fight the last place you want to be on is the floor.

I must say its excellent for conditioning and I'm not ruling it, but to solely rely on it would be stupid.
Guvnor
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Xurvi)
Are you actually saying that other martial arts don't include work out and conditioning? Don't you think it's quite illogical? How would these hundreds years old arts would have survived then? I'm also really interested by how you get your info that "most martial artists acknoledge this"; in my experience, most on the contrary think these martial arts are incomplete...
I see a lot of ignorance in this thread to be honest :/

I agree, for a better detailed discussion on martial arts, I think some of these folks should check out 'Martial Arts Planet' a no nonsense martial art forum.
RamocitoMorales
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Guvnor)
I agree, for a better detailed discussion on martial arts, I think some of these folks should check out 'Martial Arts Planet' a no nonsense martial art forum.
I got a permanent ban from that forum.
Guvnor
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I got a permanent ban from that forum.

Trolling ?

It is usually the case tbh for someone to get banned from M.A.P, I find it a top notch forum and down to earth advise, none of this wishy washy stuff.
RamocitoMorales
Report 8 years ago
Trolling ?
Apparently. But it was such a long time ago, I can barely remember.
hollowpoint
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Sorry to burst your bubble, but MMA is good and effective but only in the ring/cage/mats its ******* useless on the street the reason being in a fight the last place you want to be on is the floor.
MMA is highly effective in a self defence situation since it incorporates boxing, kickboxing, the clinch, wrestling etc.. Whats to say the fight would end up on the floor? Let me remind you that striking is a huge part of MMA however combined with the clinch and takedown defence the fight is not going to the ground.

The majority of MMA/BJJ practitioners are educated enough to realize that taking an assailant to the ground when they are with a large group is not the smartest idea.

I must say its excellent for conditioning and I'm not ruling it, but to solely rely on it would be stupid.
Since the majority of street fights last several minutes if that, conditioning would most probably not be the deciding factor as good technique gained from sparring would be the decider. Since sparring is the closest safe training to an actual self defence situation it gives invaluable technique as well as super conditioning.

Although MMA is highly effective, a firearm would be optimal.
RamocitoMorales
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by hollowpoint)
Since the majority of street fights last several minutes if that, conditioning would most probably not be the deciding factor as good technique gained from sparring would be the decider.
Do you realise how fit you have to be to last even 1 or 2 minutes of fighting? :lolwut:
hollowpoint
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Do you realise how fit you have to be to last even 1 or 2 minutes of fighting? :lolwut:
Most people training MMA, Boxing, Muay Thai regularly will find that fairly easy. The majority of street fights end well under a minute when on person unloads on the other ending it even before stamina becomes an issue. You don't need to be really fit to move away from wide hooks and throw a simple effective combination.
Guvnor
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by hollowpoint)
MMA is highly effective in a self defence situation since it incorporates boxing, kickboxing, the clinch, wrestling etc.. Whats to say the fight would end up on the floor? Let me remind you that striking is a huge part of MMA however combined with the clinch and takedown defence the fight is not going to the ground.

Since the majority of street fights last several minutes if that, conditioning would most probably not be the deciding factor as good technique gained from sparring would be the decider. Since sparring is the closest safe training to an actual self defence situation it gives invaluable technique as well as super conditioning.

I never said it was useless but what I said is that solely relying on your MMA training is foolish and thats what makes it ineffective. Yes it does incorporate a lot of things no doubt and I have trained in MMA myself so I am aware of what it consists off and there are some tough *******s in there but to solely rely on your MMA training is foolish.

Many guys will often freeze in a real life situation when outside their cage/dojo etc no matter what art you train in

With any martial art, its training yourself to deal with the unexpected and how you deal with them depends on the way you act in them situations and that usually comes down to your training, how hard and committed you were.
hollowpoint
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I never said it was useless but what I said is that solely relying on your MMA training is foolish and thats what makes it ineffective.
You did not say it was useless, you said it was:

its ******* useless on the street the reason being in a fight the last place you want to be on is the floor.

Relying on MMA training is ineffective?
Since carrying a gun/knife is illegal were I live and as MMA encompasses striking,grappling as well as both strength and conditioning training. Lets not forget the huge emphasis to constantly work to improve your position whether it be getting out of guard, not getting backed into a corner or knowing when to get the hell out.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (71)
30.21%
No - I got the required grades (133)
56.6%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (31)
13.19%

Watched Threads