The Student Room Group

The Martial Arts Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RobertWhite
4th dan already!? How long have you been doing it for? :eek:

And, I'm sure you can get the belts at university pretty quickly for tae kwon do if you're that good?

I started when I was 6, got my third dan at 14, then have to wait till 21... Hugh gap! So i went on to train in MMA, that turned too technical for my liking so I now just help out with younger students.

It's not quickly, I've got to re-gain all my knowledge from when I first started and train hard to achieve what I want :smile:
Original post by Amy Atmore
I started when I was 6, got my third dan at 14, then have to wait till 21... Hugh gap! So i went on to train in MMA, that turned too technical for my liking so I now just help out with younger students.

It's not quickly, I've got to re-gain all my knowledge from when I first started and train hard to achieve what I want :smile:

What uni are you going to?
Original post by Dr. Bassman
What uni are you going to?

Sheffield Hallam
Sheffield Hallam

I know a guy there called Adam. He's skinny, ginger and goofy looking. If you see him, spin kick him in the dick for me.
I'm sure there are plenty of ginger guys around..
I'm sure there are plenty of ginger guys around..

Well then you might have to get every single one of them.
I think I will leave you to deal with that haha :smile:
Personally, I only feel really threatened if the person has a weapon or there's more than one of them. If it's just one on one I'm going to clinch up, get them down as quickly and (preferably) safely as possible and then choke them unconscious.

You do realise if someone does have a weapon, the most stupid thing you can try and do is go and clinch up :tongue:
Great, good for you. Just don't expect the law to care very much for that. Simple fact is that you shouldn't try to seriously harm your attacker unless you're seriously threatened because you could end up doing real damage and get in trouble.

Original post by Einheri
Better that than potentially being killed. If someone is attacking me I have to assume the worst intentions, that is the intention to kill me, on their part simply for my own safety. I don't think it's a victim's responsibility to protect their attacker.

Proabably the best thing that could happen is einheri trying out his flying origami skullcracker throw on some drunk who could have otherwise been subdued culminating in an attempted murder charge. He'll proabbly standup in court explaining the virtues of deadly arts of judo and wwe wrestling and then get an extra 3 years in the bighouse for using learnt training for purpose of intentional wounding.

Then he can truely prove his grapple wrestling theories amoungst the shankers and rudeboys in Parkhurst :smile: I dont see that going well...
Original post by Indo-Chinese Food
You do realise if someone does have a weapon, the most stupid thing you can try and do is go and clinch up :tongue:

Yeah man, that's why I said if it's one on one without weapons I'd clinch.
Yeah man, that's why I said if it's one on one without weapons I'd clinch.

my bad, i mis-read your post. I wont go into the lengthy discussion of wasting energy grappling over other options though :redface:
Original post by Indo-Chinese Food
Then he can truely prove his grapple wrestling theories amoungst the shankers and rudeboys in Parkhurst :smile: I dont see that going well...

BJJ > Prison Rape. :biggrin:
I love the "clinching with a weapon is stupid" ideology, despite...you know...the vast majority of treatises from the Renaissance dealing with weapons in a series of languages (everything from Italian to Sanskrit) in order to disarm better. Grappling is a pretty useful tool. But what did they know, those people, who lived and died by these things. Let's do Wing Chun or some **** instead, am I right?

Friends don't let friends Chun. Go do BJJ or MT kids.
Original post by The Lyceum
I love the "clinching with a weapon is stupid" ideology, despite...you know...the vast majority of treatises from the Renaissance dealing with weapons in a series of languages (everything from Italian to Sanskrit) in order to disarm better. Grappling is a pretty useful tool. But what did they know, those people, who lived and died by these things. Let's do Wing Chun or some **** instead, am I right?

Friends don't let friends Chun. Go do BJJ or MT kids.

Indo-Chinese Food doesn't take evidence from the Middle Ages. I posted images from Medieval Fechtbücher and other armed fighting and grappling manuals and he dismissed them.
Original post by Einheri
Indo-Chinese Food doesn't take evidence from the Middle Ages. I posted images from Medieval Fechtbücher and other armed fighting and grappling manuals and he dismissed them.

I always assume he is a chinese takeaway menu.

I'm way too high for this **** right now.
I always assume he is a chinese takeaway menu.

I'm way too high for this **** right now.

Training 10th Planet, brah? :biggrin:
Original post by Einheri

Ah people in general don't seem to, but if you give them a book done by a Japanese guy twenty years ago its usually all fine and dandy eh?

In fairness I also think a lot of the stuff in the fechtbucher (diacritics!?! you either have a Mac or are a typing wizard) is a bit ****ty by modern standards (grappling much more developed, especially ground fighting; people no longer wielding gigantic knives with specifically circular handles just to make stabbing you more efficient etc) but I tend to think, except where work on body mechanics disagree, these people clearly knew what they were talking about.

I'm surprised and gratified to see somebody else on here who works with this kind of stuff as well as MMA etc. Too long have swords in the western world been associated with nerdy DnD dickheads rather than awesome alive training and full contact sparring. :p:D
Original post by The Lyceum
Ah people in general don't seem to, but if you give them a book done by a Japanese guy twenty years ago its usually all fine and dandy eh?

In fairness I also think a lot of the stuff in the fechtbucher (diacritics!?! you either have a Mac or are a typing wizard) is a bit ****ty by modern standards (grappling much more developed, especially ground fighting; people no longer wielding gigantic knives with specifically circular handles just to make stabbing you more efficient etc) but I tend to think, except where work on body mechanics disagree, these people clearly knew what they were talking about.

I'm surprised and gratified to see somebody else on here who works with this kind of stuff as well as MMA etc. Too long have swords in the western world been associated with nerdy DnD dickheads rather than awesome alive training and full contact sparring. :p:D

Haha, yeah, especially if it has a name like "The Mysteries of Monkey-Dragon-style Tai Jukwondo-Karate-fist".

Nope; I have an Icelandic laptop. :biggrin:

Yup, I train with spatha-type swords (specifically the late, Viking Age forms - not the classical Roman), seaxes and axes. Generally either with a a full size shield or without a shield, although I'd be interested in training with a buckler and small, parrying shields (buklari in Old Norse) do seem to have been used to some extent in the period (specifically the Viking Age, but also the Vendel Period, the Anglo-Saxon Period and the "Völkerwanderung" generally). I train for about four hours a week on top of my 8 hours of BJJ and four of Judo (I have a lot of free time, haha). I've also found grappling, especially subtle Judo trips like De Ashi Harai, Sasae Tsuri Komi Ashi, and Ko Soto Gari/Gake incredibly useful.

I take it you're a swordsman yourself?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Einheri
BJJ > Prison Rape. :biggrin:

or BJ in your case

dont neg me einheri, that may save your ass in parkhurst one day...
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Einheri
Yup, I train with spatha-type swords (specifically the late, Viking Age forms - not the classical Roman), seaxes and axes. Generally either with a a full size shield or without a shield, although I'd be interested in training with a buckler and small, parrying shields (buklari in Old Norse) do seem to have been used to some extent in the period (specifically the Viking Age, but also the Vendel Period, the Anglo-Saxon Period and the "Völkerwanderung" generally). I train for about four hours a week on top of my 8 hours of BJJ and four of Judo (I have a lot of free time, haha). I've also found grappling, especially subtle Judo trips like De Ashi Harai, Sasae Tsuri Komi Ashi, and Ko Soto Gari/Gake incredibly useful.

I take it you're a swordsman yourself?

Ah interesting, so I'm guessing there's a heavy element of academia in what you do then due to lack of sources? You don't seem the kind of guy to flail around like a re-enactor, especially if you train BJJ etc.

I haven't looked a look at that period, I have notes from somewhere trying to apply general body mechanics extrapolated from traditions that use similarish weapons but it was sort of a dead end in my case, out of the large groups I know Hammaborg has done quite a bit with this period.

Yeah I guess I'm a swordsman but I'm somewhat more generalised in that I also (sport) Fence to a varsity competition level (well did until recently) in sabre and foil besides that I've had a lot of experience with traditional north western Indian styles, the Filipino stuff and, as far as European stuff is concerned, for quite a few years now I've been training in the early Italian stuff as a main focus (from Fiore dei Liberi to Filippo Vadi) but I also like to play with some of the Bolognesi school, Manciolino etc with the spada di filo and the partisana and rotella etc.

I love weapons. I just love fighting so much I have a serious problem. :s-smilie: But with swords its something else isn't it? especially when its so fast and furious but controlled at the same time.

Quick Reply

Latest