Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BillyBongos)
    why do you think I said it? you've only interpreted what I've said towards one particular point of view, yet there are many ways to view what I posted. Try a more balanced approach
    Let's not kid ourselves I am biased as hell, and so are you. You came into this thread the "Martial Arts Society" and tried to bash martial arts, now I am no Sherlock Holmes but I think you have an agenda.

You didn't make a objective retort to my imitation of your argument, you instead chose to babble in an obscure fashion about views and balanced opinions. Nothing of value in reality, maybe you are trying to become the riddler or something. I can't pretend to know your intention; but make a point because so far you haven't made a valid one.

Worst of all you made me agree with Indo-Chinese Food, who cares who studies what martial art on what night on what time on whatever, it's irrelevant. People die every day of many different reasons' life is too short to care what hobby a guy or girl does on a Wednesday night.

You stated,
    If we were all peaceful
    come on, humans peaceful are you really going to say humans are peaceful. Do you want me to debunk this, is it worth my time citing examples, and your time reading it. Ofcourse not Humans have fought since forever.

You went on to say,
    then martial arts really isn't necessary
    you second mistake, of many might I add, you assumed martial arts are all about street fighting and self defense, total nonsense. There are many benefits: fitness, confidence, competition, discipline etc. people do this stuff for different reasons.

and we could spend our time in more meaningful pursuits.
    Now who are you to define meaningful pursuit I will await your credentials. If you are in fact the oracle of all knowledge you can surely convince us easily. If you're not then you are just another narrow minded know it all.

and I have stopped doing martial arts as there are more important things out there to study.
    Fantastic. I hope whatever you do instead of martial arts is useful to you, that doesn't give you the right to be a snob.

I hope this post will enlighten you, no one knows anything, peoples hobbies are none of your concern, don't be some judgmental.

In reality you will probably come back try to argue, waste your time (and mine), contribute nothing. Here's some advice don't do something constructive instead. Continuing to argue for arguments sake is really dumb, it's so medieval.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BillyBongos)
    you sound very aggressive, it may be advisable to go outside for a while and take some lessons in Tai Chi, yoga or meditation. I assure you that it will do you the world of good. It may help your grammar too
    Has this post got a point, we are in the "The Martial Arts Society" thread, you can try to defame me all you want but at the end of the day we're just anonymous people on the internet, I don't really care.

Now are you going to post a point relevant to martial arts? and if so what is it?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I do Freestyle Kung Fu and Kickboxing. It was and still is a BIG change for me, as I used to do ballet, tap dancing, jazz dancing, modern dancing, hip-hop dancing and cheerleading as well as speech, drama and singing classes. But now I have found my inner ninja! I am new to this site so...I kinda need some friends!

Martial Arts FTW!

Sophie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophieleannexo)
    Hey, I do Freestyle Kung Fu and Kickboxing. It was and still is a BIG change for me, as I used to do ballet, tap dancing, jazz dancing, modern dancing, hip-hop dancing and cheerleading as well as speech, drama and singing classes. But now I have found my inner ninja! I am new to this site so...I kinda need some friends!

Martial Arts FTW!

Sophie.
    What style of kickboxing do you do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Bassman)
    What style of kickboxing do you do?
    Just normal kickboxing. I'm gonna start up boxing training too I forgot to add that! (:

ReputationRep:
    Just normal kickboxing. I'm gonna start up boxing training too I forgot to add that! (:
    Boxing is cool but don't get into the habit of ducking so much when you go back to kickboxing. You'll get kicked in the head a lot, seriously

ReputationRep:
    Boxing is cool but don't get into the habit of ducking so much when you go back to kickboxing. You'll get kicked in the head a lot, seriously
    Haha ok! What kind of martial arts do you do?

ReputationRep:
    Haha ok! What kind of martial arts do you do?
    Kickboxing, but a more eastern style, so lots of leg kicks, sweeps, some clinching, some knees, a tiny bit of grappling in that too. Also I do some boxing, have done some muay thai. I also did do judo but I had to stop because of my hip, I do Brazilian Jiu Jitsu too

Mostly though it's just kickboxing. I've got pretty decent grappling but right now I'm only competing in kickboxing and mostly just train in that. The judo is ridiculously useful for it though. I've gained really good balance and ability to take people off balance so I like to catch kicks a lot and then put people on their butts. I don't know if that's allowed in your style of kickboxing but you should give it a go next time someone tries a push kick or a roundhouse kick trap their leg with your arm against your body and then just sweep their foot off the mat and they'll flop to the ground. It looks good, makes a lot of noise and scores big points.

ReputationRep:
    Kickboxing, but a more eastern style, so lots of leg kicks, sweeps, some clinching, some knees, a tiny bit of grappling in that too. Also I do some boxing, have done some muay thai. I also did do judo but I had to stop because of my hip, I do Brazilian Jiu Jitsu too

Mostly though it's just kickboxing. I've got pretty decent grappling but right now I'm only competing in kickboxing and mostly just train in that. The judo is ridiculously useful for it though. I've gained really good balance and ability to take people off balance so I like to catch kicks a lot and then put people on their butts. I don't know if that's allowed in your style of kickboxing but you should give it a go next time someone tries a push kick or a roundhouse kick trap their leg with your arm against your body and then just sweep their foot off the mat and they'll flop to the ground. It looks good, makes a lot of noise and scores big points.
    Lol! We practice sparring drills, I've just recently got into sparring and it is fair to say for a 4'8 girl like me, it is pretty scary! I looked up my kickboxing and it is traditional Western style. We do a lot of sparring drills and sparring. As for my kung fu I have been doing it for nearly two years, we do a lot of stuff in that, like knife training, weapon training - like using bo staffs, escrima sticks and kamas, we do hand and feet attacks and defences and all tje traditional side like horse riding stance! I absolutely adore the traditional side and hand and feet attacks and defences. I am getting used to the other weapon based side cause it isn't my forte. I have competed in sports swords and came sixth semi-regionally and in forms which is kinda like dance and came third! So yeah I do enjoy it and can't wait to get my black belt!

ReputationRep:
    Lol! We practice sparring drills, I've just recently got into sparring and it is fair to say for a 4'8 girl like me, it is pretty scary! I looked up my kickboxing and it is traditional Western style. We do a lot of sparring drills and sparring. As for my kung fu I have been doing it for nearly two years, we do a lot of stuff in that, like knife training, weapon training - like using bo staffs, escrima sticks and kamas, we do hand and feet attacks and defences and all tje traditional side like horse riding stance! I absolutely adore the traditional side and hand and feet attacks and defences. I am getting used to the other weapon based side cause it isn't my forte. I have competed in sports swords and came sixth semi-regionally and in forms which is kinda like dance and came third! So yeah I do enjoy it and can't wait to get my black belt!
    Most people will go easy on you if you're a tiny girl though. I'm just big enough for big heavyweights not to care about my well-being so I regularly get beaten up haha. Mostly my fault though, my defence is shockingly bad. I got headkicked but my heavyweight coach the other day, the worst thing is that he told me he was going to headkick me aha

ReputationRep:
    Most people will go easy on you if you're a tiny girl though. I'm just big enough for big heavyweights not to care about my well-being so I regularly get beaten up haha. Mostly my fault though, my defence is shockingly bad. I got headkicked but my heavyweight coach the other day, the worst thing is that he told me he was going to headkick me aha
    Yeah I'm pretty small, but as my instructor always says "no-one will go easy on you in the real world, when you are off the mat!" which is true. First time I sparred I got punched full pelt in the nose, decided to go back in and got a side kick in the side then a side kick in the abdomen, as I was walking off the area where we were sparring I got winded twice by one of the 6.5 foot lads! Ouch was an understatement to my reaction at that point!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'm pretty small, but as my instructor always says "no-one will go easy on you in the real world, when you are off the mat!" which is true. First time I sparred I got punched full pelt in the nose, decided to go back in and got a side kick in the side then a side kick in the abdomen, as I was walking off the area where we were sparring I got winded twice by one of the 6.5 foot lads! Ouch was an understatement to my reaction at that point!
    That is some rough story loool, but yeah i guess it would build up yur confidence for the real world, in a real life situation its all about staying calm.. if you can do that and you know how and where to hit, yul be fine most of the time lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Z-Ninja)
    That is some rough story loool, but yeah i guess it would build up yur confidence for the real world, in a real life situation its all about staying calm.. if you can do that and you know how and where to hit, yul be fine most of the time lol
    Yeah! I suppose so! (: thats what we are trained for, right?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah! I suppose so! (: thats what we are trained for, right?
    Pretty much lol, but the chance that we actually need to use that is very rare.. The best teaching of martial arts is to avoid using it .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Z-Ninja)
    Pretty much lol, but the chance that we actually need to use that is very rare.. The best teaching of martial arts is to avoid using it .
    I suppose so (:

ReputationRep:
    Just found out I'm grading soon up to 6th kyu meaning I will be half way to black! Just thought I would share (:

ReputationRep:
    hello. I've only just joined this forum recently and have just found this post. I don't have it in me to go through 80 pages of posts to find out, so does any one else here do Savate?
    Have any of you even heard of Savate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cat herder)
    hello. I've only just joined this forum recently and have just found this post. I don't have it in me to go through 80 pages of posts to find out, so does any one else here do Savate?
    Yeah, I know a girl who did it. That's all I have to say about it really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cat herder)
    Some French thing, isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    Some French thing, isn't it?
    Gerard Gordeau does Savate (he fought Royce (and bit his ear) in UFC 1, and gouged out Yuki Nakai's eye in 1995 Japan Vale Tudo - very dirty fighter). It's a kind of kickboxing with shoes.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.