Do you think old friends still remember you?

Watch
Miracle Day
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
So I'll share my experience with you, maybe you can share yours.

Year 10 and 11 was filled with amazing memories with my best friend O and my new best friend Lloyd. We all went through so much together but this thread is about L. Despite knowing O all my life, me and L were such good friends, so simular. Through those two years we became 'best friends'. We'd planned to go to Uni together, to rent a house together etc. We'd always be taliing.. proper bromance.

But then after starting Year 12 last September it fell apart. He became close with his old friends and I guess I got jealous. We had a petty argument and never spoke for three months (painful). Then a day before New years I appologised and wished him a happy new year. We spoke for a while, he told me how he'd recently reread our old Skype chats etc.

But now, on his Facebook he talks about how he's never been happier eith his new friends (he told this to me!) and in sschool he won't even achnowledge me. I try to remember him for the good times, but he's changed so much since Sixth form

How much do memories of old friends mean to you etc?
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Do I think my old friends remember me? Yes.
Do I think my old friends could give a rat's arse about me? No
Do I care? Erm....for some friends no I couldn't care less. For others that I was very close to, yeh it probably wounds me ever so slightly, but nowt can be done about it, so que sera sera. S'part of life unfortunately.
Miracle Day
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
Do I think my old friends remember me? Yes.
Do I think my old friends could give a rat's arse about me? No
Do I care? Erm....for some friends no I couldn't care less. For others that I was very close to, yeh it probably wounds me ever so slightly, but nowt can be done about it, so que sera sera. S'part of life unfortunately.
Awh :s
alexlduffy
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I think they remember you, but they don't think about you a lot or dwell on it much. Occasionally, if they see you, a few thoughts might come back, but nothing massive.

I have one friend who I've known since I was about 7. We had our fair share of arguments but we were generally very close. However, I haven't seen him for nearly three years. No phone calls, no texts. I don't think any of my mates have seen him either. I think he's perfectly safe, I just still occasionally wonder what he's up to. If I could guess, I'd say he's moved away somewhere else with his family and he's currently training to be a builder because that's the job he's always wanted to do and he was good with that kind of stuff.
FranticMind
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I was thinking a similar thing the other day! I always wonder whether people look at my facebook to see what I'm doing, I look at people who I used to know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UVNT4wvIGY
Mr Dangermouse
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yes but I doubt they give a **** about me.
ROYP
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
MD you post some heartfelt threads man.

Sometimes when I'm bored I look up people I used to know. Occasionally I get an add from someone I haven't seen in years and it's pretty freaky.
x-pixie-lottie-x
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
id like to think so....

i think if i still think of them occasionally surely they'd still think of me too...
*shrugs*
i like to think my brain doesnt work tooo differently to other peoples... lol
x
ironandwine
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
nope.
DotComBoom
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'd like to think that my old friends from Primary School still think about me, but it is most probably exactly like my process of how I think of them now. If they come up on my Facebook news feed then I will briefly remember them and then as quickly move onto another thought.
mel_1991
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Interesting question and something I was thinking about recently. I did drift from a friend but we've started speaking more and more again.

I don't think people over think it as much as I do personally because I'm a little bit of the sensitive sort and I think about old memories/funny times often. I have no idea if they do, I guess on occasion if someone brings up secondary school in a conversation, they might remember my name or my face which is funny. I'd like to hope they remembered my nice points.
Strange that, especially if they wonder what I'm doing too. It's quite an odd thought and it's something I'd like to know.

I still talk to my friend from Primary to Year Seven (when I moved) a few times a month. We're both 20 now and we still get on. Occasionally say hello to others from primary as a lot of them where friends of the families/the neighbours kids.

Friends from Year Eight through to Year Eleven are a different matter. Two I drifted from, one unfortunately passed away, one is married with a baby (still run into her every now and then) and one is pregnant so I talk to barely any of them unless I run into them when I'm home from Uni and even then it's just a hi how have you been thing.

Still friends with everyone from college and meet up when we're home.

Quite sad how people drift but in a way I guess it's part of life.

Sorry for the spiel :P
M4LLY
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
If had to choose between a lottery win and the memories of old friends, i'd take the memories. My longest friendships with a guy 2 months younger than me called Peter. We've had so many good times together and i wouldn't trade the memories for anything. Even though we rarely see each other now and we have different friendship groups in 6th form we still talk a lot when we do see each other.
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
My closest friends atm are also my oldest friends so I should hope so. Out of the 3 I'm closest to two I've been friends with all my life, and one since I was 4, and I've seen them all the in the last couple of months.
Thomas2
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I think unless you suffer a memory lapse you will always remember old friends. However just as sometimes you can meet someone and just instantly click with them whereas with others it takes a while to get to know them and establish a rapport, equally there will be some old friends you can meet with later and it's as if you were never apart whereas with others you have both moved on...
Clez
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I don't doubt my old friends remember me but I can't imagine any of them think about me or what I'm up to as much as I do them. I had a tight bunch of friends for 5 years through school but because of various things I fell out with/drifted apart from most of them at the start of sixth form and ended up forming new groups of friends in upper sixth/uni. None of them contacted me whilst at uni even though they all visited each other which got me pretty depressed. Now as much as Id like to, I doubt we'd ever all meet up again and even if that happened I doubt we'd stay in contact after we all leave our hometown. Plus another part of me thinks "ah well I have friends here and there who do contact me so ahh well, **** you old buddies"
Annie72
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Ermmm I have no idea to be honest.They might do.I have changed my last name since school so its unlikely they'll find me on FB.I still have a couple of friends that I've known for almost 20 years.I always think that if you are going to stay friends then nothing will break the friendship,
Mysteriouschic
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I always feel that as I move forward in life I'm leaving my friends behind I only keep in touch with a few of them...sometimes get back in contact people from time to time. I probably only speak to about 1 from primary , none from secondary yr7/8 before I moved to Ireland and now finishing the school there I hung around with 10 only speak to 4 of them now.
I have no idea if they still remember me and I was quiet/shy a lot of the time.
Bellissima
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
i think about this, i had some really good friends when i was little, but then we stopped seeing eachother... one i don't know why, they never explained it to me but i have my theories... the others were due to moving away..

i wonder if they ever think about me... it's wierd... i assume they do..
HODG8910
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
They will remember but I highly doubt they care, it's a hard fact of life you will learn to deal with. Friends really do come and go, I've had a lot of friendship groups growing up and I can honestly say there's not many who I really care about either now. It gets easier, you just accept it more because it starts becoming more common.
I've had friendship groups from school, college, travel, university, football and work. I have about one or two from each who I keep at least in some level of contact with, apart from Uni because I still attend and it's where most of my close mates are these days
My advice to you is think about old times in a positive way, you had a great thing back in the day but life keeps going forward. You will meet new people who are like minded and share similar energy, and it's refreshing. You start to realise that your old friends are not actually that special, you are capable of meeting others who are just as crazy as you are, you just have to move on.
I will finish on this, If you have a good family then you will never have to worry about real loneliness. I have had some great friendships & relationships which have fizzled out in the past but my family have always supported me through it all. They are one group which I will always care about and I know they will always care about me, friends can be more disposable when you have a good family.
akashZwarrior
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I dont think that's important because whether they or dont, you will never know. Albeit, i know one thing for sure that if you were the smartest kid or close to being one, then they definitely look for you but even in that case it doesn't matter.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you feel comfortable going back to school on March 8th?

Yes (392)
32.24%
No (824)
67.76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise