The Student Room Group
I'm sure some people have been made on offer after being put on the waiting list, but I doubt it's likely otherwise they would have made you a straight offer. Hang in there and good luck :smile:
Reply 2
I know at least 20 of the 280 people on my course got in from the waiting list, and that's just the ones I know about. You find out on results day.
Reply 3
oh dear the wait is going to kill me
Reply 4
Original post by username2012
oh dear the wait is going to kill me

Make sure the admissions department know who you are. This happened to me last year, on results day I contacted the university and they offered me a place for 2012 entry (unconditional)

Prior to results day I had emailed/phoned admissions a few time, so I'm sure they knew who I was, and I made sure they knew how much I wanted an offer. I got my results at 7:00am and I called them straight away (and had a draft email set up)

You have to be pretty quick - but it definitely happens.

All the best :wink:
Reply 5
Original post by fallenangel
Make sure the admissions department know who you are. This happened to me last year, on results day I contacted the university and they offered me a place for 2012 entry (unconditional)

Prior to results day I had emailed/phoned admissions a few time, so I'm sure they knew who I was, and I made sure they knew how much I wanted an offer. I got my results at 7:00am and I called them straight away (and had a draft email set up)

You have to be pretty quick - but it definitely happens.

All the best :wink:

thanks for this! Will it make a difference if I already have my results? Im on a gap year...

and well done! :biggrin:
Reply 6
thanks for this! Will it make a difference if I already have my results? Im on a gap year...

I'd personally be on their asses - phone them up and ask about their process of offering places to waiting list candidates.

Make sure they know you have the grades and that they are your first choice. Essentially that will tell them that if they offer you a place, you will 100% take it.

Which medical school are you talking about?

And thank-you :smile:
Reply 7

I suppose each University has a different system. However, as an example:

last year, KCL put quite a few people on the waiting list

a friend of mine (on a gap year) was put on the list end of february 2011, and by mid-march received an offer

having results in hand will definitely speed up the process; those who don't, will have perhaps to wait until results day
Reply 8
Um they rejected you and also put you on the wait list? That doesnt make any sense...

You are either rejected or on the wait list, cant be both.
Reply 9
Original post by .eXe
Um they rejected you and also put you on the wait list? That doesnt make any sense...

You are either rejected or on the wait list, cant be both.

well thats what my letter says, it says my application has been unsuccessful (UCAS has updated too) however I have been placed on a waiting list.
Reply 10
well thats what my letter says, it says my application has been unsuccessful (UCAS has updated too) however I have been placed on a waiting list.

It means they like you and will take you if there is a place available after people have firmed decisions or results are in. You're like a reserve in football really... you've got to the bench and now its just about waiting to see if you're going to be put on the pitch or not. You are their insurance choice in essence!

What you hope for is lots of people firm and insure somewhere else when all offers and responses have been made (May) or enough people miss their grades in August for gaps to appear on the course and all the people who put them as insurance choices get their grades and don't go there. So you can see it is not certain and the university themselves will not really be sure what your chances are as it is down to this combination of factors falling right. However neither is it impossible and every year people do make it into medicine from the waiting list.

I know it must be excruciating to be so close and yet so far! However at least you are still in the game and it is not a straight rejection which would mean game over for this cycle...

Good luck

:smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
My best friend got into UEA medicine this way - someone that had a place obviously didn't get the grades and she got a phone call in August telling her she'd been accepted!
Reply 12
thank you for all the replies! :smile:
Reply 13
thank you for all the replies! :smile:

One thing to bear in mind if this doesn't work out this year is that you did get onto the waiting list. I don't know at what stage you got rejections from the rest but it does mean that this place definitely thinks you have all the right stuff to be a doctor and then, for them, it was just a case of numbers applying.

:smile:
Reply 14
Hey there, I am in the exact same position. I got rejected om ucas then put on the waiting list. The med school told me that I might hear from them in May or I should call them da minute I have my results, they even supplied me with a number to call. I too have rejections all round. Its just a waiting game now! Good luckk
Have hope! Its better than a rejection.
I was put on a waiting list and i have just passed finals and am now a doctor. Good luck!
Reply 16
I got placed on the BSMS waiting list last year (deferred entry) pre-interview....then ended up getting a place and am starting there in Sept :smile: don't give up hope! xx
Reply 17
Does anyone know how the med school will contact you if you are offered a place?

Latest

Trending

Trending