'Rahs' at newcastle? Watch

linkdapink
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Haha no worries. I am not a rah. I enjoy rah bashing as much as the next person. I wish I actualy COULD bash my next door neighbour
mattye
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by linkdapink)
Haha no worries. I am not a rah. I enjoy rah bashing as much as the next person. I wish I actualy COULD bash my next door neighbour
Violence against rah's is not condonable! Unless realllly drunk, broke or just pissed off.

Just steal their favourite flip flops, and nab the lovely fillet steak they've got in the fridge...then we'll see how they can survive!!!
linkdapink
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
She lost her bottle opener last night. Hilarious stuff. I swear she nearly cried
bluenoxid
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You're cruel

but honest...
01rorlin
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Walking through Jesmond on a Friday night and the place is full of them (I'm a local 6th Form Student), I've got to say, although I don't like to hear them talk, lots of them are worth a look. lol
bluenoxid
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I have to admit I do agree with you. I can tolerate how they speak but some of them are so dipsy.
shadowrow
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
grrreeeeaaaat i get told i speak with a posh accent cos im southern. im gonna get victimised!!! haha goodie. no im not grammar/private school or stuck up or anything so i reckon i'll be ok..lets hope.
Zii
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I go to a public school (sixth form) in Newcastle and have no idea what the hell a "rah" even is.
Ashes_to_Ashes
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by gordih6)
yeah there are alot of rah's but like the previous poster said, its easy enough to make friends who are more like yourself. Castle leazes is the worst, maybe just avoid that, having said that I stay there and none of my friends are rahs.
From what I've heard castle Leazes is minging, but maybe they are attracted to the word 'castle'. :p:

At every top uni you will get 'rahs', I've heard from two of my teachers who went to Newcaste uni that it has its fair share of 'rah's' but I wouldn't worry. I live here and it's a great place, so much so my teachers have stayed here ever since! (they came from the South). Just don't automatically judge people and they shouldn't judge you. If they do then I wouldn't worry, they probably wont get very far in life!
NJHL
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Oooh dear. I was half convinced by the prospectus and course details to apply here, but everyone would HATE me! I go to a "public" school (remarkably arrogant, even for the usual self-congratulatory private sector lot) and have a fairly posh accent. To top it all off, with all the (unfounded I'm sure) 'racist' tags surrounding it, I'm not sure my Indian ancestry would be...most appropriate.

Daaaaaamn!

That said, I wouldn't say I'm snooty or elitist, but then few ever would...
01rorlin
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Newcastle isn't really racist. Especially the student areas, Jesmond and Heaton are either very middle class or very bohemian and as such you don't see racism.
BlueRoses
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by vicky600)
yeh there are a lot of rahs here!.. well castle leazes because its closest to uni, catered etc
Oh crap I totally applied there.. (I can't cook)

Will it be hellish?
BlueRoses
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by linkdapink)
I'm at Castle Leazes, and although there is an alarming amount of wine coolers in rooms, as well as phone calls to "Daddy" there are also NORMAL people, who do NORMAL things. One of my best friends is from a public school, and was really worried about telling us because she thought we would be mean about it. But its not your background that matters - its the type of person (although I did have to teach her how to use a bank card)

Aaaah I love you!! Thank you for settling me nerves!
yokihi
Report 10 years ago
What are Rahs people?
posh?
bluenoxid
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yes Rahs are mainly posh and arrogant people.
Jo_Guernsey
Report 10 years ago
I live in Castle Leazes at the moment, and before I came I was seriously worried about what I'd heard about the ''RAHfactor''.
I guess I'm pretty lucky because most of the girls and guys on my corridor [and even my whole block in Blackett and on my course] are not rah and would be mortified if someone suggested that they were...BUT...Leazes is still full of them! However, just because there are a few around, it doesn't mean you have to become a rah. It just creates opportunities to have a laugh with your friends, such as when a rugby guy walks into the dining hall wearing ugg boots...or so-called MUGGS [man ugg boots :|]
Jamielvo
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Jo_Guernsey)
It just creates opportunities to have a laugh with your friends, such as when a rugby guy walks into the dining hall wearing ugg boots...or so-called MUGGS [man ugg boots :|]
Lol! They look ridiculous. Especially with the customary trackie bottoms tucked into them of course.

The funniest bit of Rah fashion though is the body-warmer. It'll be over a thin tee-shirt, and they'll be wearing trackie bottoms and flip flops. Everything must be absolutely freezing - but as long as their torsos are warm, everything is fine!

I've been labelled a 'reverse-snob' once, but the vast majority of "public school kids" are alright to talk to and perfectly nice people. Just the odd few drop into the massively annoying Rah category.
katt_47
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah I have to agree I'm at Castle Leazes and the rumours are true, the rahs dominate the place. And I know it's mean but at first the southern accent was a bit of a novelty coming from scotland but now that posh southern accent really grates on me!! I think you tend to gravitate towards people with similar interests tho and I have a really good group of non-rah mates and I love leazes. Also It's good to mix with a variety of people. I've not really come in to contact with ppl like "rahs" back home and some of them I really get on with!
There are loads who get on my tits tho. Like the ones that are so far up their own arses. I hated freshers week cause I was hanging around with a group of really posh girls and found alot of the time when u met people theyd ask "what school did u go to?" like assuming theyd know your school then when they figured out you went to some state school theyd never heard of you'd see them loose interest and go off to talk to someone else...yes seriously! Also the way some people reacted when you said you were from Glasgow, it was like saying ud just murdered a child
01rorlin
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Glasgow is pretty bad though... Ever glassed someone?
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by katt_47)
I hated freshers week cause I was hanging around with a group of really posh girls and found alot of the time when u met people theyd ask "what school did u go to?" like assuming theyd know your school then when they figured out you went to some state school theyd never heard of you'd see them loose interest and go off to talk to someone else...yes seriously! Also the way some people reacted when you said you were from Glasgow, it was like saying ud just murdered a child
That's sad You can't account for someone's ignorance. Is it really that bad though? Even from the very small minority?

I still haven't came across any really bad ones at Durham, the occasional arrogant and obnoxious person sure. People are still generally interested in others' backgrounds though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (529)
80.27%
Leave (130)
19.73%

Watched Threads