The Student Room Group

Instrumental awards

I'm applying for an instrumental award at Cambridge (on the violin) and wonder if anyone could give me any useful information/tips etc on these awards. For instance, is the standard incredibly high (eg you have to be a section leader on NYO to succeed?), what the competition is like, how many awards are given per college etc? I'm grade 8 standard on the piano and somewhere between grade 8 and diploma standard on the violin.

Any info from anyone already at Camb or anyone else applying would be greatly appreciated!

Hedgie
Reply 1
GRADE 8 -> DIPLOMA ON THE VIOLIN!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: I think you'll be ok then. I have been awarded a choral scholarship at Girton startin next year and i managed Grade 8 singin with merit. Your Grades don't matter if you've done then coz it's bassed on the audition you do at the college (but obviously the higher the better!) :wink: What should happen is that you apply for the award when you apply for your course and they'll ask you to go to an audition which will vary in length depending on the college etc. coz the competition is fiercer at certain colleges (don't ask which ones). Audition should be pieces, sight reading and probably some other stuff, can only go on the one i had for voice but if you're as high a standard as you say you are you should have a good chance.
Reply 2
i dont play any instrument never had the opportunity at school and private lessons i couldn't afford, hoping to learn to play keyboard or piano at Uni tho, do oxford/cambridge teach beginners or only scholars?
Reply 3
s-k
i dont play any instrument never had the opportunity at school and private lessons i couldn't afford, hoping to learn to play keyboard or piano at Uni tho, do oxford/cambridge teach beginners or only scholars?

I think anyone can do music if they want to, it's only the serious groups like college choirs and things like that who cater for scholars of music or people who are real good.
I will just warn you about the guy who runs the instrumental award scheme. His name is Andrew Jones (AVJ) and is at selwyn. He took my first interview and was extremely rude to me. He is known for being very old fashioned and I know plenty of ex-students who hate him. He is best known for saying that he didn't know who charlie parker was in a faculty meeting about 15 years ago. Really watch out for him.

MB
Reply 5
musicboy
I will just warn you about the guy who runs the instrumental award scheme. His name is Andrew Jones (AVJ) and is at selwyn. He took my first interview and was extremely rude to me. He is known for being very old fashioned and I know plenty of ex-students who hate him. He is best known for saying that he didn't know who charlie parker was in a faculty meeting about 15 years ago. Really watch out for him.

MB

Sounds awful! :frown: :mad: Can't imagine a nasty music tutor, all mine were (and still) are really nice. Dr Ennis (apologies if that is spelt wrong MB) was real nice when i went to Girton. :smile:
Reply 6
musicboy

MB

Thanks for the warning music boy!
Reply 7
Hedgie
Thanks for the warning music boy!

Wots an intremental award?? Is it like a scholarship??
I want to apply for an Instrumental Award but I don't know if I'm good enough. I'm taking Grade 8 this summer, so by the time I go for the Instrumental Audition (if I get an offer), I should be well over the Grade 8 level.

But what standard are normal Award holders?
Pollo Loco
Sounds awful! :frown: :mad: Can't imagine a nasty music tutor, all mine were (and still) are really nice. Dr Ennis (apologies if that is spelt wrong MB) was real nice when i went to Girton. :smile:

Yeah, I had an interview with Dr ennis. He is seems very good but I hate him for having that beautiful hundred year old steinway in his office. I want it. :smile:

MB
musicboy
Yeah, I had an interview with Dr ennis. He is seems very good but I hate him for having that beautiful hundred year old steinway in his office. I want it. :smile:

MB

I know, it's beautiful isn't it. :smile:
deianra
I want to apply for an Instrumental Award but I don't know if I'm good enough. I'm taking Grade 8 this summer, so by the time I go for the Instrumental Audition (if I get an offer), I should be well over the Grade 8 level.

Dunno but i'm grade 8 singing and i got one so you should be ok.
Reply 12
deianra

Probably depends on your college - at Clare you'd have to be phenomenally good because we have sooooo many musicians here. Other colleges might be a bit easier.
Reply 13
Helenia: is Clare particularly difficult to get in for music? I did get that impression when i was originally thinking of applying for music.

Does anyone here know anything about music (orchestras etc) at Christ's?
Reply 14
Hedgie
Helenia: is Clare particularly difficult to get in for music? I did get that impression when i was originally thinking of applying for music.

Does anyone here know anything about music (orchestras etc) at Christ's?

I don't know about getting in for music, but the 5 first years we do have are all pretty damn amazing, so I'd assume so. Don't know much about Christ's I'm afraid, but there are a few people from there on here, maybe they can help.
Reply 15
bOdOING2
Wots an intremental award?? Is it like a scholarship??

Would som1 plz answer my question? thanx!
Reply 16
bOdOING2

Well, I'm not 100% sure. I think it's just some money if you play an instrument really well. You probably have to commit to doing a certain amount for the college, but I'm not sure. And I doubt the money's much, it's just a status thing really.
bOdOING2

You have to audition when you start and you get 250 pounds a year. For this you have to be part of a chamber group who will get proffessional coaching and you will have to practice for like ages eery day. For me I decided it wasn't worth it because I hate performing (except in orchestra where I can sit at the back and no-one looks at me). If you already practice stupid amounts then it is worth it.

MB

Latest

Trending

Trending