Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Look at the moon right NOW to see planet Venus. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Everyone look at the moon right now, to the top right of it there is a bright star visible, that's planet Venus. I noticed it a few moments ago and decided to Google it too see what it was and it turned out to be Venus
    Here is what it should look like :
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Oh I know, I saw it earlier. Some other stars were surprisingly bright considering how I can't usually see more than 3 but yeah, quite a lot tonight. No one else in my house gives a crap though so I've kept it to myself.

ReputationRep:
    noticed it on the way back from the gym, tempted to dig out my telescope to get a better look.

ReputationRep:
    Uranus was out when you were in the shower as well

ReputationRep:
    If you look up a bit you should be able to see Jupiter as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sliceofcake)
    Oh I know, I saw it earlier. Some other stars were surprisingly bright considering how I can't usually see more than 3 but yeah, quite a lot tonight. No one else in my house gives a crap though so I've kept it to myself.
    Aha, I first thought it was a plane or something but then it wasn't moving so I thought that it was a star but then, stars aren't normally that big so I did more research and was quite thrilled with myself when I found out it was Venus :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Like Drewski just said, you should be able to see Jupiter too. It was in the news recently:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-17312354

ReputationRep:
    oh no, the moon isnt on my side of the window

ReputationRep:
    I think tonight I will actually get my telescope out. I've been watching venus and jupiter for a few days now.

Also Saturn will be making an appearance at some point...will have to check stellarium though.

edit: I'm currently outside trying to find saturn! I reckon it's too low currently, there's trees and light pollution near the horizon.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    :eek3::eek3:
    (Original post by arnoob)
    Everyone look at the moon right now, to the top right of it there is a bright star visible, that's planet Venus. I noticed it a few moments ago and decided to Google it too see what it was and it turned out to be Venus
    Here is what it should look like :

(Original post by Darth Stewie)
    noticed it on the way back from the gym, tempted to dig out my telescope to get a better look.

(Original post by Drewski)
    If you look up a bit you should be able to see Jupiter as well.

(Original post by arnoob)
    Aha, I first thought it was a plane or something but then it wasn't moving so I thought that it was a star but then, stars aren't normally that big so I did more research and was quite thrilled with myself when I found out it was Venus :cool:

OMG, why didn't you guys tell me before, I saw this today and yesterday and thought the two were just randomly really bright stars, of course that was after the planes thought. :eek3:

Saturn, Mars, Jupiter and Venus are all visible at the moment, although Jupiter and Venus will be setting by now (Jupiter is gone for tonight, for sure).

I like Astronomy so much. :love:

ReputationRep:
    I can't find the moon!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    I think tonight I will actually get my telescope out. I've been watching venus and jupiter for a few days now.

Also Saturn will be making an appearance at some point...will have to check stellarium though.

edit: I'm currently outside trying to find saturn! I reckon it's too low currently, there's trees and light pollution near the horizon.

When do you think Saturn will be available to see then :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I kinda want to see this but I'm too lazy to get up. Is it pretty?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanLorenzo)
    I can't find the moon!
    Arg, neither can I. Have been walking around outside but think the damn house is hiding him.

ReputationRep:
    I can't find the moon

ReputationRep:
    FML just nearly fell out the window trying to see :facepalm: That'll teach me for reaching to the window standing on the bath in the dark.

Wasn't even the right window :hmpf:

ReputationRep:
    The Aztecs revered and feared Venus; they called it xux ek' which means Wasp Star

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SleepySheep)
    I kinda want to see this but I'm too lazy to get up. Is it pretty?
    Depends on your definition of pretty. It is fascinating though , I guess :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    cant even see the moon from my house ffs fml :facepalm:

Poll
Do you honestly judge a book by its cover?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.