The Student Room Group

Look at the moon right NOW to see planet Venus.

Scroll to see replies

I wonder if this had anything to do with the dream I had last night.
If you had a dream about aliens from Venus, Jupiter or Uranus don't worry....

(edited 12 years ago)
It looked great :smile: And I've been able to spot Mars as well for the last few days (it's the more reddish dot in the sky).
Reply 63
I saw it last night, very impressive :biggrin:
I saw it :smile: Couple days ago there was Venus and Jupiter visible
Reply 65
The other day I remember seeing the moon almost completely in eclipse and up to the left was a bright star and close to that star a bit higher was another. I told my mum about it, would that perhaps be Venus and Jupiter?
Reply 66
Original post by Nodes Of Ranvier
I saw it :smile: Couple days ago there was Venus and Jupiter visible

In early March, if you were very lucky you could see Mercury, Venus, Jupiter, Mars and Saturn with the naked eye.
Why are so many planets visible and when will this reoccur?
Reply 68
Original post by Linweth
The other day I remember seeing the moon almost completely in eclipse and up to the left was a bright star and close to that star a bit higher was another. I told my mum about it, would that perhaps be Venus and Jupiter?

More than likely, yes.
The moon in eclipse? You mean new moon? An eclipse is when the earth, sun and moon are in a line so the earth casts a shadow on the moon or vice versa.
Original post by SleepySheep
I kinda want to see this but I'm too lazy to get up. Is it pretty?

yes :woo:
Reply 70
Original post by whyumadtho
Why are so many planets visible and when will this reoccur?

By my calculations the planets will not be in exactly the same arrangement for millions of years. However, this does not exclude the possibility of similar arrangements being possible say, next year
Original post by Manitude
By my calculations the planets will not be in exactly the same arrangement for millions of years. However, this does not exclude the possibility of similar arrangements being possible say, next year

:dong: I might go out to see it tonight then.
Reply 72
Original post by Darth Stewie
noticed it on the way back from the gym, tempted to dig out my telescope to get a better look.

you're the whole package aren't you!
Reply 73
Original post by whyumadtho
:dong: I might go out to see it tonight then.

Go for it!
Download Stellarium and you'll have a much better idea about what you're looking at!
Reply 74
More than likely, yes.
The moon in eclipse? You mean new moon? An eclipse is when the earth, sun and moon are in a line so the earth casts a shadow on the moon or vice versa.

Ah yes sorry I meant that... :colondollar:
A VERY crude image of saturn I got by putting my camera in front of my telescope lens:

It looks much clearer when looking through the 'scope with my eye!!!

omg great picture :biggrin: Why are there no stars in the picture around it?
(edited 12 years ago)
Omg I remember seeing this! Didn't know it was Venus though!
Reply 77
Original post by nmudz_009
omg great picture :biggrin: Why are there no stars in the picture around it?

Firstly because there are no stars visible to the naked eye in that particular direction - even through the telescope there's nothing there.

Secondly even if there were stars visible with the naked eye, the exposure on my camera is insufficient to pick them up. My camera is terrible with stars, it has a starry sky mode where the exposure can be increased to a minute, but even then I struggle to get more than a handful of stars visible - when in reality there are tens of thousands!
Firstly because there are no stars visible to the naked eye in that particular direction - even through the telescope there's nothing there.

Secondly even if there were stars visible with the naked eye, the exposure on my camera is insufficient to pick them up. My camera is terrible with stars, it has a starry sky mode where the exposure can be increased to a minute, but even then I struggle to get more than a handful of stars visible - when in reality there are tens of thousands!

Saturn must have looked really clear through your telescope. :P It seems so close but it's actually over a billion miles away, and just worked out a 747 would take more than 230 years to reach saturn at its closest point to the earth :O :cool: the distances are incredible.
(edited 12 years ago)
It still amazes me how many people do not know that the brightest "star" in the sky is Venus.

Heck, just last week Venus and Jupiter were aligned to each other, it looked amazing!

I think everyone should learn a lil bit about our solar system, it's a beautiful place!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending