Turn on thread page Beta

Aup?? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Anyone appling/applied to American University of Paris?

Can I still e a lawyer if my major is International politics?

What's the difference between international politics and international affairs? Both sound the same to me...

BB:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blush Babe)
    Anyone appling/applied to American University of Paris?

Can I still e a lawyer if my major is International politics?

What's the difference between international politics and international affairs? Both sound the same to me...

BB:p:
    don't go there, it's a very very (very!!) bad university. There is really no pride in going there. All you can find is lazy/tourist rich kids who think they are at a US high school doing a tourist trip to Paris. I bet they aren't mean but they simply don't know what to do with their lives.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Octavius85)
    don't go there, it's a very very (very!!) bad university. There is really no pride in going there. All you can find is lazy/tourist rich kids who think they are at a US high school doing a tourist trip to Paris. I bet they aren't mean but they simply don't know what to do with their lives.
    How do u know?
    You go to LSE...

ReputationRep:
    Don't listen to that LSE guy. AUP is a perfectly good school. True it isn't really well known but that's because it's a small american school in france and the french have their french schools and the americans have their schools in america. at least that's my theory. but really it's very international. 40% of the students are american, about 10% french and the rest come from all different countries! true there are some rich snobs who go there, thats what i heard anyway, but you have to remember that everywhere you go there are going to be nice ppl and mean ppl. plus you interact a lot with the local community, and there isnt a lack of ppl in paris, so dont worry. what you have to remember about aup is that it is an american liberal arts college so that means very open minded, mainly humanities courses, small classes with lots of discussions and professors that give you the attention u need. i'm applying there and i hope to get in. you should check out their website http://www.aup.edu . the only problem is that they dont have dorms, and my friend's friend who goes there told me that you probably shouldnt go thru AUP to find housing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maybreeze)
    Don't listen to that LSE guy. AUP is a perfectly good school. True it isn't really well known but that's because it's a small american school in france and the french have their french schools and the americans have their schools in america. at least that's my theory. but really it's very international. 40% of the students are american, about 10% french and the rest come from all different countries! true there are some rich snobs who go there, thats what i heard anyway, but you have to remember that everywhere you go there are going to be nice ppl and mean ppl. plus you interact a lot with the local community, and there isnt a lack of ppl in paris, so dont worry. what you have to remember about aup is that it is an american liberal arts college so that means very open minded, mainly humanities courses, small classes with lots of discussions and professors that give you the attention u need. i'm applying there and i hope to get in. you should check out their website http://www.aup.edu . the only problem is that they dont have dorms, and my friend's friend who goes there told me that you probably shouldnt go thru AUP to find housing.
    you seem to know something about this. i've heard mostly reviews like that lse guy....(lse guy, where did you hear that?) but since they dont have dorms....how do meet people if you're spread accross the city? do people tend to be clustered together? is classes the only place to meet? it does seem like the school would be like a lot of rich american america-bashers whose lives are consumed with hating bush, but...could...be...wrong...:rolleyes: anyone know anyone that goes there?

ReputationRep:
    i guess people are spread across the city but there is an option in the housing which is an independent room. my friend's friend said theyre really small though. but they are usually next to other independent rooms so maybe other students will live near you. but anyway its not that hard to meet with all the public transportation. and they have functions occasionally like all unis. plus since the classes are really small u get to know your classmates really well. and yeah, apparently there are some wicked rich ppl there but there are normal ones too.
    hey i saw u r from boston, thats cool, im originally from belmont. r u from the city or around?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakeR)
    you seem to know something about this. i've heard mostly reviews like that lse guy....(lse guy, where did you hear that?) but since they dont have dorms....how do meet people if you're spread accross the city? do people tend to be clustered together? is classes the only place to meet? it does seem like the school would be like a lot of rich american america-bashers whose lives are consumed with hating bush, but...could...be...wrong...:rolleyes: anyone know anyone that goes there?
    Dude,

I ll be in london next year (2006/7). This year, I m still at Sorbonne so I guess it's "sorbonne guy" for now. I live about 50 meters away from one of aup's campuses and I have a familiar who studied there (shameful, i know).
    People there are rich, fact. I see regularly people gettin in the campus with their fancy cars, the campus in the 7ième is very well located etc.. As for education: Aup has absolutely no reputation what so ever in the french system. That is, french people don't even consider it, no one names it because a regular parisian student never heard of it. As for this cousin who went there, the least I can say is that he's not bright. In fact he is the stereotype of people who attend aup: he's not spoiled but definitively stupid and, above all, he has a rich dad (who didn't care much about him anyway). He has a good job though, but not thanks to aup, thanks to daddy again! Anyway, these schools exist everywhere. I lived for a long time in Vienna and you also get to have this lame "international" university where all you see is sons of UN diplomats who didn't manage to get into a decent university elsewhere.
    Nah really, if you don't have the brain to get into something better, I bet you can still have a good experience there. I guess they party a lot, enjoy Paris and life. This opinion is just for those who want a challenging education and my advice would be: avoid it by all means.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Octavius85)
    Dude,

I ll be in london next year (2006/7). This year, I m still at Sorbonne so I guess it's "sorbonne guy" for now. I live about 50 meters away from one of aup's campuses and I have a familiar who studied there (shameful, i know).
    People there are rich, fact. I see regularly people gettin in the campus with their fancy cars, the campus in the 7ième is very well located etc.. As for education: Aup has absolutely no reputation what so ever in the french system. That is, french people don't even consider it, no one names it because a regular parisian student never heard of it. As for this cousin who went there, the least I can say is that he's not bright. In fact he is the stereotype of people who attend aup: he's not spoiled but definitively stupid and, above all, he has a rich dad (who didn't care much about him anyway). He has a good job though, but not thanks to aup, thanks to daddy again! Anyway, these schools exist everywhere. I lived for a long time in Vienna and you also get to have this lame "international" university where all you see is sons of UN diplomats who didn't manage to get into a decent university elsewhere.
    Nah really, if you don't have the brain to get into something better, I bet you can still have a good experience there. I guess they party a lot, enjoy Paris and life. This opinion is just for those who want a challenging education and my advice would be: avoid it by all means.
    Well if I plan to go to Paris it's either AUP or learn french at alliance francaise for a year and apply to french unis....
    Housing is not a problem for me.

Bonus for AUP: it's in english and not in England (I have a feeling that I won't like UK vey much - may be depressing and a lot more humid than Paris)
    Bonus for french uni: I can study Law (the course I want)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maybreeze)

Which uni do u go to?

Oh God, I'm getting conflicting opinions.... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    i dont go to any uni, im a senior in high school and i applied to aup. i talked to someone who goes there and someone who took a few classes there and is going to go there. plus i checked out the website a lot. if i get in, which yeah, apparently it shouldnt be a problem, but that doesnt mean its a **** school, then itll be between there and royal holloway, and the sorbonne guy will probably tell me to go to rhul cuz its u of london, right? royal holloway seems cool but its not in the city and if i dont live in a city soon i will explode.... but anyway, thats a diff subject....

ReputationRep:
    you should probably just visit aup and ask one of the admissions ppl about the law thing. ultimately i think you should go wherever you feel most comfortable

ReputationRep:
    Another really important question is to consider where you want to live after you finish undergrad? Studying law as an undergrad still means that you have to go to law school in States, if that's where you're planning to end up. And, I have no idea whether a law degree from AUP would qualify you for the French bar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Earlham)
    Another really important question is to consider where you want to live after you finish undergrad? Studying law as an undergrad still means that you have to go to law school in States, if that's where you're planning to end up. And, I have no idea whether a law degree from AUP would qualify you for the French bar.
    AUP doesn't offer law and the reasons I didn't apply to US are:
    1) Too far away
    2)A law degree is just too long (esp compared to the UK where it's only 3 YEARS!)
    Although I have not been to other places in France, I love Paris. I go there every summer, lived there till I was 6, my mum met my dad there, my mum lived and studied there when she was 16 etc. And I think it has a more lively atmosphere than UK.

I could just abandon law if I lke AUP or go there for 1 year, take french classes for a year or so and apply to a french uni. Since I want to go into corporate/business/company law, I don't think it'll be too different in every country. I mean in my country law is taught only at ONE uni and it's in Arabic, yet you get all these foreign lawyers so there must be a way around the law system...

ReputationRep:
    To be honest if you want to study law, dont go to AUP. On the other hand if you happen to be in love with the language or culture, consider it. I'm an american student have applied to four american colleges in europe and applied to four uni's in the UK. I have a friend whose sister goes to AUP, she absolutly loves it. But thats her! lol.

Ummmm. Lets see. Unless you want a liberal, and I mean a liberal and broad education, dont go to AUP. The main difference between our colleges/universities and your uni's is the fact that we dont really 'specialize' in any specific field...well...at least not as in depth as you guys.

Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blush Babe)
    AUP doesn't offer law and the reasons I didn't apply to US are:
    2)A law degree is just too long (esp compared to the UK where it's only 3 YEARS!)
    A law degree is three years in the US.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tajel)
    A law degree is three years in the US.
    That's absolutely true, but you cannot proceed to this degree in the US without having completed an undergraduate degree, which is in must cases, 4 years...sigh...more time, more debt, more money. Someone is making a huge profit out of all this, and it sure isn't students.

ReputationRep:
    HI,
    I know this chat is from 11 years ago but I am really considering AUP as an option to study english lit (comparative literature). I'm from England and I would like to know if anyone has been/knows if it is a good uni?
    From the comments above it's hard to tell what it is really like there? And a lot could have changed since these posts were made?

University open days

• University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.