The Student Room Group

Divorce Rates Are At Worst Ever. Why?

Most people argue that we are living in peak times, we have access to wide variety of knowledge within seconds, we are socially and technologically connected through social networks, mobile phones.

Arguably a larger percentage of the population is more attractive now, not because of any physical changes to human biological make up but rather more access to tools such as make up, hair gel, skin products than previous generations.

The average lifestyle of a UK family is much better than before, many having 2 cars, their own house (as opposed to rented accommodation), holidays etc. This should mean we are happier and stronger as human beings as more of our needs are being met.

However, we keep hearing things like paedophile cases, rape, crime increasing. One are which I would like to focus on is divorce rates.

Divorce rates are at an all time high currently in the UK/USA from various sources. My endless frustrations begin firstly when this issue is largely being overlooked. The importance of a stable family life cannot be stressed enough to determining an individuals overlook on life. A child who has to travel up and down the country from their mother or fathers location will no doubt achieve less.

This notion is supported by many different reports. The damage a divorce does to a child is immense. I can agree with this, the kids that were in my class that 'messed' about, a lot of them were from single parent backgrounds (of course I am not conclusively suggesting that kids from married couples are perfect). Some of these kids were bright and intelligent but obviously their minds were not at ease and they could not focus on the books and as a result a lot of them did not even make it to higher education.

Divorced parents add too much pressure to already under pressure teenagers because of this society's obsession with an unattainable definition of perfection (i.e. you can never look like an airbrushed model because she herself is airbrushed).

Question is why is the divorce rate going up when things are so 'good' in today's age, and more importantly what can be done about it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
There is no one answer to this kind of question, a couple may get a divorce for any reason. I think part of the reason divorce is on the rise is because it used to be frowned upon, so it was a rarity for a couple to get a divorce, but nowadays its so common it's almost becoming normal and expected, so couples no longer hesitate to get a divorce if they're not happy. It's part of this great modern lifestyle we have; it includes a lot more free will. If someone isn't happy in a relationship, they're not going to stick at it anymore for fear of being judged, they'll do what makes them happy. And in that sense I think it's a good thing. But as you say, it has terrible consequences for children which sucks. My friend is a perfect example of this, it was horrible to watch :/
Reply 2
People like sex. In a marriage you're not meant to be having sex with other people. Thus they get a divorce so they can have sex with other people. Or their divorce is the result of their partner finding out they've been having sex with other people. It's that simple. The divorce rate is rocketing because it's becoming more socially acceptable to be a slut.

I think the best thing to do to prevent divorce would be to ban condoms and close down sexual health clinics. When the best form of protection is to not be a slut then people won't be a slut. They'll start to value sleeping with the same person and lasting marriages will follow.

What I find funny is how most gays are shouting on for gay marriage yet you'd be hard pressed to find a gay who even wants a relationship nevermind a marriage. There should be no debates on the issue until people change their attitudes to relationships, it's a complete waste of tax payer's money.
Reply 3
Original post by Sephiroth

What I find funny is how most gays are shouting on for gay marriage yet you'd be hard pressed to find a gay who even wants a relationship nevermind a marriage.

What a complete absurd and unsubstantiated piece of crap.
Reply 4
Original post by Tommyjw
What a complete absurd and unsubstantiated piece of crap.

Let me guess, you're a 17 year old gay boy who thinks they're going to find Mr. Right before they're 18 and get married etc.? I see that a lot from people your age. The reality is different however.
Reply 5
I think there are a few reasons. People are living longer, theres more pressure in life, its easier to get a divorce and its not as frowned on to get divourced like in olderden days.
highest not worst
Reply 7
Let me guess, you're a 17 year old gay boy who thinks they're going to find Mr. Right before they're 18 and get married etc.? I see that a lot from people your age. The reality is different however.

20 and straight actually.

Did that ruin your fun? LAst time i check the only homosexual couples weren't all under the age of 18. Infact i believe, shock horror, many will be older and already be in long relationships. Does that annoy you? You are so bigoted that this annoys you?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by imy7
There is no one answer to this kind of question, a couple may get a divorce for any reason. I think part of the reason divorce is on the rise is because it used to be frowned upon, so it was a rarity for a couple to get a divorce, but nowadays its so common it's almost becoming normal and expected, so couples no longer hesitate to get a divorce if they're not happy. It's part of this great modern lifestyle we have; it includes a lot more free will. If someone isn't happy in a relationship, they're not going to stick at it anymore for fear of being judged, they'll do what makes them happy. And in that sense I think it's a good thing. But as you say, it has terrible consequences for children which sucks. My friend is a perfect example of this, it was horrible to watch :/

I think that is the interesting part of this issue, how can something be great if it causes problems of such magnitude in society.

I think we need to look at possible solutions. We of course want society to be open and free willed. But the question I ask my self, is there a limit? Where are the limiting points, who decides what is too much and what is too little?

The current divorce rate is around 3-4 per thousand here in the UK. Something has to be done otherwise our future generation will be severely compromised.
Reply 9
Original post by Tommyjw
20 and straight actually.

Did that ruin your fun? LAst time i check the only homosexual couples weren't all under the age of 18. Infact i believe, shock horror, many will be older and already be in long relationships. Does that annoy you? You are so bigoted that this annoys you?

Oh right, that explains why you know absolutely nothing about gay life.
Reply 10
Oh right, that explains why you know absolutely nothing about gay life.

Ah, i see, stating irrelevant points to try and gain some high ground after your bigoted little statement got caught out

So lets be direct.

"you'd be hard pressed to find a gay who even wants a relationship nevermind a marriage."

Prove it.
Being divorced is the new thang. :wink: It just shouts "Hey, I'm a sex machine with a fat bank balance".

I wish I could get divorved some day.. :daydreaming:
Original post by konvictz0007
Most people argue that we are living in peak times, we have access to wide variety of knowledge within seconds, we are socially and technologically connected through social networks, mobile phones.

Arguably a larger percentage of the population is more attractive now, not because of any physical changes to human biological make up but rather more access to tools such as make up, hair gel, skin products than previous generations.

The average lifestyle of a UK family is much better than before, many having 2 cars, their own house (as opposed to rented accommodation), holidays etc. This should mean we are happier and stronger as human beings as more of our needs are being met.

However, we keep hearing things like paedophile cases, rape, crime increasing. One are which I would like to focus on is divorce rates.

Divorce rates are at an all time high currently in the UK/USA from various sources. My endless frustrations begin firstly when this issue is largely being overlooked. The importance of a stable family life cannot be stressed enough to determining an individuals overlook on life. A child who has to travel up and down the country from their mother or fathers location will no doubt achieve less.

This notion is supported by many different reports. The damage a divorce does to a child is immense. I can agree with this, the kids that were in my class that 'messed' about, a lot of them were from single parent backgrounds (of course I am not conclusively suggesting that kids from married couples are perfect). Some of these kids were bright and intelligent but obviously their minds were not at ease and they could not focus on the books and as a result a lot of them did not even make it to higher education.

Divorced parents add too much pressure to already under pressure teenagers because of this society's obsession with an unattainable definition of perfection (i.e. you can never look like an airbrushed model because she herself is airbrushed).

Question is why is the divorce rate going up when things are so 'good' in today's age, and more importantly what can be done about it?

Mens Testosterone levels are getting bigger.
Reply 13
Benefits.

Remove walfare, divorce rates decrease.
Reply 14
Original post by konvictz0007
I think that is the interesting part of this issue, how can something be great if it causes problems of such magnitude in society.

I think we need to look at possible solutions. We of course want society to be open and free willed. But the question I ask my self, is there a limit? Where are the limiting points, who decides what is too much and what is too little?

The current divorce rate is around 3-4 per thousand here in the UK. Something has to be done otherwise our future generation will be severely compromised.

That's the problem; anyone who tries to take away our free will even if its just a little will be slaughtered (metaphorically i hope, lolz)
Reply 15
Bitches are making terrible sandwiches.
Original post by Tommyjw
Ah, i see, stating irrelevant points to try and gain some high ground after your bigoted little statement got caught out

So lets be direct.

"you'd be hard pressed to find a gay who even wants a relationship nevermind a marriage."

Prove it.

Come on now, that's like asking me to prove god doesn't exist.

It's a lot easier to prove something does exist and nearly impossible to prove something doesn't exist.

So go on, prove to me that a majority of gays want relationships and marriage. Spend a month on Fitlads, Gaydar, Grindr, your local gay scene, your uni's LGBT society etc. and come back with your results.

Or you could just cry yourself to sleep while desperately hammering your mouse button at people's -reputation links.

At the end of the day you have zero experience of gay life, whereas I have tonnes. If gays did relationships I'd certainly not be single right now having spoken to probably 10000 gays in my life. I've yet to encounter one who is looking for more than cock, often bareback cock too. There's a reason like 1 in 7 gays in London have HIV.
Reply 17
It's because divorce is more socially accepted and easier to obtain. In short, people in the past stayed together because they had to, or felt they had to.
Reply 18

It's a lot easier to prove something does exist and nearly impossible to prove something doesn't exist.

You made the comment in an objective way, not my fault you lack the actual information or logic to prove its true :smile:

So go on, prove to me that a majority of gays want relationships and marriage.

Burden of proof on the person who made the point =] . Ive never stated the majority do, only point i have made is you putting forward that statement. Which, as you have shown, you actually have zero clue whether it is true or not and just used it as a way to try and gain some high ground on an argument in which you otherwise have facts on.

. I've yet to encounter one who is looking for more than cock, often bareback cock too. There's a reason like 1 in 7 gays in London have HIV.

I know 12 gay couples, and only 3 single gay guys. Ages between 20 and like 40 something. Tell me, am i allowed to make an objective statement purely based upon my experience? Nope, no i am not, exactly like the fact you are not. So please try to gain some intelligent and stop triyng to present your indivudal experience as if it is factual knowledge :smile:
Reply 19
Come on now, that's like asking me to prove god doesn't exist.

So go on, prove to me that a majority of gays want relationships and marriage. Spend a month on Fitlads, Gaydar, Grindr, your local gay scene, your uni's LGBT society etc. and come back with your results.

Or you could just cry yourself to sleep while desperately hammering your mouse button at people's -reputation links.

At the end of the day you have zero experience of gay life, whereas I have tonnes. If gays did relationships I'd certainly not be single right now having spoken to probably 10000 gays in my life. I've yet to encounter one who is looking for more than cock, often bareback cock too. There's a reason like 1 in 7 gays in London have HIV.

I am gay and I do not want promiscuous sex. I am an advocate of long term, stable relationships and a supporter of gay marriage.

Shush.

Quick Reply

Latest