The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

[video="youtube;jB2GRept7BQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB2GRept7BQ&feature=player_detailpage#t=2111 s[/video]

wtf is that at 35:11 mark..
Being lean is all about diet.
Reply 1662
Original post by cowsforsale
[video="youtube;jB2GRept7BQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB2GRept7BQ&feature=player_detailpage#t=2111 s[/video]

:lolwut::eek::s-smilie::confused:
Original post by alex_tait

This.

You don't need to do sports. How would sports necessarily help apart from burn off calories? Also, top of their sports are usually on steroids so...

true to an extent intensity of training matters too, for instance I've always ate clean and 500 above maintenance and i'm not even lean ;( , assitance works really helps with making you look bigger and stuff.
Original post by Gallium
true to an extent intensity of training matters too, for instance I've always ate clean and 500 above maintenance and i'm not even lean ;( , assitance works really helps with making you look bigger and stuff.

Your body doesn't care about whether or not the food you eat is clean or dirty. 500 above maintenance would result in greater fat gains as well as faster muscle gains than 300. How lean were you to begin with and how long have you been 500 over maintenance?

I'm at 91kg right now and will most likely end up cutting when I get to 95kg. I was gonna go to 100kg but I really wanna see how I look with this excess fat off.
Original post by Gallium
I've always ate clean and 500 above maintenance and i'm not even lean

Could that possibly be because you're eating more calories than you need? :hmmmm2:
Your body doesn't care about whether or not the food you eat is clean or dirty. 500 above maintenance would result in greater fat gains as well as faster muscle gains than 300. How lean were you to begin with and how long have you been 500 over maintenance?

I'm at 91kg right now and will most likely end up cutting when I get to 95kg. I was gonna go to 100kg but I really wanna see how I look with this excess fat off.

well i started training at 125lbs, im around 160-165 atm..... started of at really low bodyfat sub 10% i'd say i'm a good 15-16% atm ( can slightly see abs in good ligthing).... but I've not always consistently gained weight, happens in bursts then slows down for a bit

i agree with the whole clean/dirty thing, but macro nutrient ratios do matter IMO
Original post by McHumpy92
He is muscular because he lifts weights and eats lots and he is lean because he play competitive sports.

I always say on here you need to be playing sports on top of your lifting. Most people that lift without doing other sports are fat.

Inclined to agree with you. I'm sure you can get lean through purely diet. But the reality is the majority of people of enviable leanness do a lot of sport.

Also do you think whether its anaerobic or aerobic makes a difference?
Original post by cowsforsale

She's like an ugly Nicki Minaj who can't rap.
I think I agree.

firstly, playing a sport (and training for it regularly) means you don't have to focus the whole thing on diet, which obviously makes it easier to stay lean (that's definitely the case for me)

But secondly, isn't there some sort of thing whereby training for sports or whatever makes your body less likely to store fat? Or more likely to burn it or something? Like they say HIIT does?

Anecdotal:
Before I boxed I tried to get lean through diet alone and was fairly successful but could never prevent some loss of muscle too. When I started boxing I found it much easier to STAY lean and keep size.
Your sport (especially if it is a weight class sport) may make it easier to achieve dietary goals but it would still come down to diet. Nutrient partitioning is effected by your genetics and your current body fat level as far as I know.
Even if there's no science to back it up I would imagine there's some undiscovered reasoning behind it. Your body adapts to the stimulus you put on it. And a stimulus of heavy weights, big eating and lots of running means you need muscle but not really fat. So surely your body will go towards that.
I'm super-heavyweight so weightclass never really came into it for me tbf.

I think it's just easier to eat what I want and exercise loads than not exercise at all and try to stick to a really strict diet
High intensity cardio is good for body composition? Shocker. Only about 500 dumbasses who tell everyone to do HIIT in the main forum knew that, loving the fact that it's new info to us.
Original post by The Troll Toll
High intensity cardio is good for body composition? Shocker. Only about 500 dumbasses who tell everyone to do HIIT in the main forum knew that, loving the fact that it's new info to us.

So... I'm right then? :confused::cool:
I disagree.

Playing a sport makes it a **** load harder. You think trying to add muscle on a cut (near impossible) is going to be easier on purely diet or sport and diet? If you play a sport you're gonna kill your recovery and make it so much harder to maintain/build muscle.

Yes, you can eat more if you do more sport but the stress of playing a sport is a lot more than cutting down on some carbs.

I think it's wrong to say most who play a sport are very lean. Most who are very lean are just lifters/bodybuilders. Yes you get some 100m runners who are very lean but don't forget they are all on drugs. Plus, yes, they're quite a few lean/big NFL players but again most are not HYOOGE or very lean.

Edit: And let's not forget that most of these guys at the top of sports are genetic gods! Thus they will have it all - strength, size, lean - which will rarely be the case. Think about that one. Genetics matter a **** load too - who can boast a 315 bench press at 14 years old? Kirk Karwoski can, I doubt many could.
(edited 11 years ago)
I see a lot of people who play sport at my uni who just look awful. Body composition really has nothing to do with whether or not you play sport on top of lifting. If you control your macros and calories well and you lift properly then you will have a decent body composition with or without sport.
Back is getting better .. deadlifts here I come.. SOON!
Tbh never really noticed anyone on my school Rugby team with good physique at the gym.

My entire rugby team is fairly weak relatively and the ones i have seen have a higher bf % than me so not exactly lean...

They all out curl or bench me but equal or lower to me on full body lifts...

Latest